In today’s digital world, the pain of a lost mobile phone can’t be matched. As our phone got stolen a lot of questions arise immediately in our minds like How do I block my lost phone to stop misuse, Can I track my phone’s location, etc. To help citizens in the cases of stolen mobile phones, the government of India has developed the Central Equipment Identity Registration (CEIR) portal. With the help of this portal, you can block the handset that has been stolen.
CEIR Portal is also instrumental in tracking the lost mobile phone. In this post, we will provide you information on how to block a lost mobile phone using ceir.gov.in portal.
About ceir.gov.in portal
- CEIR full form is Central Equipment Identity Registration
- In simple words, we can say that CEIR is a central system for all network operators to share blacklisted mobile devices. In this way, the devices blacklisted in one network will not work on other networks even if the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card in the device is changed.
- The government decided to launch this portal to curtail the counterfeit mobile phone market.
- This portal will also discourage mobile phone theft, protect consumer interest and facilitate law enforcement authorities for lawful interception.
- Authorities manage a database that connects to the IMEI database of all the mobile Operators. So, they can block an IMEI number whenever they want.
Benefits of CEIR Portal for users
The main benefits of the implementation of the CEIR initiative by the government are given below.
- The major benefit is that you can easily block the mobile handset that has been stolen. In this way, you can prevent its misuse by the thief.
- You can check if the second phone you are buying is legitimate or not.
- This portal will also help authorities with law enforcement and lawful interception.
My phone is stolen/ lost how to block its IMEI number
If your phone is stolen then you can block the phone’s IMEI number by the following means.
- First of all, you need to file a report with the police and keep a copy of the report.
- Then, get a duplicate SIM card for the lost number from your telecom service operator. Here, by telecom service operator we mean sim card operators like Airtel, Jio, Idea/ Vodafone, etc.
- Getting a duplicate sim card is necessary because u will need to provide this as the primary mobile number (OTP will be sent on this number) while submitting the request for blocking your IMEI.
Note: Please note that the SMS service will begin on your new SIM only after 24 hours of the SIM activation as per the TRAI’s regulation.
- After getting a duplicate SIM, you must get your documents ready. The documents we are talking about are a copy of the police report and Identity Proof. You may also provide the phone purchase invoice.
- Visit the official registration page for the blocking of the IMEI numbers of stolen phones i.e. https://ceir.gov.in/Request/CeirUserBlockRequestDirect.jsp.
- Here, you need to provide device information, lost information, and mobile owner personal information accurately.
- In the registration form, you also need to attach the necessary documents.
- Once you are done with submitting the form, you will get a request ID.
- Keep this request ID safe once you are done submitting the form. You can use the same to check the status of your request and for unblocking the IMEI in the future.
You can also block the IMEI number through TSP’s specified customer outlets and through the state police.
My Lost/ stolen phone is found – How can I unblock a blocked phone?
If you have found your lost or stolen phone then you can unblock its IMEI number. In order to unblock the lost/ stolen phone’s IMEI, you will have to report the local police and inform them that your phone is found. After informing the police, you can unblock your phone by any of the following means.
Through official website
- First of all, you will have to visit the official registration page to request for unblocking recovered/ found mobile i.e. https://ceir.gov.in/Request/CeirUserUnblockRequestDirect.jsp
- In the registration form, you need to provide your request ID, Mobile Number (Which was provided for OTP while booking), Reason for unblocking, and Mobile Number for OTP.
- The IMEI will be unblocked after submitting the form.
The second method is to unblock a blocked phone is through TSP’s specified customer outlets.
Check: Top 10 mobile companies list
CEIR Know Your Mobile (KYM) Portal
Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) also offers “Know Your Mobile (KYM)” service. Using this service, you can check if a mobile phone is legal before buying. To use this service, you just need to check the IMEI number printed on the packaging box / mobile bill/ invoice. You may also check the IMEI number of your mobile by dialing *#06#.
After knowing the IMEI number, you can feed the same in the Know your mobile portal. In case the status of the phone is blacklisted, duplicate, or already in use then you should not buy it. The three methods to verify the IMEI number of the KYM portal are as follows.
- You can verify your IMEI number by sending an SMS. Type KYM < your 15 digit IMEI number> and send it to 14422.
- The status of your phone will be on your screen.
Through Official web portal
- Visit the official website of CEIR i.e. ceir.gov.in/home/index.jsp.
- On the official website, you should click on the “click here” button available under Know Your Mobile (KYM).
- Enter your mobile number and click on the “Get OTP”.
- Then verify the “OTP” that you will receive on your mobile phone.
- After that, enter the 15 digit IMEI number of your phone.
- The status of your phone will then display on your screen.
Through Know your Mobile App
- You may also verify your IMEI through the Know your Mobile app available on the Google Play Store.
- First, you need to download and install the know your mobile app.
- Open the application and enter the IMEI Number
- The status of your phone will display on the phone once you are done entering the IMEI number.
What is the process to track a lost phone?
The citizens of India can now track the lost phones. You may follow the procedure given below to track the phone.
- First of all, you need to lodge an FIR about the loss of your phone.
- After successful verification, the police will hand over you an FIR copy.
- Then, the person will have to inform DOT through helpline number 14422.
- The Dot will then blacklist the IMEI number and do the need to track the lost phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you can’t get the live location of a phone through the CEIR portal.
The CEIR operates under the Department of Telecommunication, Government of India.
No, blocking the IMEI doesn’t prevent the police from tracking the lost/ stolen phones.
You should the IMEI number of your phone only it is found and is in your possession.