The government of India is taking multiple solid steps to digitize the healthcare sector of India. Under this mission, the national health authority under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has decided to allot unique ABHA IDs to all citizens of India. It is a unique 14-digit number that will work as an identity for an individual in India’s digital healthcare ecosystem. So, it is recommended to create ABHA ID as soon as possible to be a part of India’s healthcare digitization.
Unfortunately, many of us still don’t know how to create an ABHA number. This post is to help such citizens. Here, we will let you know the exact steps to generate an ABHA number in 2023 and download your ABHA Health Card.
ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) Overview
|Name of the Scheme||Ayushman Bharat Health Account|
|Launched by||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare|
|Documents Required||Aadhaar Card/ Driving License|
|Application Fee||Free of cost|
Benefits of ABHA ID
Before diving into the steps, let’s take a look at the general benefits that an ABHA number can offer you.
- Unique and trustable identity – This number will work as your unique identity. It will get linked to your personal information making it a reliable way to verify your identification. This can be helpful when accessing services that require proof of identity such as healthcare or employment benefits.
- Hassle-free access to services – With this number, you can easily access a range of services without having to provide additional documentation. You will not have to go through lengthy verification processes. This can save time and reduce the stress.
- Easy sign-up for PHR (personal health records) – This number makes it easier for you to sign up for PHR (Personal Health Records). You may access these records anywhere at any time. This will play a crucial role in keeping track of medical history and staying on top of healthcare needs.
- Unified Benefit – With the help of this number, the government will be able to provide healthcare benefits directly. For example – the government will use the ABHA number to provide public health insurance benefits.
Steps to Create ABHA Number and Download ABHA Health Card
Creating an ABHA ID is a simple process that can be done through various methods. Details of each method are as follows.
Through the ABHA portal
- The first method is to visit the ABHA portal at abha.abdm.gov.in.
- Here, you need to click on the “Create ABHA Number” button available at the top.
- Now, you can complete the verification either using your Aadhaar number or using a driving licence.
- The ABHA Number will be generated after completing the verification.
- Finally, you can download the ABHA Health Card and take a print of the same for future requirements.
Using ABHA App
- Another option to create an ABHA ID is through the ABHA app.
- Alternatively, you can use the ABDM partner app like Aarogya Setu, Driefcase, or Ekacare.
- All these apps are available on the play store and app store.
- Just like the website, you just need to register and complete the verification to download the ABHA Health Card through the app.
Through Central and State Government Programmes
- To make the ABHA program reach every citizen of India, the government has provided facilities to create an ABHA through various Central and State Government programmes such as CoWin, NCD, RCH, Nikshay, etc.
- These programmes provide health services to millions of citizens and create ABHA IDs as part of their services.
- It is quite possible that you might have created an account on CoWin during the Covid-19 vaccination drive. You can use that account to create your ABHA ID.
With the help of Hospitals and CSC
- In case you are living in an area with no internet connectivity then you may get your ABHA ID created in assisted mode by hospitals, Customer Service Centres, etc
- You will have to visit these places with your Aadhar card.
- Representatives will verify your identity and create an ABHA Health Card for you.
Generate ABHA ID without OTP on Aadhaar Linked Number
Entering the OTP sent to your Aadhaar-linked number is the easiest way to get your identity verified at the time of ABHA ID generation. However, there are many individuals who don’t have access to the phone numbers linked with their Aadhaar cards.
Fortunately, you can also generate an ABHA number by your biometrics (fingerprint/ face). The option of facial recognition is available in the ABHA Android app and a fingerprint option is offered by ABDM partners including Government programmes, public and private hospitals, etc.
Difference between ABHA Health Card and Ayushman Card
It is observed that many people are getting confused between ABHA Card and Ayushman Card. Please note that an ABHA card is the identity of the individual in the digital health ecosystem in India. This ecosystem is established by the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
On the other hand, Ayushman Cards are generated and issued under the AB-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana. The aim of the Ayushman card is to enable its beneficiaries to avail benefits of health insurance.
Deleting ABHA Number
Please note that ABHA is a voluntary service. You can opt out of the same with your free will whenever you want. You may log into the ABHA portal and request for temporary deactivation or permanent deletion of your ABHA number.
Official Contact Details
To know more about the scheme, you may contact the officials of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Address – 9th Floor, Tower-I, Jeevan Bharati Building, Connaught Place, New Delhi – 110001.
- Phone Number – 1800-11-4477
- Helpline – 14477 (Toll-Free)
Frequently Asked Questions
You can create an ABHA ID using your Aadhaar Card or Driving Licence.
In case of misplacing the card, you can log in to your Ayushmaan Bharat Health Account at abha.abdm.gov.in using your mobile number to retrieve your ABHA number. This portal provides an option to download and print the ABHA card whenever you want.
Yes, you can use a phone number to create up to 6 ABHA numbers.