Lateral entry will be given to the candidates in JNV against the number of vacancies arising under different circumstances. Admissions will be provided into classes IX and XI depending on the number of vacancies, if any. For enrolment into class IX, a selection test (JNVST) will be conducted. Admissions will be given in class XI on the basis of performance of the candidates in their 10th board exams. Application for the class IX and XI will be tentatively released in the month of October 2019 and May 2020 respectively in online mode. Complete details related to the JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 are provided here in this article below.
Major Highlights of JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020
- Candidates must verify their eligibility criteria before they apply for the admissions.
- 30% of students in Class-IX from a Vidyalaya located in Hindi speaking area spend one academic year in a Vidyalaya in non-Hindi speaking area and vice versa.
- Details of the exam (center, date, time, etc) for class 9 selection test will be communicated to the candidates via the admit card.
- Application forms submitted after the last date is over will not be considered and no request in this regard will be entertained.
- NVS can refer any candidate to medical board for confirmation of their age in case any doubt arises about the age mentioned in the age supporting document.
JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 Important Dates
In the table below, the tentative dates related to JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 are given:
|For class IX||For class XI|
|Availability of online application form||3rd week of October 2019||2nd week of May 2020|
|Last date to submit the application form||Last week of November 2019||2nd week of June 2020|
|Issue of admit card||1st week of January 2020||——–|
|Date of selection test||1st week of February 2020||——–|
|Declaration of result||Last week of March 2020||Yet to be notified|
JNV Lateral Entry Eligibility Criteria
Check below the detailed eligibility criteria required for appearing in the JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020:
For Class IX:
|Age limit||Candidates must be born between 1st May 2004 and 30th April 2008 (both days inclusive).|
|Educational qualification||The candidates should be studying in class 8th of any Government or Government recognized school located in the district in which the JNV admission is sought.|
For class XI:
|Age limit||Date of Birth of the candidate should be in between 1st June 2002 to 31st May 2006 (both days inclusive).|
|Educational qualification||The candidate must have passed Class X from a recognized school affiliated to CBSE or any State Education board or any other recognized board. The school should be situated in the state where the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya is located.|
Application Form for JNV Lateral Entry Test
The application form for JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 will be released in online mode. The candidates can get the application form by visiting the official website of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti www.navodaya.gov.in.
- In the form, the candidates will have to provide the important information such as name, father’s name age, gender, email id, phone number, etc.
- Academic details such as qualifying exam passing year, marks obtained, etc will also be asked in the application form.
- The candidates will also have to upload their photograph and signature into the form in scanned format.
- Care must be taken while entering the details in the form as any incorrect data can make the application liable for rejection.
- The duly filled application form can then be submitted online before the last specified date.
- The candidates are advised to keep a printout of the application form with them in case of future use.
- There is no need to send the printout of the application form or any other document to the NVS.
The exam pattern for the class IX JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 is given below:
For Class IX
- Mode of exam: The exam will be conducted in offline mode, i.e., as pen and paper based test.
- Exam duration: Duration of the exam will be 2 hours and 30 minutes (additional 30 minutes for the children with special needs).
- Medium of exam: Questions will be asked in both English & Hindi languages.
- Number of questions: A total of 100 questions will be asked in the paper.
- Type of questions: All the questions will be of objective type.
- Total marks: The paper will carry a total of 100 marks.
- Center of exam: Exam center will most probably be the JNV of the concerned district or any other center as indicated in the admit card.
|Topics||No. of questions||Total marks|
*No selection test will be conducted for lateral entry admission to class XI.
The syllabus for the class IX selection test is given in detail below. All the questions will of class 8 level.
- English: Word & Sentence, Modal Auxiliaries, Comprehension, Use of Prepositions, Passivation, Use of Degrees of Comparison, Structure Spelling, Tense Forms, Rearranging Jumbled Words and Reported Speech
- Hindi: Formation of Sentence, Correction of Sentence, Varna Vichaar, Proverbs, Shabd Bhed, Antonyms & Synonym and Shabd Vivek
- General Science: Natural Phenomena, Force, Light, Electric Current, Food, Material, Living & Non Living Beings, Reproduction and Solar System
- Mathematics: Rational Numbers, Direct & Inverse Proportion, Squares & Square Roots, Cubes & Cube Roots, Exponents & Powers, Percentage, Simple & Compound Interest, Profit & Loss, Algebraic Expressions, Understanding of Quadrilaterals, Mensuration and Data Handling
- The admit card for class IX JNV Lateral Entry Test 2020 will be made available on the application portal.
- Applicants can download the admit card using their application number, date of birth or any other details as asked.
- Once downloaded, the candidates should take a printout of the admit card and carry it to the exam center.
- Exam center details will be printed on the admit card along with certain basic details of the candidates.
- The candidates who fail to carry a valid admit card while reporting for the exam will not be allowed to enter the exam hall.
- Result of the class 9th selection test will be notified at the notice board of the Vidyalaya.
- Candidates can also check the result from the official websites of the concerned JNVs.
- A list of the selected candidates will be made in order of ranking and published on the website.
- For class XI, the list will be drawn on the basis of marks scored by the candidates in their class 10th board exams.
- This list can be checked form the notice board and official websites of the concerned Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya.
- Kindly note that the selected candidates will also be intimated by the Principal of the concerned JNV via SMS or speed post.
- Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of selection test or class X board performance, as applicable.
- District-wise as well as state-wise merit lists of the candidates will be prepared.
- The shortlisted candidates whose names appear in the merit list will have to undergo medical test by the panel of Vidyalaya Doctors.
- Only the applicants who clear the medical fitness test will be considered for final selection.
- Final admissions of the candidates are subject to fulfillment of their eligibility and verification of original documents.
Scheme of Studies
Streams available in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas will be allotted to students as per the criteria decided by the Samiti for allocation of streams to the students joining Class XI as under:
|Subject combination||Eligibility for Lateral Entry Candidates|
|For General/ OBC candidates||For SC/ ST candidates|
|Science with Mathematics|
|Science & Mathematics||62.50%||60%|
|Average of all Subjects||62.50%||60%|
|Science without Mathematics|
|Science & Mathematics||57%||52%|
|Average of all Subjects||57%||53%|
|Commerce with Mathematics|
|Average of all Subjects||50%||50%|
|Commerce without Mathematics|
|Average of all Subjects||50%||50%|
|Humanities/ Vocational Stream||All students who are declared pass|