National Cherry Day is celebrated every year on 16 July by people all over the United States. Cherries are synonymous with summer and therefore to celebrate the season, July 16th provides the perfect occasion to observe National Cherry Day. Cherries can be used to create a variety of dishes, ranging from desserts to drinks and it also provides a number of health benefits to the human body. To get more interesting details about National Cherry Day 2023 such as its significance, ways to celebrate it with different cherry recipes, etc, keep reading this article.
National Cherry Day 2023 Overview
|Event||National Cherry Day 2023|
|Date||July 16, 2023|
|Observed by||United States|
|Purpose of celebration||To celebrate the upcoming cherry-filled summer season with a blast.|
National Cherry Day Upcoming Events
Below mentioned are the upcoming dates for National Cherry Day for the next 5 years.
|National Cherry Day 2023||July 16, 2023||Sunday|
|National Cherry Day 2024||July 16, 2024||Tuesday|
|National Cherry Day 2025||July 16, 2025||Wednesday|
|National Cherry Day 2026||July 16, 2026||Thursday|
|National Cherry Day 2027||July 16, 2027||Friday|
Significance of National Cherry Day
Cherries are a special fruit that marks the beginning of the summer season. There are a number of recipes you can prepare with cherries to enjoy the summer like jams, tarts, pies, muffins, scones, and more. Not only do cherries make everything taste better, but they also contain within them numerous health benefits. Low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals, cherries also have antioxidants in abundance and they prevent dehydration which makes them a perfect fruit to be consumed in summer. To celebrate the multiple benefits of cherry, especially in summer, National Cherry Day is celebrated every year on July 16.
History of the National Cherry Day
Cherries were first introduced in the US in the 1600s and the modern-day cherry production began back in 1852. The popularity of cherries grew soon after and their production surpassed every other crop in the nation. To celebrate the popularity and benefits of this fruit, National Cherry Day began to be celebrated in the country. However, it is not exactly known when and how the celebration of this day began.
Check other important days in July
Celebration of National Cherry Day 2023
On the occasion of National Cherry Day, treat yourself to some cherry-based dessert. You can either bake something yourself or you out to a bakery to enjoy cherry pie. Cherry cocktails in summer are also a perfect way to celebrate the day. You can also go visit any nearby cherry farm where you can enjoy these fruits picked straight from the trees. You can locate a U-Pick farm anywhere in the USA and plan a trip with your friends and families.
National Cherry Day with Cherry Pie
If you are up for baking some cherry pie yourself to celebrate National Cherry Day, here’s a basic recipe to help you out with it.
2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 pinch salt, ½ cup cold water, 2 cups pitted sour cherries, 1 ¼ cups sugar, 10 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add butter and pulse the mixture until it turns a little coarse.
- Mix in cold water by hand just until the dough is crumbly but still holds together.
- Divide the dough into two parts and make them into disks. Refrigerate them for about an hour.
- Roll out 1 dough disk into a circle, press it into a pie dish, and place it in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the remaining dough disk to make the top crust, transfer it to a plate, and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place a baking tray in the oven to preheat.
- Place cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the juices thicken. Remove from heat and stir in butter and allow filling to cool to lukewarm.
- Now, pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, cover it with the top crust, and seal the edges. Cut the dough to create vents for steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crust turns golden brown. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
July 16 every year
Known for their juiciness and sweetness, Bing Cherries are one of the best types of cherries.