In India, National Unity Day 2023 will be celebrated on Tuesday, 31st October 2021. The aim of this day is to commemorate the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. He was the first home minister and deputy prime minister of India.
Sardar Patel played an instrumental role in the political integration of India. This is the reason why National Unity Day is also known as Rāshtrīya Ekta Diwas. Before Independence, India was divided into several princely states. It was due to the efforts of Sardar Patel, that we have a united, strong, and integrated India.
A large number of functions and events are organised on this day throughout the country. It is the perfect opportunity for all of us to take a pledge to ensure that we all always stay united as Indians and resolve our differences peacefully.
Overview of National Unity Day 2023
|Name of the day||National Unity Day 2023|
|Also Known as||Rashtriya Ekta Diwas|
|Type of the day||National|
|Date||31st October 2023|
History of National Unity Day
Rashtriya Aikya Divas is a relatively new celebration in India. It was introduced by the Modi government in 2014. Sardar Patel, also known as the “Iron Man of India,” was a prominent leader of the Indian National Congress.
He was also a freedom fighter who played a significant role in the independence of India. After independence, he served as the first home minister of India. During his tenure, he was instrumental in uniting over 500 princely states with the Dominion of India, ensuring the territorial integrity of the nation.
His efforts to create a new united India earned him the nickname “Iron Man of India”. In 2014, after being elected as the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi established this day. He also introduced many activities for this day such as the “Run for Unity” Marathon and pledge-taking ceremonies.
National Unity Day Pledge
On this day, the following pledge is read in the government offices.
“I solemnly pledge that I dedicate myself to preserving the unity, integrity, and security of the nation and also strive hard to spread this message among my fellow countrymen. I take this pledge in the spirit of the unification of my country which was made possible by the vision and actions of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. I also solemnly resolve to make my own contribution to ensure the internal security of my country.”
Objectives and Significance
The aim of National Unity Day aims to preserve the unity and integrity of India. It is also a day to remember the sacrifices made by Sardar Patel and other leaders in upholding the unity of India.
The day of 31st October was chosen because it is the birthday of Sardar Patel. He was the most crucial figure in integrating many princely states in India like Hyderabad, Junagarh, etc.
Ways to Celebrate National Unity Day
There are many ways by which you can take part in National Unity Day celebrations. A few of them are as follows.
- Participate in Run for Unity – It is quite possible that a Run for Unity marathon might be happening in your area on this day. You can take part in such a marathon to celebrate National Unity Day.
- Learn About Sardar Patel – You can use this day to enhance yourself and learn more about Sardar Patel.
- Volunteer for a Cause – Engage in community service activities such as cleaning drives, tree plantations, etc.
- Take a pledge – Organise a mass gathering with your friends and family. In this gathering, you can take the unity pledge and reaffirm your commitment to fostering unity and harmony in India.
- Film Screening – You may also organise screenings of movies or documentaries that highlight the journey and contributions of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Social Media Campaign – Launch a social media campaign using hashtags like #NationalUnityDay
10 Facts about Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was known as the “Iron Man of India” for his strong leadership and determination.
- He was a famous lawyer before joining the Indian independence movement.
- Sardar Patel played a vital role in the Bardoli Satyagraha. It was a peaceful movement against oppressive taxes imposed by the British Raj.
- He was also involved in drafting the Indian Constitution because was a member of the Constituent Assembly.
- He was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna (India’s highest civilian honour) in 1991.
- Sardar Patel is also remembered for organising relief efforts during the devastating floods in the state of Gujarat in 1927.
- He was also known for his simple lifestyle. Once he sold his wife’s jewellery to fund the congress party.
- Sardar Patel was also a strong advocate of women’s rights.
- He became the president of Congress for its 1931 session in Karachi after the signing of the Gandhi-Irwin Pact.
- Patel was committed to the welfare of farmers. He worked towards improving agricultural practices and the irrigation system in India.
Statue of Unity
The Statue of Unity is a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the banks of Narmada in Gujarat. It is the world’s tallest statue with a height of 182 metres (597 feet). Narendra Modi announced this project on 7th October 2013.
It was inaugurated on 31st October 2018. Today, it is one of the iconic tourist destinations in India. By November 2022, the Statue of Unity was visited by 10 million people.
|National Unity Day 2023||Tuesday||31st October 2023|
|National Unity Day 2024||Thursday||31st October 2024|
|National Unity Day 2025||Friday||31st October 2025|
|National Unity Day 2026||Saturday||31st October 2026|
Frequently Asked Questions
It is on Tuesday, 31st October 2023.
It was celebrated for the first time in 2014.
Women of Bardoli
15th December 1950.