“There is a lot of speculation when it comes to actors’ and actresses’ salaries. But, what about directors? Directors like Karan Johar and Rohit Shetty charge crores of rupees for a movie. Know who are the top ten richest directors in Bollywood”
Bollywood has always been a dynamic part of the Indian film industry that continues to prove itself as one of the world’s most well-known movie industries. With films still coming out today, Bollywood is changing and adapting to the times in order to stay relevant for the Indian audience. The directors of Bollywood have some of the highest earners in the Indian film industry. If you have a look at the list of richest directors in Bollywood you will find that many of them earn more than actors and actresses.
The main reason why directors are paid so highly by producers is that the director’s jobs are hard. They are in charge of the movie from beginning to end. They must ensure that their movie has the best cinematography, editing and special effects. Apart from this, some directors have their own fan following as well. People always queue up in theaters to watch movies by top Bollywood directors like Rajkumar Hirani, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Rohit Shetty, etc.
10 Highest Paid Bollywood Directors in 2023
To be a good director in Bollywood, you need to have some qualities. You should know how to work well with actors, crew, and producers. Plus, if we talk about the best directors you will see that all of them are natural storytellers. So, their movie always awakens the hearts of the audiences
|Name of the Director||Net Worth in 2023|
|Karan Johar||Rs. 1500 Crores|
|Rajkumar Hirani||Rs. 1300 Crores|
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali||Rs. 940 Crores|
|Anurag Kashyap||Rs. 850 Crores|
|Meghna Gulzar||Rs. 830 Crores|
|Kabir Khan||Rs. 400 Crores|
|Anurag Basu||Rs. 330 Crores|
|Rohit Shetty||Rs. 290 Crores|
|S.S. Rajamouli||Rs. 110 Crores|
|Zoya Akhtar||Rs. 100 Crores|
Also Read: Richest Directors in the Word
1. Karan Johar
- Introduction – Karan Johar is a great director because he has the ability to make people laugh, cry, and think. One of his qualities is that he always tries to make movies that are different from others. He is a director of movies such as Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Kal Ho Naa Ho, and many more. His movies have grossed over $25 million worldwide, making him one of the most successful directors in Bollywood ever. In 2013, he was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for his contributions to Indian cinema.
- Top Movies – Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, My Name is Khan, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna
- Age – 50 Years
- Net Worth – Rs. 1500 Crores
2. Rajkumar Hirani
- Introduction – Rajkumar Hirani is an Indian film director and screenwriter who has been in the industry for over 30 years. He is best known for directing the highly successful films “3 Idiots” and “PK”. His films have received critical acclaim from audiences and critics alike and are considered to be some of the best films in Bollywood history. He won the Filmfare award for the best film and director for the movie PK in the year 2014. Currently, he is making his film “Dunki” featuring Shahrukh Khan which is set to release this year.
- Top Movies – Munna Bhai MBBS, Lage Raho Munna Bhai, 3 Idiots, PK, Sanju
- Age – 60 Years
- Net Worth – Rs. 1300 Crores
3. Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Introduction – Sanjay Leela Bhansali has been a pioneer in the Bollywood film industry. His movies have always been recognized for their unique and innovative style that has set him apart from other directors. Apart from this, his movies are known for their lavish sets and beautiful costumes. If you are a Bollywood fan then you might know that Sanjay’s movies have been critically acclaimed and have also been nominated for the Oscars. He is truly an amazing director. “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam” a movie directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali won 4 National Awards and 9 Filmfare Awards. His latest release “Gangubai Kathiawadi” is also appreciated by the audience. For his contribution to Indian Cinema, he received the Padma Shri award in 2015.
- Top Movies – Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Devdas, Black, Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela, Bajirao Mastani, Gangubai Kathiawadi
- Age – 59 Years
- Net Worth – Rs. 940 Crores
4. Anurag Kashyap
- Introduction – Anurag Kashyap is a director who has won numerous awards for his films. He started his career in the early 1990s and quickly rose to fame with his first film Black Friday, which was an instant hit. He has a reputation for making films with dark themes and complicated plots. He is also known for directing films with a lot of violence, sexual content, and a lot of swearing. Anurag is the director of critically acclaimed films like Black Friday, Gangs of Wasseypur, Bombay Velvet, and Dev.D. He is a winner of the prestigious Yash Bharti Award.
- Top Movies – Gulaal, Return of Hanuman, No Smoking, Bombay Velvet, Raman Raghav 2.0
- Age – 50 Years
- Net Worth – Rs. 850 Crores
5. Meghna Gulzar
- Introduction – Meghna Gulzar is a unique director, screenwriter and producer who has been hailed as one of the most promising directors in the industry. Meghna is the daughter of popular writer Gulzar and actress Rakhee. She is best known for her patriotic movie “Raazi”. She is also the director of critically acclaimed movie “Talvar”. She earned a film fare nomination for this movie even though it was a box-office failure. Currently, she is working on her next venture “Sam Bahadur” with Vicky Kaushal.
- Top Movies – Dus Kahaniyaan, Talvar, Raazi, Chhapaak
- Age – 49
- Net Worth – 830 Crores
6. Kabir Khan
- Introduction – Kabir Khan is a very successful Bollywood director. He has made several films in the past, including Ek Tha Tiger, New York, and Bajrangi Bhaijaan. His films are known for their unique storylines and loveable characters. Kabir Khan has a unique style of directing which includes his own unique camera techniques and editing techniques. Kabir Khan has also worked on many TV shows (including The Forgotten Army – Azaadi ke Liye) which have earned him a lot of money. Kabir Khan is a very successful director with many awards under his belt.
- Top Movies – Kabul Express, New York, Ek Tha Tiger, Bajrangi Bhaijaan, 83
- Age – 54
- Net Worth – Rs. 400 Crores
7. Anurag Basu
- Introduction – Anurag Basu is a top Bollywood director who is known for his films like ‘ ‘Murder’’ and ‘Barfi!’ He creates films that are not only entertaining but also very relatable. In his films, he portrays characters who are struggling to find their place in society, and struggle of finding love. His films have an important message that is not often seen in Bollywood films. He started his career with intense films like Life in a Metro, Murder, Gangster, and Kites. Nowadays, he is making comedy films too. His latest release was a black comedy Netflix film “Ludo”. He has also been working for Television shows since 1996.
- Top Movies – Gangster, Murder, Kites, Jagga Jasoos, Ludo.
- Age – 48
- Net Worth – Rs. 330 Crores
8. Rohit Shetty
- Introduction – Rohit Shetty’s movies are always jam-packed with action and comedy, and it’s not just the action that makes his movies so good. Rohit Shetty is also known for his unique casting choices. If you’re a fan of Masala Bollywood movies, then you will definitely want to check out some of his movies. Shetty has been able to produce some of the biggest blockbusters in Bollywood history like Chennai Express and Dilwale. A lot of people also give him credit for improving the image of police officers in India with movies like Singham, Singham Return, and Simmba.
- Top Movies – Golmaal, Singham, Bol Bachchan, Simmba, Sooryavanshi, Indian Police Force (Web Series)
- Age – 48 years
- Net Worth – Rs. 290 Crores
9. S.S. Rajamouli
- Introduction -After the release of his magnum opus, Baahubali: The Beginning, Indian cinema was finally given a real superhero movie. The film was a box-office success with a budget of over Rs 180 Crores ($ 26 million) and became the highest-grossing Indian film of all time. Rajamouli’s films are known for their spectacular visuals and epic stories that have won him the title of one of India’s most successful directors. You should know that three of his movies, Baahubali: The Beginning in 2015, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion in 2017, and RRR in 2022 are among the top five highest grossing-films in India to date. The Government of India honoured him with Padma Shri 2016 for his contribution to the field of Art.
- Top Movies – Magadheera, Chatrapathi, Eega, Baahubali, RRR
- Age – 49
- Net Worth – Rs. 110 Crores
10. Zoya Akhtar
- Introduction – Zoya Akhtar is one of those amazing who has made a huge impact on the Bollywood industry. She is a part of the first generation of Indian filmmakers to become internationally famous. If you want to check her work then you should watch Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Talaash, and Gully Boy. She is the daughter of popular lyricist Javed Akhtar. She has also worked as a lyricist in the Hollywood movie “Bride and Prejudice”.
- Top Movies – Lust Stories, Ghost Stories, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Dil Dhadakne Do, Gully Boy.
- Age – 50
- Net Worth – Rs. 100 Crores
Frequently Asked Questions
Karan Johar is the richest director in Bollywood with a net worth of Rs. 1500 Crore.
Dangal with a worldwide earning of Rs. 2,200 crores or US$338 million.
Satyajit Ray (director of Apu Trilogy)