Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is also known as the iron man of India. He played an instrumental role in shaping the modern in which we are living today. Now, in honour of Sardar Patel, the government of India has started Sardar Patel National Unity Award. The objective of this award is to honour those citizens and organizations that work for the unity of India. Promoting unity in India is also an objective of SPNU Awards 2023.
The Sardar Patel Nation Unity Award (SPNU) is going to be the biggest award in India in the field of unity and Integrity. In this post, we are going to discuss all the important information related to the SNPU Award 2023.
What are SPNU Awards?
All important highlights and information regarding SPNU awards are as follows.
- Sardar Patel National Awards will be given to those who will promote the National unity and integrity of India. It is going to be the biggest Indian award for Unity and Integrity.
- The announcement of the winner of this award will be done on 31st October every year because it is the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. National Unity Day is also observed on 31st October 2023.
- The award will include a medal and citation.
- There will not be any cash prize in the SPNU award.
- These awards will be given by the president of India with a certificate stamped by the president himself.
- The awards will be given just like the padma award in a function organized in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- At the time of the award-giving ceremony, a memorable book having a photograph of Sardar Patel will be launched. This will have information about the quotes of Sardar Patel regarding the unity and integrity of India. The name, photographs, and citation of awardees will also be present in this book.
- The names of the honorees will be published in the Gazette of India on the day of the award ceremony and a register of all such award recipients will be maintained.
- Not more than three awards will be given in a year. Awards will be given on the selection of suitable candidates by the Samman Committee for that year.
- It’s not an honorary title. It must not be used ahead of and after the name of the recipient. It can of any misuse this award will be taken back.
- This award will not be given posthumously except in exceptional and most deserving cases.
Eligibility for Sardar Patel National Unity Award 2023 (SPNU Awards)
- Any citizen of India without any discrimination on the basis of religion, caste, sub-caste, gender, birthplace, age, and business can get the SNPU Award 2023.
- Only individuals/ organizations / institutions will be eligible to apply for this honor.
Criteria for receiving honors (Sardar Patel National Unity Awards)
- To get this award the applicant should have done exemplary works to promote and encourage national unity and integrity. They should be a source of inspiration to others and restore the values of a strong and united India.
How to apply for Sardar Patel National Unity Awards 2023?
The application process of the Sardar Patel National Unity Awards is as follows.
- Nominations will be invited publicly every year. In order to application forms will be in invited in online mode.
- In order to apply, applicants need to submit the application form through the official website specially designed by the home ministry.
- Every year, applications will be invited from 1st June to 13 July.
- It is not necessary that you need to apply for yourself. Any citizen of India or any institution or organization situated herein may nominate any person, institution, or organization to be considered for conferring this award.
- An individual/ organization or institution can also nominate themselves for the award.
- Recommendations for awards may also be invited from State Governments/UT Administrations and Ministries/Departments of the Government of India who will send their recommendations online.
Screening of SPNU Awards Application 2023
The screening committee will screen the applications received. Some important details about this screening committee are as follows.
- A screening committee is going to be formed under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The chairman of this committee will be Special Secretary/ Additional Secretary, with two Joint Secretaries as Members.
- The committee will screen the applications received on the basis of eligibility and completeness. It will then create a short brief profile of each nomination.
- It is also the responsibility of the committee to verify the work claimed to be done by the candidates.
- Remember, the screening committee also has the authority to search for other deserving candidates for the award.
- After doing all the required verification, the screening committee will then forward the applications processed before the award committee.
- Candidates shortlisted by the screening committee will be subjected the verification by the investigation authorities of the Indian Government. This verification will ensure the characters and antecedents of all candidates.
Sardar Patel National Award Committee
The award committee will get the applications after the screening committee.
- The award committee may be constituted by the Prime Minister of India.
- Apart from the PM, the committee will also include the Cabinet Secretary, Principal or Additional Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Home Secretary, and Secretary to the President as Members along with 3 to 4 eminent persons as per the Prime Ministers choice.
- In order to make sure that the award is always considered prestigious, the committee will apply the highest standards while choosing a candidate for the Award.
- The names selected by the Award Committee are forwarded to the prime minister, home minister, and president of India for approval.
- No award will be presented without recommendation by the award committee.
Frequently Asked Questions
The criteria of SPNU is very clear, the nominee must have done outstanding efforts and notable contributions to promote and strengthen the cause of national unity and integrity. The nominee should be an inspiration to others and reinforce the value of a strong and united India.
The major objectives of Sardar Patel National University (SPNU) award are as follows.
To honour those individuals who selflessly promote the cause of India’s national integrity and unity.
To respect those who strengthen the fabric of India as one nation.
In addition to this, SPNU award also recognizes those who are the inspiration to others by their ideas and works that strengthen the unity of India.
Please note that no monetary grant or cash award is attached to the SPNU award 2023.
No, the Sardar Patel National Unity Award will not be given to anyone posthumously except in very rare and highly deserving cases.
It is compulsory for you to provide the following information –
Details of the nominee (Potential Awardees)
Date of Birth
Name of Father/ Spouse
Area of Expertise
Citation, Written by Nominator
Significant Contribution of the Nominee/ Applicant Achievement
Awards/ Recognition Received by the Applicant/ Nominee
Impact of the work done by the Nominee/Applicant Contribution to the Field
Contribution to the Society
Yes, you can nominate someone else if you want. However, the person/ institution/ organization should meet the eligibility criteria.