“The greatest Disney Princess movie of all time is finally coming to theatres in 2023! Many people are looking forward to the release of the film, and are eagerly awaiting it to begin. In this blog, we will look at the most recent details of the film, and of course, the release date.”
Disney is releasing a live-action remake of the classic 1989 animated film, “The Little Mermaid.” The film is set to release in theatres on May 26, 2023. Fans of the original have been eagerly awaiting the release of this live-action adaptation, which will likely bring in a lot of revenue and excitement. In today’s post, we will discuss many interesting details about this timeless classic movie.
The Little Mermaid Release Date and Where To Watch
Disney’s The Little Mermaid is coming to theatres on May 26th! This classic movie is a must-watch for any Disney fan. The Little Mermaid is not just a great Disney movie, but it’s also a great story with an important message. Ariel must learn to be brave and follow her dreams. This movie is a must see so make sure you are going to the theatre on June 17th to watch this classic Disney movie.
The good thing about this movie is that it is not going to get affected by Covid-19 anymore. Originally, the film was scheduled to release in 2020. However, it got delayed 2 times due to the pandemic. Now, It is going to be released as per the schedule. So, check your local listening and watch Little Mermaid at a theatre near you.
Synopsis/ Plot of The Little Mermaid 2023
A beautiful young mermaid, named Ariel, falls in love with a human prince, Eric, who she saves from a shipwreck. The two of them spend their lives together in a beautiful underwater world where they live happily and she sings to him on land. However, the two eventually realize that they cannot be together and must part ways. Ariel is determined to find a way to be with her beloved prince once again but tragedy strikes when Ariel learns that she cannot be with Eric because she is not human.
The story involves a lot of twists and turns. Ariel makes a deal with the evil sea witch to experience life on land and the love of Prince Eric.
|Name of the movie||The Little Mermaid|
|Producer||Marc Platt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Rob Marshall, John DeLuca|
|Writer||David Magee, Jane Goldman|
|Music by||Lin-Manuel Miranda (New Lyrics), Alan Menken (Score and Songs), Howard Ashman (Classic Lyrics)|
|Studio||Walt Disney Studios, Lucamar Productions, Marc Platt Productions, 5000 Broadway Productions|
The Little Mermaid 2023 Cast
There are a lot of speculations about the cast of Little Mermaid. We have complete information about the cast of this movie. Check out the details below.
- Halle Bailey as Ariel
- Jonah Hauer-King as Prince Eric
- Javier Bardem as King Triton (Father of Ariel)
- Melissa McCarthy as Ursula (Evil Sea Witch)
- Kajsa Mohammar as Karina (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Sienna King as Tameka (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Karolina Conchet as Mala (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Nathalie Sorrell as Caspia (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Simone Ashley as India (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Lorena Andrea as Perla (Ariel’s Sister and one of the daughters of Triton, renamed for the film)
- Noma Dumezweni as Queen Selina – A new character for the film
- Art Malik as Grimsby (Eric’s loyal butler)
- Daveed Diggs as Sebastian (a loyal crab and King Triton’s trusted servant)
- Jacob Tremblay as Flounder (Anxious yet noble tropical fish)
- Awkwafina as Scuttle (A Friend of Ariel and a dimwitted diving bird)
Difference between The Little Mermaid 1989 and 2023 Films
In 1989, the movie The Little Mermaid was released. In the film, Ariel meets and falls in love with a human prince. The prince’s father, King Triton, is furious with Ariel for falling in love with a human and banishes her from the kingdom. In 2023, The Little Mermaid is set to be released. The film is a modern retelling of the original story and Ariel is not just a mermaid but a woman who has been living underwater for centuries and has never seen the surface of the ocean. These two films have many differences because they are based on different time periods. A few of the major differences are as follows.
- Ariel’s hair was vibrant red in the 1989 movie. But, this time her hair is more natural red and braided.
- Instead of a male seagull, scuttle is going to be a female diving bird.
- A few new characters are going to make entries like Queen Selina and Eric’s mother.
- instead of a young male regal angelfish, Flounder will be a teenage blue fish.
- In this movie, Prince Eric is going to have his own song.
- Ariel is going to have six sisters with different names ending with the letter A – Mala, Karina, India, Caspia, Perla, and Tameka.
Some Interesting Facts About The Little Mermaid 2023 Film
The original Little Mermaid was released in 1989 and became an instant success. Let’s go through some interesting facts about the movie that you might not know.
- Initially, when the idea of this movie was proposed, it was rejected by Disney. Ron Clements informed the world about this fact in 2006.
- The evil sea witch “Ursula” is actually inspired by a famous drag queen and actress Divine. Unfortunately, she died a year before the movie was released.
- Originally, Disney wanted Bea Arthur to voice Ursula.
- The Little Mermaid 2023 is going to be the first exclusive theatrically-released remake of a Disney Animated Canon movie since Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. It is due to Mulan and Pinocchio being switched to Disney+.
- This movie is the 4th collaboration between Rob Marshall and Disney. The other three collaborations are Into the Woods, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and Mary Poppins Returns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Halle Bailey is playing Ariel in the Little Mermaid.
The character of Ariel is based on Han Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid”. However, the directors of the film thought the original story was too tragic for the film. This results in the character of Ariel.
Alan Menken and Ashman won the oscar award for best original score in 1990.
Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Feature Animation, Silver Screen Partners IV.
We hope you liked our blog post about the new Little Mermaid movie coming out in 2023. We had a lot of fun writing this article for you, we hope you got to enjoy it too! Please let us know what you thought of the movie in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!