Industrialization is thriving in India. More and more companies are setting up manufacturing plants here. Still, we can say that the Indian economy is agro-based. A major portion of its population is dependent on agriculture. Protecting crops from insects and pests is an indispensable part of agriculture. That’s why pesticides are extensively used.
Thankfully, there is a large number of pesticide manufacturing companies in India that offer effective products against pests, insects, etc. In today’s post, we are going to share the list of the top 11 pesticide companies in India that is highly reputed and popular in the country.
11 best pesticide companies in India
Here is our list of the top 11 best pesticide companies in India. Please note that we have taken care of many factors while compiling this list like overall reputation, market share, etc.
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Year of Establishment – 1974
- Type –Subsidiary of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Revenue – ₹350,773 crore (US$49 billion) as of 2020
- Number of Employees – 10,352
- Website – www.hindustanpetroleum.com
- Products – Petroleum, Natural gas, LNG, Lubricants, Petrochemicals
- Overview – Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) is one of the top pesticide companies in India. It is a subsidiary of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). Currently, the company has a 25% market share in India among public sector undertakings (PSUs). In the year 2016, the company ranked 367th on the Fortune Global 500. The crop production products manufactured by the company are as follows – HP HMO, HP Spray Oil, Tea Spray Oil, and Rubber Spray Oil.
Bharat Insecticides Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1977
- Type – Manufacturer of Technical Grade Pesticides and Intermediates In-compliance to International Standards
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Revenue – NA
- Number of Employees – Approx. 1000
- Website – bharatgroup.co.in
- Products – Acetamiprid, Bifnthrin, Fipronil, Imidalcloprid, Lambda Cyhalothrin, Phenthoate, Thiamethoxam, etc.
- Overview – Started in the year 1977, Bharat Insecticides Ltd. is often considered a “Face of Farmers” company. It is one of the top 5 Indian Agrochemical Companies with a group turnover of more than INR 2000 crores. The company is a brainchild of a visionary Mr. S.N. Gupta. The company specializes in the manufacturing of insecticide production with a turnover of more than 11 billion. A few of the major products manufactured by Bharat Insecticides Ltd. are as follows – Biltora, Bilton, Tejas (insecticide in the class of Phenyl Pyrazole), and Billion.
Hindustan Antibiotics Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1954
- Type – First public sector drug manufacturing companies
- Headquarters – Pune, India
- Revenue – USD 12 million
- Number of Employees – 1500
- Website – www.hindantibiotics.in
- Products – Antibiotics like Penicillin, Streptomycin, Gentamicin, Amoxycillin
- Overview – Hindustan Antibiotics Ltd. (HAL) is a government of India company. It was set up in the year 1954 with the co-operation of WHO and UNICEF with the social objective of providing affordable drugs throughout India. The company has the honour of being the first public sector drug manufacturing company started by the government of India. It was inaugurated by the first prime minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru. Agricultural products manufactured by the company are as follows – Aureofungin (anti-fungal used in the preservation of the fruits and vegetables), Humaur (bio-organic foliar spray), Azotomeal, Streptocycline (antibacterial for effective control of diseases in plants), Phosphomeal.
BASF India Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1865
- Type – Multinational Company
- Headquarters – Ludwigshafen, Germany
- Revenue – €59.316 billion as of 2019.
- Number of Employees – 117, 628
- Website – basf.com
- Products – Chemical, Plastics, Biotechnological products, Sefina, Basagran, Acrisio, Adexar.
- Overview – BASF stands for Badische Anilin- und SodaFabrik (German for ”Baden Aniline and Soda Factory”). It is a german multinational company that has a strong presence in India. The company manufactures a large number of products and chemicals. However, in India, the company gives greater emphasis on higher-value products such as coatings, pharmaceuticals, pesticides and fertilizers. Some of the widely used Products manufactured by BASF are as follows – Sefina, Basagran, Acrisio – I, Adexar – II
Sumitomo Chemical India Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1913 (Sumitomo Chemical Company Limited (SCC) parent company)
- Type – Private Chemical Manufacturer
- Headquarters – Mumbai, India
- Revenue – Rs. 2661.62 crores
- Number of Employees – 1500
- Website – http://sumichem.co.in/
- Products – Crop Protection, Biological, Plant Nutrition & Plant Growth Regulators, Fumigants & Rodenticides, Farmer’s Safety, Household Pesticides, Professional Pest Control, Vector/Public Health, Animal Nutrition
- Overview – Sumitomo Chemical India Ltd. is a renowned company in India that manufactures products for Crop Protection, Grain Fumigation, Rodent Control, Bio Pesticides, Environmental Health, Professional Pest control and Feed Additives for use in India. Slowly the company has carved a niche for itself in the field of agriculture.
Currently, the company has 5 manufacturing units and more than 1500 employees in India. Apart from India, the company has marked its presence in Africa and several other geographies of the world. The most common products sold by SCIL in India are CELPHOS, BORNEO, LEADER, SUMI MAX, MEOTHRIN, LANO, etc.
Bayer CropScience (India) Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1863
- Type – Corporation limited with share ownership
- Headquarters – Leverkusen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Revenue – €43.545 billion as on 2019
- Number of Employees -103,824 approx
- Website – www.bayer.com
- Products -Veterinary drugs, diagnostic imaging, general and specialty medicines, women’s health products, over-the-counter drugs, pesticides, seeds, plant biotechnology
- Overview – Recently, Bayer completed its 125 years in India. It is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year global history and core competencies in the areas of agriculture and healthcare. The company is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Apart from this, the company enjoys a unique position in the market because of its capability to offer new innovative products, technologies, processes, services and business models.
Bayer Group is very big in India. Currently, there are following legal entities in India under this group – Bayer Pharmaceuticals Private Limited, Bayer Zydus Pharma Private Limited, Bayer BioScience Private Limited, Bayer Vapi Private Limited, Monsanto Holdings Private Limited, Monsanto Investments India Private Limited and Mahyco Monsanto Biotech (India) Private Limited.
A few of the notable products from this company are Admire (it is an insecticide for crops like cotton, rice, okra, and cucumber), Adora, etc.
Rallis India Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1948
- Type – A TATA Enterprise is a subsidiary of Tata Chemicals
- Headquarters – Mumbai
- Revenue – Rs. 22.52 billion (Approx)
- Number of Employees – 1700 approx.
- Website – www.rallis.co.in
- Products – Pesticides (Blend, Blitox, Captaf, Pesticides), Herbicides, Fungicides, Crop Nutrition.
- Overview – In India, Rallis is a company of great reputation. The company is highly appreciated for its understanding of Indian agriculture, sustained contact with farmers, quality agrochemicals, branding and marketing expertise. Recently, the company connected with more than 10 farmers in India through its Rallis Kisan Kutumb Programme.
Please note that Rallis is a subsidiary of Tata Chemicals. A large number of products from Rallis are widely used by farmers all over India. Some of its famous products are as follows – Blend, Atrataf, Cartox G, Duton, Applaud 25 Sc
Corteva Agriscience (India) Ltd
- Year of Establishment – June 2019
- Type – publicly traded, global agriculture company
- Headquarters – Wilmington, Delaware, United States
- Revenue – Over Rs. 500 Crore approx. (In India)
- Number of Employees – 10,000+
- Website – www.corteva.in
- Products – Herbicide, Insecticide, Pesticide, and other Crop Protection products.
- Overview – By far, Corteva Agriscience is the biggest agricultural organization in the world. Earlier, the company was known by the name of DowDuPont. It becomes a public company in the month of June 2019. In the year 2017, the company earned a revenue of around 14 Billion USD. This achievement placed Corteva Agriscience on the Fortune 500 list for that year. Corteva offers a range of products for the preservation of the following crops – Rice, Mustard, Wheat, Corn, Cotton, Soybeans, Vegetables, Fruits, and Millet. Some of its major products are as follows – Pexalon, Vivaya, Delegate, and Systhane.
Hindustan Insecticides Limited
- Year of Establishment – 1954
- Type – State-owned public enterprise
- Headquarters – Kochi, Rasayani, and Bathinda
- Revenue – Around Rs. 490 Crore
- Number of Employees – 900 approx
- Website – www.hil.gov.in
- Products – Fertilizers, Sanitizers, Micro-nutrients, Bio-pesticides, By-Product, LLIN, Intermediate, Technical
- Overview – HIL (Formerly known as Hindustan Insecticide Limited) is a Govt. of India Enterprise, under the Deptt. of Chemicals & Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Govt. The organization was started in the year 1954 with an aim to supply DDT for the National Malaria Eradication Programme launched by the Government of India. Gradually, the company diversified into agro pesticide products. Currently, the company is also operating in agro inputs namely agro-chemicals, seeds, and fertilizers. You should know that HIL is in the advanced stages of development of technology for insecticidal treated nets which are currently being promoted by WHO as an alternate vector control tool.
IFFCO (Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited)
- Year of Establishment – 1967
- Type – cooperative society
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Revenue – Rs. 2856.6 billion
- Number of Employees – 12000 approx.
- Website – iffco.in
- Products – Primary Nutrients, Plant Growth Promoter, Water Soluble Fertilisers, Bio Fertilisers, Secondary and Micronutrient, Nano Urea, etc.
- Overview – Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited, also known as IFFCO is a Multi-state cooperative society engaged in the business of manufacturing of fertilizers and insecticides in India. It was founded in the year 1967 and has its headquarters in New Delhi, India. Apart from India, IFFCO has extended its business across the world with joint ventures like JIFCO- Jordan, KIT-Dubai, OMIFCO-Oman, ICS-Senegal, IFFCO CANADA – Canada. With its vast marketing network of 36000 cooperative societies, the company has reached more than 5.5 Crores ( 55 million ) farmers in India. A few of the major products manufactured by IFFCO are as follows – Insecticide (Furusato, Genki, Chigo), Herbicide (Yokozuna, Zakiyama, Zakiyama Plus), Fungicides (Aniki, Gozaru, Kaguya).
Aditya Birla Chemicals Ltd.
- Year of Establishment – 1976 (Aditya Birla Group was founded in the year 1857)
- Type – Private
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Revenue – $48 billion (Revenue of complete group)
- Number of Employees – 120000 (complete Aditya Birla Group
- Website – adityabirlachemicals.com
- Products – Insecticide, Fungicide, Pesticide, Seed products, Plant Health Products
- Overview – Aditya Birla Chemicals Ltd. is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Group. It is one of the largest corporate houses in India. In addition to India, the company is also operating in 26 other countries including Germany, UK, Brazil, Italy, Hungary, USA, Canada, France, Australia, Egypt, Luxembourg, Philippines, UAE, Switzerland, Singapore, Myanmar, China, Thailand, Laos, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Vietnam and South Korea. A few of the major products manufactured and marketed by the company are as follows – Birla Shaktiman Neem coated Urea, Birla Shaktiman Vardan, BentoS, Oorja, Kanak (Improved Wheat Seed), Saakshi (Improved Wheat Seed), Fungicides, Althrin (Bifenthrin 10% EC), Copchlor (Chlorpyriphos 20% EC), Mantaus (Profenophos 40%+ Cyper 4% EC), Rice Hybrids.