Every year World Wind Day is observed on 15 June with the aim to raise awareness of the importance of wind as a renewable source of energy. Also, known as Global Wind Day, it is a day to discover the actual power of wind energy and the possibilities it holds to reshape energy systems all over the world. The day is observed with events and activities organized all over the world. Find out more details about World Wind Day 2023 such as why it is celebrated, its history, observation and much more from this article.
World Wind Day 2023 Date
Find below the important dates for upcoming events of World Wind Day in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, and 2027:
|World Wind Day 2023||June 15, 2023||Thursday|
|World Wind Day 2024||June 15, 2024||Saturday|
|World Wind Day 2025||June 15, 2025||Sunday|
|World Wind Day 2026||June 15, 2026||Monday|
|World Wind Day 2027||June 15, 2027||Tuesday|
World Wind Day 2023 Overview
|Event||World Wind Day 2023|
|Other names||Global Wind Day 2023|
|Date||June 15, 2023|
|Declared by||The European Wind Energy Association (EWEA)|
|Purpose of celebration||To raise awareness of the importance of wind as a renewable source of energy.|
Check: Special days June
Significance of World Wind Day
World Wind Day is a day to celebrate wind energy, its power and all present and future prospects it may hold. It is a day to educate people, especially children, about the importance of wind energy. As the global climate crisis deepens and political attention towards climate increases it becomes even more significant to observe Global Wind Day. Proper use of wind energy can help decarbonize economies and boost jobs and growth and therefore more and more companies are encouraged on this day to turn to clean, reliable and cost-effective wind energy to power their businesses.
History of World Wind Day Observation
The first Wind Day was organized by the European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) in 2007 but it was only in 2009 that the EWEA teamed up with the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) and turned it into a global event. The aim was to encourage people across the world to make the most out of wind energy.
Observation of World Wind Day
Various events in the promotion of wind energy are organized by the European Wind Energy Association and the Global Wind Energy Council on the occasion of Global Wind Day every year. Many national wind energy associations and companies involved in wind energy production also hold events all across their countries. Information campaigns, visits to onshore and offshore wind farms, demonstrations of turbines being set up in cities, wind workshops and wind parades are some popular events held in different countries on this day. Other fun activities like wind farm open days, workshops, regattas, photo exhibitions, drawing competitions, kite flying competitions, etc also form an important part of the World Wind Day celebration.
Interesting facts about Wind Energy
On the occasion of World Wind day 2023, let us learn a few interesting facts about wind energy:
- Wind energy is among the most efficient as well as environmentally friendly sources of energy.
- Windmills have been in use since 2000 BC.
- However, it was only in the 1940s that the first modern wind turbine was built in Vermont, USA.
- Wind energy provides more than 20% of total electricity generation in 11 states of the USA.
- The largest wind turbine that stands 20 stories tall and has blades the length of a football field is located in Hawaii, USA.
- The most installed capacity of wind energy is in Germany.
- German physicist, Albert Betz, was the pioneer of wind turbine technology.
- Wind turbines may look simple but actually have around 8,000 different parts.
- If the wind blows over 130 km per hour, the blades stop turning as a safety precaution.
- Wind energy is the fastest-growing mode of electricity production.
Frequently Asked Questions
June 15 every year
World Wind Day is observed without any specific theme in any year.