- Doug Burgum is running for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
- He had an amazing business career before entering into politics.
- Currently, his net worth is $1.1 Billion.
- He is also one of the richest governors in the United States.
Doug Burgum is an American politician currently serving as the governor of North Dakota. He is also a successful businessman and investor. As of 2023, he is one of the richest governors in the United States with a net worth of more than $1.1 Billion.
It is fair to say that Doug Burgum is a tech maestro. In 1980, he founded a successful software company called Great Plains. Later, he sold that company to Microsoft and focused entirely on politics.
These days, Doug Burgum is in the news for his 2024 Republican presidential nomination. Reports are suggesting that he is spending more than any other candidate on advertisements since the start of his campaign. Check out this post to know the financial status of Burgum in detail.
An Introduction to Dough Burgum
|Political Party||Republican Party|
|Profession||Businessman, investor, philanthropist, politician and Management Consultant|
Doug Burgum’s Net Worth and Salary in 2023
Recently, Yahoo Finance published a detailed report about Doug Burgum’s wealth. They labeled him as the second wealthiest state leader just behind the Democrat leader from Illinois JB Pritzker.
This report suggested that Doug Burgum’s net worth is $1.1 Billion. Most of this amount comes from his career as a tech investor.
Great Plains Software
He founded Great Plains Software in 1984 by mortgaging his inherited land. He then sold this company to Microsoft in 2002 for $1.1 billion after its initial public offering (IPO).
SuccessFactors and Atlassian
Forbes reported that Burgum invested heavily in different ventures after getting a Billion dollars from Microsoft. He was one of the first ones to invest in a tech startup called “SuccessFactors”. This startup was eventually sold for $3.4 Billion in 2012.
He also invested in a Software tools company from Australia known as Atlassian. This company also turned out to be successful and became publicly traded.
Apart from technical companies, Doug Burgum also founded Kilbourne Group which is a real estate development firm. Through this company, he diversified his portfolio by investing in different types of properties.
Before becoming governor of North Dakota, Burgum also established and managed a venture capital firm, Arthur Ventures.
Salary as a Governor
According to Ballotpedia, Doug Burgum’s annual salary is $135,360. This is more than the average salary earned by US governors.
Check Chris Sununu Net worth
Doug Burgum Personal Information – Early Life, Education, Family, and Entry into Politics
Doug Burgum was born on August 1, 1956, in Arthur, North Dakota. He grew up in a farming family. His grandfather used to own a grain elevator. The names of his father and mother were Joseph Boyd Burgum and Katherine Burgum respectively.
After attending a local high school, he attended North Dakota State University. Doug later pursued an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business. During his time at Stanford, he became friends with Steve Ballmer. Steve went on to work as Microsoft’s CEO.
In 1983, he co-founded Great Plains Software, a company that specialized in business accounting software. Great Plains Software grew rapidly under his leadership. Eventually, it was acquired by Microsoft in 2001.
After that, Burgum invested in numerous business ventures. He entered politics and was elected as the Governor of North Dakota in 2016. He successfully used his experience as CEO while implementing policies while working as governor.
|Full Name||Douglas James Burgum|
|Date of Birth||August 1, 1956|
|Father||Joseph Boyd Burgum|
|Siblings||2 (1 Brother and 1 Sister)|
|Brother||Bradley J. Burgum|
|Colleges||Stanford Graduate School Of Business, North Dakota State University|
|Son||Tom Burgum and Joe Burgum|
|Height||5 Feet and 8 Inches (172 cm)|
Wife and Children
Doug Burgum has married twice. He married Karen Stoker for the first time in 1991. He has three children from this marriage. They divorced in 2003.
In 2016, Doug Burgum married for the second time. The name of his second wife is Catherine Halgaas. While serving as First Lady of North Dakota, Katherine spoke out for addiction and recovery. She supports Doug like an ideal wife. Burgum’s three children are named Tom, Joe, and Jesse Burgum.
Career as a Politician
Today, Doug Burgum is considered one of the top politicians in the United States. Let’s take a look at his inspiring political journey.
- Politics after entrepreneurial success – Doug started his political journey after achieving remarkable success as a businessman and technology entrepreneur.
- Entry into Politics – In 2016, Burgum ran for the North Dakota governorship as a Republican candidate. He emerged victorious against Marvin Nelson of the Democratic Party.
- Re-elected as North Dakota’s governor – In 2020, Doug Burgum was re-elected as North Dakota’s governor by defeating Shelley Lenz with a record margin.
- Future Aspirations – As a potential candidate for the 2024 Republican nominations, Burgum is presenting himself as a candidate with a proven track record of leadership.
Other Positions and Ventures
- Doug Burgum was on the advisory board for Stanford Graduate School of Business for many years.
- From 2007 to 2011, he worked as a chairman of SuccessFactors before the company was sold to SAP.
- In 2012, he became the chairman of the board for Atlassian.
- Between 2011 and 2014, he also served as the interim CEO of Intelligent InSites twice. He has been the executive chairman of the board of this company since 2008.
- Burgum also joined Avalara’s board of directors in the year 2011.
2024 Presidential Campaign
On June 7, 2023, Burgum formally announced his campaign through The Wall Street Journal. He has been rallying and giving public speeches since then. Interestingly, he started offering a $20 gift card as a donation of any amount to his primary campaign.
Burgum also announced that if he is not nominated for the presidency, he will not accept the vice presidency or a cabinet position. He is competing against candidates like Donald Trump, Chris Christie, Tim Scott, and more.
Social Media Profiles and Contact Details
|X (Formerly Twitter)||/dougburgum|
Frequently Asked Questions
Doug for America.
Yes, he is married to Kathryn Helgaas Burgum.
He is from Arthur, North Dakota.
The Republican Party.
Yes, he has three children.
Yes, he manages his philanthropic endeavors through the Doug Burgum Family Fund.