From a troubled youth to one of the richest Hollywood actor, Robert Downey Jr. have had an interesting life filled with legal troubles, fight and struggle with substance abuse and other tough circumstances. However, he changed his persona over the year and is now one of the leading men in Hollywood. Robert now has it all, fame, success and moreover a huge amount of wealth that he has accumulated through his acting career. Robert Downey Jr net worth 2023 is estimated to be about $300 million with him charging a fee as high as 80 million dollars for his Marvel movies. Let us learn some more details about Robert Downey Jr., biography, net worth, top movies, interesting facts and more.
Robert Downey Jr Net Worth 2023
|Name||Robert Downey Jr.|
|Robert Downey Jr Net worth 2023||$300 million (est.)|
|Robert Downey Jr Annual income||$30 million (est.)|
|Robert Downey Jr Fees per movie||$55 million (est.)|
Robert Downey Jr Biography
Downey was born in Manhattan, New York City on April 4, 1965 to Robert Downey Sr. and Elsie Ann. His father was an actor and filmmaker, while his mother was an actress who appeared in his father’s films. Downey has an older sister Allyson and they both grew up in Greenwich Village. When he was a child, Downey made minor appearances in his father’s movies.
Robert Downey Jr.dated actress Sarah Jessica Parker in 1984 but the couple later separated in 1991 due to his drug addiction. He later married actress and singer Deborah Falconer in 1992 and had a son together. Downey’s repeated trips to rehab and jail forced Falconer to leave Downey and she took their son with her. In 2003, Downey met producer Susan Levin, an Executive Vice President of Production on the set of movie Gothika. The couple got married in 2005 and has two children, a son Exton Elias and a daughter Avri Roel.
|Name||Robert Downey Jr.|
|Years active||1970 – present|
|Robert Downey Jr Age 2023||Born on April 4, 1965|
|Date of birth||April 4, 1965|
|Robert Downey Jr Spouses||Susan Downey (2005 – present) Deborah Falconer (1992 – 2004)|
|Partners||Sarah Jessica Parker (1984 – 1991)|
|No. of children||3|
|Robert Downey Jr Height||1.74 m|
|Robert Downey Jr Parents||Robert Downey Sr. (father) Elsie Ann (mother)|
Robert Downey Jr. Source of Wealth
In very simple words, its movies!! The major source of income for Robert Downey Jr. is his fees and revenue generated from super hit movies that he had worked in over the years. Although, Downey was fairly rich from his acting career, a major breakthrough came through his role as Iron man in Marvel’s movies. With back to back hit Marvel movies releasing on the screen the past decade the net worth of Robert Downey Jr. skyrocketed to over three hundred million dollars. Robert has also been listed by Forbes as Hollywood’s highest-paid actor from 2013 to 2015. Music and business ventures of Robert Downey may also have contributed towards his net worth but not very significantly. Endorsements of products also bring home some money for Robert Downey but yet again, it is movies that are his major source of income.
Highest Grossing Movies of Robert Downey Jr
As you already know that it was the blockbuster Marvel hits that made Downey one of the highly paid and richest actors in the Hollywood. Below here are the 10 highest grossing movies of actor Robert Downey Jr. out of which top 9 are the Marvel movies with Downey featuring as Iron Man.
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)- $2.8 billion
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)- $2.048 billion
- The Avengers (2012)- $1.519 billion
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)- $1.355 billion
- Iron Man 3 (2013)- $1.215 billion
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)- $1.153 billion
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)- $880 million
- Iron Man 2 (2010)- $624 million
- Iron Man (2008)- $585 million
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)- $545 million
Robert Downey Jr- Early Life & Career in Hollywood
After working in his father movies and dropping out if school to pursue acting, Downey started working in theaters and Broadway musicals. In 1985, he was hired as a cast for Saturday Night Live but due to low ratings, the whole cast was replaced. However, Robert was able to get some good movies even after being voted the worst SNL member. His role of Charlie Chaplin in the movie Chaplin (1992), earned him his first Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.
Robert once again got more involved with drugs at this stage and despite working in a few small budget movies, his career suffered a setback. After a series of drugs, jail and rehab, Robert was finally out and focusing completely on his career. He went on to give many critical success but his breakthrough came in 2008 when Downey starred the successful film Iron Man. After his role as Iron Man, there was no turning back for Robert.
Interesting Facts about Robert Downey Jr
Here are some interesting facts that not many people know about Robert Downey Jr.:
- Apart from being a great actor, Robert also has the vocals of a singer and has released quite a few albums.
- Robert Downey Jr. has announced that he will not be playing Iron Man in further Marvel movies.
- He was a drug addict in the early phase of his career that destroyed his many relationships.
- To pursue a future in acting, Robert Downey Jr. dropped out of school at the age of 17.
- Robert’s original family name was Elias which was changed by his father to enlist in the Army.
- Robert has given many memorable performances over year but is yet to win an Academy award.
- His father is the one who introduced Robert to drugs, offering him a marijuana joint when he was just 6.
- The first role Robert ever got was in his father’s film ‘Pound’ when he was only 5.
- Along with his wife Susan, Robert Downey own a production company named Team Downey.
- He has been let out of jail to shoot a movie and from rehab to shoot a music video, both of which caused a stir in media.
No, but he is one of the richest actors.
Iron Man in Marvel’s movie series of the same name.