Mickey Rourke is a professional actor and a former boxer who has enjoyed a thriving career in both fields. He has won many awards and has even been nominated for Academy Award for Best Actor. Rourke started his career as a boxer, then turned to acting and again became a boxer before finally settling on his acting career. Mickey has been in the industry for many years now and has accumulated an astonishing net worth. Find more details about Mickey Rourke’s net worth in 2023 and other interesting information about the actor/ boxer from this article below.
Mickey Rourke Net Worth 2023
|Profession||Actor, boxer, screenwriter|
|Net worth (2023)||$10 million (est.)|
Mickey Rourke’s Personal Biography
Mickey Rourke was born on September 16, 1952, in Schenectady, New York, to Annette and Philip Andre Rourke. His father left the family when Mickey was young and later his parents got divorced. His mother then married a Miami Beach police officer and moved to South Florida with her children. Rourke has a younger brother Joey, a sister Patricia and five step-brothers from her mother’s second marriage.
In 1981, he married Debra Feuer whom he met on the set of the movie “Hardcase” (1981). The marriage ended in 1989 but the two have remained good friends. In 1991, Mickey married model and actress Carré Otis. Their relationship hit a rough patch and Rourke was arrested on suspicion of spousal abuse. The charges were later dropped and the couple reconciled but finally, their marriage ended in 1998. From 2009 to 2015, Rourke dated German model Anastassija Makarenko. Other than this, Mickey has dated celebrities such as Terry Farrell and Sasha Volkova.
|Full name||Philip Andre Rourke Jr.|
|Profession||Actor, boxer, screenwriter|
|Other names||Eddie Cook|
|Years active||Actor (1979 – present) Boxer (1964 – 1994; 2014)|
|Age||Born on September 16, 1952|
|Place of birth||Schenectady, New York, US|
|Education||Miami Beach Senior High School|
|Spouse||Carré Otis (1991 – 1999) Debra Feuer (1981 – 1989)|
|Partner||Anastassija Makarenko (2009 – 2015)|
|Parents||Annette Rourke (mother) Philip Andre Rourke (father)|
Also Check Pedro pascal Net Worth
Mickey Rourke’s Professional Career
Mickey started his career as a boxer and won his first match when he was just 12 years old. In a sparring match with World Welterweight Champion Luis Rodríguez in 1969, Mickey received a concussion followed by another one in a match in 1971. after this, Rourke was told by the doctors to take a year off and rest and he retired from the ring temporarily. In this period as an amateur boxer, Rourke’s boxing record stood at 27 wins and 3 defeats.
Rourke made a comeback in boxing in 1991, fighting internationally in countries including Germany, Spain, and Japan. However, following a series of injuries that included broken nose, toe, and ribs, a split tongue, a compressed cheekbone, and even memory loss, Rourke decided to say goodbye to his boxing career. He again returned briefly to the ring for an exhibition fight in 2014 which he won in the second round by TKO (total knock-out).
Rourke has his first experience as an actor when he was cast in a school play in 1971. at the time, he was still a senior at Miami Beach Senior High School. After temporarily giving up boxing, Mickey found another acting job in a play directed by his friend at the University of Miami. This time he fell in love with acting and moved to New York to study acting while working many odd jobs to support himself.
Mickey’s professional acting career began with roles in television films. He landed his first role in a film in a small role in Steven Spielberg’s “1941” (1979). the next year he appeared in a slasher film “Fade to Black” but it was only his role in the movie “Body Heat” (1981) that brought Mickey significant attention. He began receiving additional lead roles in the mid-1980s. His 1982 movie “Diner” brought Rourke multiple awards and the movie “Angel Heart” (1987) became his second film to be nominated for several awards. In 2005, Rourke appeared in the adaptation of Frank Miller’s “Sin City” for which he received multiple awards. In 2008, Rourke played the lead in the film “The Wrestler”, for which he earned his first and only nomination for Academy Award for Best Actor.
Screenwriting, Stage & Music Videos
In the late 1980s, Rourke wrote his first screenplay, “Homeboy”, in which he starred along with then-wife Debra Feuer. Apart from this, he has written the screenplay for the film “Bullet” and co-written scripts for “The Last Ride”, “Killer Moon”, “Penance”, and “Pain”.
Rourke provided the mid-song rap on the David Bowie song “Shining Star” in 1987 and appeared as the villain in Enrique Iglesias’s music video for “Hero” in 2001. In 2004, he provided the voice for “Jericho” in the “Driver” video game. Rourke made his stage debut with the play “A View from the Bridge”.
Top Movies of Mickey Rourke
Here is a list of some of the popular movies that Mickey Rourke has worked in.
- Sin City (2005)
- The Wrestler (2008)
- Buffalo ’66 (1998)
- Angel Heart (1987)
- Rumble Fish (1983)
- Barfly (1987)
- Thursday (1998)
- Diner (1982)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- Year of the Dragon (1985)
List of Awards & Nominations
This is the complete list of awards won by Mickey Rourke in his acting career.
- 1983 Boston Society of Film Critics Best Supporting Actor Award for Diner
- 1983 National Society of Film Critics Best Supporting Actor Award for Diner
- 2006 Saturn Award Best Supporting Actor Award for Sin City
- 2006 Chicago Film Critics Association Best Supporting Actor Award for Sin City
- 2006 Irish Film and Television Awards Best International Actor Award for Sin City
- 2006 Online Film Critics Society Best Supporting Actor Award for Sin City
- 2008 Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 San Francisco Film Critics Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 San Diego Film Critics Society Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 Toronto Film Critics Association Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 Chicago Film Critics Association Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 Florida Film Critics Circle Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2008 Detroit Film Critics Society Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2009 Golden Globe Best Actor – Drama Award for The Wrestler
- 2009 Independent Spirit Best Male Lead Award for The Wrestler
- 2009 BAFTA Best Actor Award for The Wrestler
- 2009 Santa Barbara International Film Festival Riviera Award for The Wrestler
- 2010 Scream Awards Best Villain Award for Iron Man 2
- He credited his brother Joey with preventing him from committing suicide in 1998.
- Rourke used to own a gym in West Hollywood named Shapiro.
- Mickey’s “9½ Weeks” movie co-star Kim Basinger once called him “The Human Ashtray”.
- Rourke is a motorcycle enthusiast.
- El Marielito was his nickname as a boxer.
- Rourke has been arrested twice, once for spousal abuse and another for DUI charges.
- He is a pet lover and likes small-breed dogs especially.
- Rourke once co-owned a very tiny soda fountain/ ice cream/magazine stand in Beverly Hills.
Mickey Rourke on Social Media
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: $10 million (approx.)
Answer: Yes, the 56-year-old actor (at the time) did all his stunts in The Wrestler.
Answer: 1.8 m