Morgan Freeman is known for his deep, distinctive, and iconic voice in Hollywood. He is also one of the highest-grossing actors of all time whose movies have grossed more than $10 billion at the box office worldwide. Leading roles, supporting roles, or narrating a movie, Freeman has done it all and done it with such charm and grace that no one else has. For his contribution to the film industry, Freeman has been honored with multiple awards and accolades. Not only this, but he has also earned a handsome net worth of around $250 million through his successful acting career. For more details about Morgan Freeman’s net worth in 2023 and other interesting information about the actor, keep reading this article.
Morgan Freeman Net Worth 2023
Morgan Freeman’s Personal Biography
Morgan Freeman was born on June 1, 1937, in Memphis, Tennessee to Mamie Edna and Morgan Porterfield Freeman. His mother was a teacher while his father was a barber. Morgan was the youngest of his parents’ four children. Freeman made his acting debut at age 9 and won a statewide drama competition at the age of 12. When he grew up, Morgan enlisted in the United States Air Force where he served as an Automatic Tracking Radar repairman. He later went on to study theater arts at Los Angeles City College, where he was encouraged by a teacher to become a dancer.
Freeman was married to Jeanette Adair Bradshaw from 1967 to 1979. He then married Myrna Colley-Lee in 1984 but got separated in 2007. He has four children.
|Full name||Morgan Freeman|
|Profession||Actor, director, producer, narrator|
|Years active||1964 – present|
|Age||Born on June 1, 1937|
|Place of birth||Memphis, Tennessee, US|
|Education||Broad Street High School|
|Spouse||Jeanette Adair Bradshaw (1967 – 1979)Myrna Colley-Lee (1984 – 2010)|
|Parents||Mamie Edna (mother)Morgan Porterfield Freeman (father)|
Early Professional Career
Freeman started his career in the entertainment industry as a dancer and was also a member of the Opera Ring musical theater group. For a brief period, he also worked as a clerk typist. His first acting job came as an extra in the drama film “The Pawnbroker”. But Freeman’s first credited appearance came with the movie “Who Says I Can’t Ride a Rainbow!”. During the same time, Freeman starred in the television show for children “The Electric Company”, as he was struggling financially. With this show, he got both financial stability and some recognition in the industry. However, due to hectic work, he quit the show in 1975 and took a short career break. He returned to acting in 1978, appearing in stage productions and continuing his work in theaters.
In 1980 Morgan landed a small role in the drama “Brubaker” and also made an appearance in the TV film, “Attica”. He got his career breakthrough after landing a role of a street hustler in the crime thriller “Street Smart”. Morgan earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the movie. His next movie “Clean and Sober” also brought him some praise from the critics, despite not performing well at the box office. Freeman’s next major role came in the 1989 movie “Glory” that got nominated for five Academy Awards, winning three. Freeman earned his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor and second overall for his role in the movie “Driving Miss Daisy”.
Freeman has been in the industry for around six decades now, appearing in major and minor yet strong roles in movies. Most of the movies that he has worked in have done well at the box office and even for those who didn’t, Morgan has never failed to amaze the audience with his performance. At the age of more than 80 years, Freeman is still getting important roles in movies, which is why he can safely be termed one of the greatest actors of all time.
Freeman is the co-founder of a film production company Revelations Entertainment which has produced movies like “Bopha!”, “Mutiny”, “Under Suspicion”, “Along Came a Spider”, and others. He also founded a film download company ClickStar in 2006 but it ceased operations in 2008. Freeman also owns a blues club called Ground Zero and was co-owner of a fine dining restaurant, Madidi. As a director, Freeman has worked on the movie “Bopha!”.
Best Movies of Morgan Freeman
Out of many, check out some of the best movies of Morgan Freeman.
|Movies||Year of release|
|The Shawshank Redemption||1994|
|Million Dollar Baby||2004|
|Driving Miss Daisy||1989|
|The Lego Movie||2014|
|The Dark Knight||2008|
|Gone Baby Gone||2007|
Awards & Accolades
Here is a list of all the awards and accolades that Morgan Freeman has won in his entire career.
- 2004 Best Supporting Actor for Million Dollar Baby
Golden Globe Awards
- 1989 Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for Driving Miss Daisy
Screen Actors Guild Awards
- 2004 Outstanding Actor in a Supporting Role for Million Dollar Baby
Black Reel Awards
- 2009 Best Actor for Invictus
- 2015 Best Voice Performance for The Lego Movie
NAACP Image Awards
- 1989 Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for Driving Miss Daisy
- 1989 Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for Lean on Me
- 1997 Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for Amistad
- 1997 Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for Deep Impact
- 2003 Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for Bruce Almighty
- 2004 Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for Million Dollar Baby
- 2009 Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for Invictus
Film Critics Awards
- 1987 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor for Street Smart
- 1987 National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor for Street Smart
- 1987 New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor for Street Smart
- 1994 Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor for The Shawshank Redemption
- 1995 London Film Critics Circle Award for Actor of the Year for Seven
- 1995 National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor for Seven
- 1987 Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Male for Street Smart
- 1989 National Board of Review Award for Best Actor for Driving Miss Daisy
- 1989 Silver Bear for Best Acting Team (shared with Jessica Tandy) for Driving Miss Daisy
- 1995 Empire Award for Best Actor for Seven
- 2008 People’s Choice Award for Favorite Cast for The Dark Knight
- 2009 National Board of Review Award for Best Actor for Invictus
Interesting Facts about Morgan Freeman
- Not many people know that Morgan is an avid beekeeper.
- His favorite sport is golf.
- At the age of 65, Freeman earned his Private Pilot license.
- He has been honored with the “Hollywood Outstanding Achievement in Acting” Award in 2000.
- He is one of two African-American actors in the top 5 highest-grossing actors of all time. Eddie Murphy is the other one.
- The Empire (UK) magazine ranked Freeman at number 31 in its list of “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time”.
- Morgan is also the recipient of the American Film Institute’s 39th Lifetime Achievement Award.
Morgan Freeman on Social Media
Frequently Asked Questions
$250 million (approx.)
Freeman suffers from fibromyalgia after he met a serious accident in 2008. Due to this condition, he wears a compression glove that supports blood circulation.
5 nominations with 1 win