The Bihar Public Service Commission or BPSC syllabus 2023 is designed to provide candidates with an understanding of the topics and concepts required to pass the BPSC exam. The syllabus covers a wide range of topics, including Indian History, Indian Constitution, Indian Polity, Indian Economy, General Science, General Mental Ability, General English, General Hindi, and General Knowledge.
The syllabus also includes topics related to Bihar, such as Bihar History, Bihar Geography, Bihar Economy, Bihar Polity, and Bihar Culture. Additionally, the syllabus covers topics related to current affairs, such as international news, national news, and state-level news. Please note that there are different syllabuses for preliminary and main exams. We are providing the complete syllabus both pre and main exams in this post.
BPSC Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2023
The examination of BPSC will take place in the following three stages.
- Prelims – One objective paper of 150 marks
- Mains – Four papers of 900 marks
- Interview – 120 marks
Here is the general pattern of these three stages.
|Stage of BPSC Exam||Total Marks||Duration of the exam|
|Prelims (Objective type questions)||150 Marks||2 hours|
|Mains (Subjective type questions)||900 marks (one qualifying paper and 3 papers each of 300 marks)||3 hours for each paper|
|Personal Interview (Physically Present)||120 marks||Not Defined|
Let’s discuss all three stages of BPSC in detail.
BPSC Prelims Exam Pattern 2023
The prelim is a qualifying exam. The aim of this exam is to eliminate candidates in the initial stage. Those who pass the Prelims test are invited to the BPSC Mains. Remember, the final merit list will not take into account the Prelims scores.
Candidates must review the BPSC Prelims Exam Pattern in the table below before proceeding to the syllabus for the exam.
|Name of the examination||BPSC Prelims|
|Duration of the exam||2 hours|
|Number of papers||1|
|Maximum Marks||150 marks|
|Topics Covered||General ScienceEvents of national and international importanceHistory of Bihar and Indian HistoryGeography(mainly Geography of Bihar)Indian Polity and EconomyChanges in the economy of Bihar post-independenceIndian National Movement and the Role of BiharGeneral Mental Ability|
BPSC Prelims Syllabus 2023
The BPSC Prelims Exam syllabus is identical to that of other civil service exams. General science, politics, economics, history, and the national movement are all covered. Because the exam will feature questions of a high standard, candidates must carefully review the syllabus and prepare themselves. The BPSC Prelims Exam’s detailed syllabus is given below:
- Important current events, both domestically and internationally.
- General Science: A well-educated individual who has not specifically studied any scientific area can anticipate that questions on general science will cover topics of everyday observation and experience as well as a broad understanding and appreciation of science.
- History: The most important aspects of India’s history, Bihar’s history, a fundamental understanding of the topic’s social, economic, and political ramifications
- Geography: India’s geography, including its physical, social, and economic geography, as well as the most important aspects of Indian agriculture and its natural resources. Bihar’s geography, the state of Bihar and its major river systems
- Indian polity: Knowledge of the Panchayati Raj, community development, and planning in India and Bihar on a general level.
- Indian Economy: Major shifts in the economy of Bihar after independence.
- Indian National Movement: Bihar’s participation in these movements. Candidates will be expected to respond to questions about the nature and characteristics of the 19th-century revival, the development of nationalism, and the achievement of independence in relation to the Indian National Movement. Candidates will also be asked about the role of Bihar in the Indian freedom movement.
- General Mental Ability Questions.
Important Points regarding BPSC Prelims Exam Syllabus
- Science and technology-related questions will not necessitate subject expertise.
- Candidates must also concentrate on the economic, political, and social aspects of history.
- Candidates must also prepare for Bihar’s history and geography in both history and geography.
- The social and economic geography of India and Bihar, as well as Indian agriculture and the utilisation of natural resources, will serve as the foundation for questions under Geography.
- The following topics will be covered by the questions under the Indian Economy and Polity
- Indian Political System
- Panchayati Raj
- Community Development
- Planning in India and Bihar
- Under the Indian National Movement, candidates must focus on India’s independence, nationalism’s nature and growth, and the resurgence in the 19th century. From the perspective of the BPSC exam, Bihar’s involvement in the Indian National Movement is also significant.
Check BPSC Calendar
BPSC Mains Exam Pattern 2023
Candidates are only invited to take the BPSC main exam if they pass the BPSC Prelims Exam and meet the Commission’s cut-off scores. The marks of Pre exam will not be counted in the final merit. So, practically it doesn’t matter what score you get on the BPSC Prelims Exam
There is a General Hindi qualifying exam in the BPSC Main Exam. In addition, there will be two 300-mark general studies papers: General Studies Paper 1 and General Studies Paper 2. The candidate will be able to select an optional paper when filling out the application. There are 300 marks for the optional paper.
|BPSC Main Exam|
|Name of the subject||Total Marks||Duration of the exam|
|General Hindi (Qualifying Exam)||100||3 hours|
|General Studies Paper 1||300||3 hours|
|General Studies Paper 2||300||3 hours|
|Optional Paper||300||3 hours|
This is a descriptive type of paper with no negative marking.
BPSC Mains Syllabus 2023
The exam of BPSC consists of the following four papers – General Hindi, General Studies Paper 1. Let’s check the syllabus of all these papers.
Hindi is a compulsory paper that is descriptive and qualifying in nature. The level of the exam is set by the Bihar School Education Board (BSEB). You can study from any reputable Hindi textbook to prepare for this subject. The following is a description of the topics covered in the BPSC Mains Hindi syllabus.
- निबंध (Essay)
- व्याकरण (Grammar): पर्यायवाची, अलंकार, विलोम, वर्तनी, तत्सम एवं तदभव, लिंग, कारक, आदि|
- वाक्य विन्यास (Syntax)
- संक्षेपण (Summarisation)
General Studies Paper 1 Syllabus
- The introduction and growth of western education will be covered in questions on Bihar’s Modern History (including technical education).
- Modern History of India and Indian Culture, which includes the broad history of the country (with special reference to Bihar) from about the middle of the 19th century.
- Bihar’s role in the freedom struggle of India.
- Birsa Movement,
- Champaran Satyagraha
- Santhal Uprising,
- 1857 in Bihar,
- Quit India Movement 1942.
- Knowledge of the chief features of Mauryan and Pal art.
- Patna Qulam Painting
- Basic knowledge of Gandhi, Tagore and Nehru.
- Exercises in statistical analysis, graphs, and diagrams will assess the candidate’s capacity to infer reasonable inferences from data presented in statistical, graphical, or diagrammatic form and to identify any limitations, constraints, or contradictions.
Check UPSC IAS Syllabus
General Studies Paper 2 Syllabus
The purpose of questions in the General Studies Paper 2 is to test your understanding of Indian Politics with a focus on Bihar.
- Indian Polity: Political system in India and also including the political system in Bihar
- Geography of India: It mainly includes the economic, physical and social geography of India and also focuses on Bihar especially.
- Indian Economy: Planning in India,
- Science and Technology: The contribution and effects of science and technology to the development of India and Bihar. The exam will judge candidates on the basis of their knowledge of how science and technology have impacted India and Bihar and the emphasis will be on applied aspects also.
List of BPSC Main Exam Optional Subjects
Candidates may select one of the 34 subjects available for the BPSC mains exam to pass the optional paper. The complete list of all the subjects is provided in the following table.
|English Language and Literature||Persian Language and Literature||Hindi Language and Literature|
|Urdu Language and Literature||Arabic Language and Literature||Maithili Language and Literature|
|Pali Language and Literature||Bangla Language and Literature||Sanskrit Language and Literature|
|Chemistry||Political Science and International Relations||Philosophy|
|Labour and Social Welfare||Public Administration||Psychology|
|Commerce and Accountancy||Electrical Engineering||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science|
Download BPSC Syllabus 2023 PDF
The Commission typically publishes the BPSC Syllabus on its official website as a PDF file. The BPSC Syllabus PDF can be downloaded by candidates and used as a reference while they prepare for the exams. The syllabus typically contains in-depth information about each subject’s topics covered and their weightage. To increase their chances of success on the exams, candidates must thoroughly familiarise themselves with the syllabus and prepare accordingly. Download link to check PDF file of the BPSC syllabus.
BPSC 2023 Syllabus in Hindi
नीचे बीपीएससी की प्रारंभिक और मुख्य परीक्षा दोनों का पाठ्यक्रम दिया गया है।
प्रारंभिक परीक्षा (Preliminary Exam)
मुख्य परीक्षा (Main Exam)
Frequently Asked Questions
You can opt for the following books – India Yearbook, Geography (Majid Hussain), Economy (Ramesh Singh), Indian Polity (Laxmikanth), History (Bipan Chandra).
No, the syllabus is not exactly the same. However, there are many similar topics.
You can expect Mathematics questions in the Prelims exam. The questions will be of intermediate or matriculation level.