This article serves you the list of all important and special days in January 2023. The list covers both national and international special days and dates in January 2023.
Every month of a year consists of some important days that are related to some significant incident that occurred on these days. There are a number of important dates in January 2023 and most of these dates are observed globally. It is good to have some knowledge about the important days and dates that are observed in different months of a year. For candidates preparing for competitive exams, having the knowledge about the days and dates is quite important. This article presents a list of Important Days in January 2023 along with the dates of their observance.
List of January 2023 Important and Special Days
The month of January observes a number of important days that are significant both nationally and internationally. Days like Human Trafficking Awareness Day, International Holocaust Remembrance Day, World Leprosy Eradication Day are some crucial days falling in January that are observed worldwide. Check out the list of special days & dates in January 2023 presented below.
- 1 January 2023 Important Days- English New Year, Army Medical Corps Establishment Day, Global Family Day, Feast of the Circumcision of Christ, Flag Day (Lithuania), Kalpataru Day (Ramakrishna Movement), World Day of Peace, Constitution Day (Italy), Dissolution of Czechoslovakia, Euro Day (European Union), Triumph of the Revolution (Cuba), Public Domain Day, National Bloody Mary Day (US), Founding Day (Taiwan), International Nepali Dhoti and Nepali Topi Day, Independence Day (Brunei, Cameroon, Haiti, Sudan), Jump-up Day (Montserrat, British Overseas Territories), Polar Bear Swim Day (Canada and US), National Tree Planting Day (Tanzania), Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (Catholic Church)
- 2 January 2023 Special Days- Ancestry Day (Haiti), National Cream puff Day (US), Victory of Armed Forces Day (Cuba), Berchtold’s Day (Liechtenstein, Switzerland, and the Alsace), Nyinlong (Bhutan), National Science Fiction Day (US), Carnival Day (Saint Kitts and Nevis), Kakizome (Japan), Happy Mew Year For Cats Day (Thomas Roy)
- 3 January 2023 Important Days- National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day (US), Memento Mori (Thomas Roy), Nakhatsenendyan Toner (Armenia), Anniversary of the 1966 Coup d’état (Burkina Faso), Ministry of Religious Affairs Day (Indonesia), Tamaseseri Festival (Hakozaki Shrine, Fukuoka, Japan)
- 4 January 2023 Special Days- World Braille Day, Independence Day (Myanmar), Day of the Fallen against the Colonial Repression (Angola), Ogoni Day (Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People), Dimpled Chad Day (Thomas Roy), Day of the Martyrs (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Hwinukan mukee (Okinawa Islands, Japan)
- 5 January 2023 Important Days- Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day (Australia), National Bird Day (US), Strawberry Day (Japan), National Whipped Cream Day (US), Sausage Day (United Kingdom), Tucindan (Serbia, Montenegro)
- 6 January 2023 Special Days- World War Orphans Day, National Technology Day, Armed Forces Day (Iraq), Epiphany or Three Kings’ Day (Western Christianity) or Theophany (Eastern Christianity), Pathet Lao Day (Laos)
- 7 January 2023 Important Days- Christmas (Eastern Orthodox Churches and Oriental Orthodox Churches using the Julian Calendar), Distaff Day (Medieval Europe), Victory from Genocide Day (Cambodia), Tricolour day (Italy), Nanakusa no sekku (Japan), Pioneer’s Day (Liberia)
- 8 January 2023 Special Days- National Vision Board Day, African National Congress Foundation Day, Typing Day, Show and Tell Day at Work (Thomas Roy), The Eighth (US)
- 9 January 2023 Important Days- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (NRI Day), Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti (No Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti in 2023), Start of Hoonko, St. Stephen’s Day (Eastern Orthodox), National Cassoulet Day (US), Republic Day (Republika Srpska), Martyrs’ Day (Panama)
- 10 January 2023 Special Days– World Hindi Day, Majority Rule Day (Bahamas), Fête du Vodoun (Benin)
- 11 January 2023– Death anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri, National Human Trafficking Awareness Day (US), Republic Day (Albania), Children’s Day (Tunisia), Kagami Biraki (Japan), Independence Manifesto Day (Morocco), Eugenio María de Hostos Day (Puerto Rico), German Apples Day (Germany)
- 12 January 2023- National Youth Day (Birth of Swami Vivekananda), Memorial Day (Turkmenistan), Prosecutor General’s Day (Russia), Zanzibar Revolution Day (Tanzania)
- 13 January 2023- Stephen Foster Memorial Day (US), Constitution Day (Mongolia), Liberation Day (Togo), Democracy Day (Cape Verde), St. Knut’s Day (Sweden and Finland), Old New Year’s Eve (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Republic of Srpska, North Macedonia)
- 14 January 2023– Makar Sankranti, Lohri, Armed Forces Veterans Day, National Forest Conservation Day (Thailand), Azhyrnykhua (Abkhazia), Flag Day (Georgia), Feast of Divina Pastora (Barquisimeto), Yennayer (Berbers), Day of Defenders of the Motherland (Uzbekistan), Feast of the Ass (Medieval Christianity), Ratification Day (US), Revolution and Youth Day (Tunisia)
- 15 January 2023- Indian Army Day, Wikipedia Day, Pongal, Teacher’s Day (Venezuela), Arbor Day (Egypt), Sagicho at Tsurugaoka Hachimangū (Kamakura, Japan), Armed Forces Day (Nigeria), John Chilembwe Day (Malawi), Korean Alphabet Day (North Korea)
- 16 January 2023- Thiruvalluvar Day (Tamil Nadu), National Nothing Day (Thomas Roy), Zuuruku Nichi (Okinawa Islands, Japan), National Religious Freedom Day (US), Teacher’s Day (Thailand, Myanmar), Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (Coptic Church)
- 17 January 2023– National Day (Menorca), Opening ceremony of Patras Carnival, Judgment Day, Hardware Freedom Day
- 18 January 2023- Royal Thai Armed Forces Day (Thailand), Revolution and Youth Day (Tunisia), Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
- 19 January 2023- Husband’s Day (Iceland), Kokborok Day (Tripura), Confederate Heroes Day (Texas), Theophany/ Epiphany (Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy), National Popcorn Day (US)
- 20 January 2023– Martyrs’ Day (Azerbaijan), Inauguration Day (US), Armed Forces Day (Mali), Heroes’ Day (Cape Verde), Cheese Day (US)
- 21 January 2023– National Hug Day (US), Babinden (Bulgaria, Serbia), Lincoln Alexander Day (Canada), Birthday of Princess Ingrid Alexandra (Norway), Lady of Altagracia Day (Dominican Republic), Errol Barrow Day (Barbados), Grandmother’s Day (Poland), Flag Day (Quebec)
- 22 January 2023- National Hot Sauce Day (US), Grandfather’s Day (Poland), Answer Your Cat’s Question Day, Day of Unity of Ukraine (Ukraine)
- 23 January 2023- Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti (Parakram Diwas), World Freedom Day (Taiwan and South Korea), Bounty Day (Pitcairn Island), Snow Plow Mailbox Hockey Day, Espousals of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Roman Catholic Church), National Pie Day (US)
- 24 January 2023- National Girl Child Day, International Day of Education, National Peanut Butter Day (US), Feast of Our Lady of Peace (Roman Catholic Church), Moebius Syndrome Awareness Day, Unification Day (Romania)
- 25 January 2023– National Tourism Day (India), National Voters Day (India), 2011 Revolution Day (Egypt), National Police Day (Egypt), Tatiana Day (Russia, Eastern Orthodox), A Room of One’s Own Day, Feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran churches), Burns night (Scotland), Dydd Santes Dwynwen (Wales)
- 26 January 2023- Republic Day (India), Australia Day, International Customs Day, International Customs Day, Duarte Day (Dominican Republic), Liberation Day (Uganda), Engineer’s Day (Panama)
- 27 January 2023- Family Literacy Day (Canada), International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Day of the lifting of the siege of Leningrad (Russia), Saint Devota’s Day (Monaco), Holocaust Memorial Day (UK), Memorial Day (Italy) Holocaust Remembrance Day (Sweden), National Holocaust Memorial Day (Greece), Memorial Day for the Victims of the Holocaust and Prevention of Crimes against Humanity (Czech Republic), Memorial Day for the Victims of National Socialism (Germany), National Chocolate Cake Day (US), Feast of Saint Slava (Serbia)
- 28 January 2023- Birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai, Data Privacy Day, Army Day (Armenia)
- 29 January 2023- Kansas Day (Kansas, US)
- 30 January 2023- Mahatma Gandhi’s Martyrdom Day (Martyr’s Day), Teacher’s Day (Greece), Day of Azerbaijani customs (Azerbaijan), Fred Korematsu Day (California, US), Day of Saudade (Brazil), National Inane Answering Message Day (US), World Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) Day, World Leprosy Eradication Day (Last Sunday of January)
- 31 January 2023– Amartithi, Independence Day (Nauru), Me-Dam-Me-Phi (Ahom people), Street Children’s Day (Austria)
Significant month-long occurrences in January
Apart from observing some significant event, there are certain month-long observances that falls in the moth of January 2023 as given below.
- Alzheimer’s Awareness Month (Canada)
- Dry January (United Kingdom)
- National Codependency Awareness Month (US)
- National Mentoring Month (US)
- National Healthy Weight Awareness Month (US)
- Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month (US)
- Stalking Awareness Month (US)
January 2023 Important Days in India
Check out a little bit about some important days observed in the month of January 2023 that are of national significance. Some of these days are observed as national or restricted holidays in India.
National Youth Day: National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January and is also the birthday of Swami Vivekananda. His birth anniversary was declared as Swami National Youth Day to honor the work he did for the upliftment of the youth. This day is observed ny many schools, colleges and also at various centers of Ramakrishna Math and Mission.
Indian Army Day: 15 January is celebrated every year as Army Day in India, the day on which Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa’s took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from the last British Commander-in-Chief of India, General Fransis Bucher. On this day, Army Day parade is conducted in Cariappa Parade ground in Delhi cantonment.
National Tourism Day: Every year, January 25 is observed as National Tourism Day in India. The main idea behind observing this day is to let people know about the importance of tourism. A new theme is decided every year by the Government to celebrate this day. Each state celebrates this day according to their own unique culture.
Republic Day: Republic Day commemorates the day on which the Constitution of India came into effect on 26 January 1950. Observed all over the nation with zeal and excitement, the main celebration is held at Rajpath, New Delhi. The Republic Day celebration includes three main ceremonies- parade, beating retreat and award distribution.
Martyr’s Day: Observed on January 30th, Martyr’s Day marks the death anniversary on father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi who was assassinated by Nathuram Godse. On this day, a two-minute silence is observed throughout the country at 11 am. Other than this, death anniversary of Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar and Shivaram Rajguru on 23 March is also observed as Martyr’s Day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: When do we celebrate World Braille Day?
Answer: We celebrate World Braille Day on January 4 every year.
Question 2: When is Indian Army Day 2023?
Answer: We celebrate Indian Army Day on January 15.
Question 2: When is Makar Sankranti in 2023?
Answer: In the year 2023, Makar Sankranti will be celebrated on 14th January 2023.