The famous technology company Google will be celebrating its 26th birthday on September 27, 2024. Founded in the year 1998 by two PhD students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google is counted among the most powerful and influential companies in the world. Not only this, but its parent company Alphabet Inc. is one of the five Big Tech companies. Google has spent more than 25 years as a highly successful company and observed its silver jubilee anniversary on September 27, 2023. Check out more information related to Google’s 26th birthday and interesting details about the company in this article.
Overview of Google
Check out a basic overview of Google, formerly known as Google Inc.
|Previous name||Google Inc.|
|Founded on||September 4, 1998|
|Founded by||Larry Page and Sergey Brin|
|Headquarters||Googleplex, Mountain View, California, US|
|Industry served||Internet, Cloud computing, Computer software, Computer hardware, Artificial Intelligence, Advertising, etc|
|Products served||Android, Nest, Pixel, Search, Waze, Workspace, etc|
|CEO||Sundar Pichai (2015 – present)|
History of Google
The initial idea for Google came to Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1996 when they were both students of PhD at Stanford University in California. For their research project, the duo decided to create a search engine that would be better than the conventional engines which was based on the number of search terms appearing. Their idea was to base the search engine optimization on an algorithm that instead analyzed the relationships among websites. The code to execute this idea was written by Scott Hassan (often termed as the third unofficial founder of Google) and the algorithm was named PageRank. The new search engine thus found was named “BackRub” which was later changed to Google. The word Google was a misspelling of the word “googol” which indicates a very large number. Google Net Worth
Google received its initial funding in 1998 when the co-founder of Sun Microsystems invested a sum of $100,000 in the company. Two other major investors in the company were Jeff Bezos, the founder of another Big Tech company Amazon, and Ram Shriram who used to work at Amazon. With the help of investors, family, and friends, Google was able to raise $1 million in investments and opened up its small office in Menlo Park, California. Started as a search engine with humble beginnings, the company has a market capitalization of $1.65 trillion as of 2023 and has now entered the fields of artificial intelligence, online advertising, cloud computing, quantum computing, etc.
Google’s 26th Birthday Celebration
Google’s 26th birthday is set to be observed next year, i.e. 2024 on September 27. Although the company was founded on September 4, 1998, the official birthday is celebrated on September 27 to coincide with the announcement of the record number of pages that its search engine indexed. Every year Google celebrates its birthday with a special uniquely-designed Doodle. For the first seven years of its founding, Google celebrated its birthday on September 4 but was later changed to September 27.
Some Interesting Facts About Google
Here are some interesting facts about Google that you might not know:
- Craig Silverstein was Google’s first employee who studied PhD at Stanford with Page and Brin.
- A googol is a large number denoted by 10100 and Google was named after it to signify the large quantities of information meant to be provided by this search engine.
- Google became a public company on August 19, 2004.
- Most of its revenue is generated from advertising, along with certain other sources like sales.
- Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Drive, Docs, Google Photos, Keep, Translate, and YouTube, are some of the well-known services of Google.
- Google has more than 70 offices in 50 countries and has offices in every continent on the Earth.
- Fortune magazine ranked Google first on its list of the best companies to work in 2007, 2008, and 2012, and fourth in 2009 and 2010.
- Google has more than 4 billion global users.
- There is no limit to the number of tabs you can open in Chrome browser.
- There are more than 5,000 in-house created Doodles all of which can be seen in its public archive along with their artists.
FAQs relating to Google
Blue, red, yellow, and green are Google’s four colors.
Google’s first international office opened in Tokyo, Japan in 2001.
Scott Hassan was the lead programmer who wrote much of the code for Google. He is also the founder of the company Willow Garage.
Sundar Pichai’s annual income was estimated to be over $226 million last year.
The net worth of Larry Page and Sergey Brin are $110 billion and $105 billion respectively (as of September 2023).