Car racing always held a great significance for both speed lovers and car enthusiasts. History of auto racing goes back to the mid-19th century and with time it has evolved to become an organized sport with fans all over the world. Currently, there are many international car racing series such as Formula One, NASCAR driving, World Rally Championship and others. Becoming a professional car racer requires deep passion and hard work from an early age and there are some who have achieved the reputation of best drivers. The sport also rewards these racers well for their performance and some drivers have accumulated net worth of millions, owing to the sports. Here are the top 10 richest car racers in the world 2023-2024.
Top 10 Richest Car Racers in the World in 2023
Below is the list of top 10 richest car racers in the world 2023 along with information regarding their net worth and nationality:
|Net Worth (as in 2023)
|United States, Italy
World’s 10 Richest Car Racers in 2023
Check out some more details about the top 10 richest car racers of the world 2023.
1. Michael Schumacher
Michael Schumacher is a former racing driver of Formula One who had a fantastic career at the sport and has driven with some prominent F1 teams. He holds the record of most F1 world driver’s championship with 7 titles which he shares with another F1 driver Lewis Hamilton.
- Schumacher once held the world records for the most race wins, pole positions and podium finishes. He still holds the record for the most number of fastest laps.
- He is linked with many humanitarian projects and has donated of dollars to charity. Schumacher is also an ambassador for UNESCO.
- In December 2013, he met an accident while skiing with his son and suffered severe brain injury. Still recovering, his family keeps his health away from limelight.
- His son Mick Schumacher is also a Formula One driver since 2022.
2. Lewis Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton (full name Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE HonFREng) is a legendary racing driver currently competing in Formula One for Mercedes. In 2020, he was listed in 100 most influential people by Time magazine. He received Knighthood in the 2021 New Year Honours.
- Lewis is not only one of the richest drivers but also the highest-paid driver in Formula One.
- He holds the records for the most wins (103), pole positions (103) and podium finishes (187).
- Lewis Hamilton is believed to have played a major role in the globalization of the sports by appealing to a broader audience.
- He is famous for his lifestyle, his interests in music and fashion and is an active supporter of activism to combat racism.
3. Fernando Alonso
Fernando Alonso is one of the richest car racers in the world who drives for Alpine team in Formula One. He is the winner of F1 WDC (World Drivers’ Championship) in 2005 and 2006. Even at the age of 41 years, his driving skills are giving competition to the young champions.
- Over his 20 years of career, Alonso has driven for McLaren, Ferrari, and Minardi teams in Formula One.
- Other than F1 championship, he is also the winner of 24 Hours of Daytona, 24 Hours of Le Mans and FIA World Endurance Championship.
- He has been awarded with the Prince of Asturias Award for Sports, the Premios Nacionales del Deporte Sportsman of the Year Award and the Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sports Merit.
- Alonso currently runs an esports and junior racing team.
4. Kimi Raikkonen
Kimi Räikkönen, also called as “The Iceman” by the fans, is a former Formula One car racing driver who won 2007 Formula One World Championship for Scuderia Ferrari. He is a prominent racer driven for Sauber, McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, and Alfa Romeo teams in F1.
- Räikkönen won the last World Drivers’ Championship for Ferrari to date.
- He is listed among the only five drivers to have more than 100 podium finishes with 103 wins.
- In terms of Finnish race car drivers, Räikkönen is the most successful driver with 21 Grands Prix.
- Räikkönen was included in the Forbes magazine list of “Celebrity 100” in 2008 as the 26th highest paid celebrity and fifth highest paid sportsman.
5. Ken Block
Kenneth Paul Block is a rally car driver who races for the Hoonigan Racing Division. He ranks fourth in the list of top 10 richest car racers in the world 2023. He is the first American racer to campaign in the World Rally Championship and the second to score points.
- Block has competed professionally in rally car racing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and motocross.
- He is the co-owner and “Head Hoonigan In Charge” of the apparel brand Hoonigan Industries. The company manufactures racing clothes for enthusiasts.
- DC Shoes is another company co-owned by Ken Block that manufactures footwear for action sport.
- Block holds the world record for the world’s fastest snowcat driving.
6. Jeff Gordon
Jeffery Michael Gordon was a stock car racing driver who drove for Hendrick Motorsports in the NASCAR Cup Series. He is regarded as one of the most influential drivers in NASCAR driving and has been actively raced in the series for 22 years from 1993 to 2015.
- Gordon was named in the 50 Greatest Drivers list of NASCAR and has been termed as the Greatest Drivers of All-Time by various outlets.
- He is one of the richest care racers, the highest-paid NASCAR driver ever and ranks 18 on the list of highest-paid athlete of all-time.
7. Jenson Button
Jenson Button is a British racing driver who has raced in Formula One and has also won a championship with Brawn GP team in 2009. He is counted among the best drivers of Formula One and is one of the richest race car drivers in 2023.
- Other than F1, he has also won the 2018 season of the Super GT Series with Honda racing team Kunimitsu.
- Button was a race enthusiast from an early age and watched Formula One motor racing since he was six.
- His hobbies include mountain biking and he likes to compete in triathlons and bodyboarding.
- Button owns an amazing collection of automobiles (mostly supercars) including multiple Ferraris, Porsche, McLaren, Buggati, etc.
8. Sebastian Vettel
Sebastian Vettel is a race car driver of Formula One who holds the record for four consecutive championships. His consecutive wins made him the youngest F1 champion, the youngest two-times champion, the youngest three-times champion and youngest four-times champion. The record is quite interesting with very less probability to be broken any soon.
- Vettel has won four World Drivers’ Championship titles, which he won consecutively from 2010 to 2013 with Red Bull racing team.
- Over his career, Vettel has driven for BMW Sauber, Toro Rosso, Red Bull, Ferrari and Aston Martin.
- His current team is Aston Martin from which he will retire saying goodbye to the sport at the end of the season.
- Sebastian Vettel is often termed as Baby Schumi for his driving style is quite similar to that of Michael Schumacher.
9. Eddie Irvine
Edmund Irvine Jr. is a media personality and former car racing driver who competed in Formula One. He had a fair career at the sport having finished runner-up in the 1999 championship.
- Irvine was a driver with the Scuderia Ferrari Formula One team. He was hired by Ferrari in 1996 to help support Michael Schumacher’s championship effort.
- He takes interests in the property market and has built up an investment portfolio during his racing career.
- Irvine remains the latest driver from the United Kingdom to have represented Ferrari.
10. Mario Andretti
Mario Andretti is a former racing driver often cited as one of the most successful American car racers. Not only Formula One, Andretti is also the winner of IndyCar Series, the World Sportscar Championship and NASCAR. He is included in the list of top 10 richest car racers in the world.
- Mario Andretti is highly popular in America with his name termed as a synonym of speed.
- He is the last American driver till date to win a Formula One race at the 1978 Dutch Grand Prix.
- Andretti is the only driver ever to win the Indianapolis 500 (1969), Daytona 500 (1967) and the Formula One World Championship.