A candidate can choose the Kashmiri language as an optional subject for the UPSC Main Exam. However, aspirants should select this subject only if they have prior interest or background in the Kashmiri language. The UPSC Kashmiri syllabus is very big and it comprises of a lot of topics based on literature and language. To prepare for the exam effectively, the candidates must be well-versed with the syllabus beforehand. Aspirants who are looking to select Kashmiri as an optional subject must go through this post to find the latest Civil Services Kashmiri syllabus 2023.
IAS Kashmiri Syllabus 2023
The exam pattern of Kashmiri is not different from other optional subjects. It also has two papers carrying 250 marks each. The complete syllabus for both of these papers is given below.
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus for Kashmiri – Paper I
- Phonology and grammar
- Vowel and consonant system
- Nouns and pronouns with various case inflections,
- Verbs: various types and tenses.
- Syntactic structure
- Simple, active and declarative statements.
- Kashmiri literature in the first half of the twentieth century (with special reference to Mahjoor and Azad, various literary influences).
- Nineteenth century Kashmiri literature (development of various genres : vatsun, ghazal and mathnavi.
- Kashmiri literature in the 14th century (Socio-cultural and intellectual background with special reference to Lal Dyad and Sheikhul Alam).
- Modern Kashmiri literature (with special reference to the development of the short story, drama, novel and nazm).
UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus Optional Paper – II
- Kashmiri poetry : 19th Century
- Mahmood Gami (Vatsans)
- Maqbool shah (Gulrez)
- Rasool Mir (Ghazals)
- Abdul Ahad Nadim (N’at)
- Krishanjoo Razdan (Shiv Lagun)
- Sufi Poets (Test in Sanglaab, published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir)
- Intensive study of Kashmiri poetry up to the nineteenth century:
- Habba Khatoon
- Sheikhul Aalam
- Lal Dyad
- Literary criticism and research work: development and various trends.
- Twentieth Century Kashmiri poetry (text in Azich Kashir Shairi, published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir).
- Drama in Kashmiri
- Natuk Kariv Band by Hari Krishan Kaul
- Qk Angy Natuk, ed. Motilal Keemu, published by the Sahitya Akademi.
- Razi Oedipus, tr. Naji Munawar, published by the Sahitya Akademi.
- Novel in Kashmiri
- Mujrim by G. N. Gowhar
- Marun—Ivan Ilyichun, (Kashmiri version of Tolstoy’s) The Death of Ivan Ilyich (published by Kashmiri Deptt.)
- Kashmiri Folk Literature:
- Kashur Luki Theatre by Mohammad Subhan Bhagat,published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir.
- Kashiry Luki Beeth (all volumes) published by the J&K Cultural Akademy.
- An analytical study of the short story in Kashmiri.
- Afsana Majmu’a, published by the department of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir.
- Kashur Afsana Az, published by the Sahitya Akademi.
- Hamasar Kashur Afsana, published by the Sahitya Akademi.
The following short story writers only: Akhtar Mohi-ud Din, Kamil, Hari Krishan Kaul, Hraday Kaul Bharti, Bansi Nirdosh, Gulshan Majid.Literature Kashmiri
UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus – Download PDF