UPSC civil services exam comprises of three stages i.e. pre exam, main exam, and interview. For the main exam, candidates have to choose one optional subject. Interested candidates also have the option to select Odia as their optional subject in the main exam. Candidates looking to appear for Odia papers in the UPSC main exam should get well-versed with UPSC Odia syllabus 2023. The syllabus consists of the chapters and topics that a student needs to cover. In this post, we are presenting the detailed syllabus of civil services exam of Odia Subject.
IAS Odia Syllabus 2023
It is advised that an aspirant should select Odia as an optional subject only if he/she has a relevant interest or background. The syllabus of Odia subject is not that big as compared to the syllabi of other optional subjects. Given below is the detailed syllabus of Odia Paper I and Paper II of UPSC Main exam.
UPSC Odia Optional exam syllabus – Paper I
Section – A
- Phonetics and Phonemics: Vowels, Consonants Principles of changes in Odia sounds.
- Origin and development of Odia Language—Influence of Austric, Dravidian, Perso— Arabic and English on Odia Language.
- Syntax: Kinds of sentences and their trans-formation, structure of sentences.
- Morphology: Morphemes (free, bound compound and complex), derivational and inflectional affixes, case inflection, conjugation of verb.
- Common errors in spellings, grammatical uses and construction of sentences.
- Semantics—Different types of change in meaning. Euphemism.
- Regional variations in Odia Language (Western, Southern and Northern Odia) and Dialects (Bhatri and Desia).
Section – B
- Ancient epics, ornate kavyas and padavalis.
- Historical backgrounds (social, cultural and political) of Odia Literature of different periods.
- Typical structural forms of Odia Literature (Koili, Chautisa, Poi, Chaupadi, Champu).
- Modern trends in poetry, drama short story, novel essay and literary criticism.
Civil Services Odia Syllabus – Paper II
- Jaganãth Dãs—Bhãgabata, XI Skadhã—Jadu Avadhuta Sambãda.
- Sãralã Dãs—Shanti Parva from Mahãbhãrata.
- Dinakrushna Dãs—Raskallola—(Chhãndas—16 & 34)
- Upendra Bhanja—Lãvanyabati (Chhãndas—1 & 2).
- Mãyãdhar Mänasinha—Jeevan—Chitã.
- Rãdhãnath Rãy—Chandrabhãgã.
- Ramãkãnta Ratha—Saptama Ritu.
- Sãtchidananda Routray—Kabitã—1962.
Section – B
- Bijay Mishra—Tata Niranjanä.
- Manoranjan Dãs—Kätha-Ghoda.
- Gopinãth Mohãnty—Dãnãpani.
- Fakir Mohan Senãpati—Chhamãna Ãthaguntha.
- Short Story
- Manoj Dãs—Laxmira Abhisãra
- Surendra Mohãnty—Marãlara Mrityu
- Chandra Sekhar Rath—Mun Satyadharmã Kahuchhi (First five essays).
- Chittaranjan Dãs—Tranga O Tadit (First Five essays).
UPSC Odia Syllabus– Download PDF