The aspirants looking to appear for the UPSC civil services main exam can select Urdu as an optional subject. Candidates having a prior background and knowledge of the subject can prepare for the exam with ease. Apart from this, having a good knowledge of UPSC Urdu Syllabus 2023 also plays an important role in the exam preparation. Interested candidates can check the latest IAS Urdu Syllabus from this post. The syllabus involves various topics and chapters from which the board will prepare the question paper. Aspirants should check all the topics very carefully and prepare for the exam strictly according to the syllabus.
UPSC Civil Services Urdu Syllabus 2023
Candidates should note that they have to write their answers in the Urdu language during the exam. The exam consists of two papers i.e. Paper I and Paper II. Both of these papers will carry 250 marks. So, overall Urdu exam will carry 500 marks in the main exam. The syllabus for both the Urdu papers is given below.
IAS Urdu Exam Syllabus – Paper I
Development of Urdu Language
- Development of Indo-Aryan
- New Indo-Aryan.
- Middle Indo-Aryan
- Old Indo-Aryan
- Dakhani Urdu—origin and development, its significant linguistic features.
- Western Hindi and its dialects Brij Bhasha Khadi Boli, Haryanavi, Kannauji, Bundeli—Theories about the origin of Urdu language.
- Social and Cultural roots of Urdu language— and its distinctive features. Script, Phonology, Morphology, Vocabulary.
- Genres and their development:
- Pros: Novel, Short Story, Dastan, Drama, Inshaiya, Khutoot, Biography
- Poetry: Ghazal, Masnavi, Qasida, Marsia, Rubai Jadid Nazm.
- Literary Criticism and its development with reference to Hali, Shibli, Kaleemuddin Ahmad, Ehtisham Hussain, Ale-Ahmad Suroor.
- Significant feaures of:
- Sir Syed movement, Romantic Movement, Progressive movement, Modernism.
- Deccani, Delhi and Lucknow schools
- Essay writing (covering literary and imaginativetopics)
Urdu Syllabus for UPSC Exam – Paper II
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Mir Amman: Bagho-Babar
- Rajendra Singh Bedi: Apne Dukh Mujhe Dedo
- Prem Chand: Godan
- Mohd. Husain Azad: Nairang-e-khayal
- Ghalib: Intikhab-e-Khutoot-e Ghalib
- Abul Kalam Azad: Ghubar-e-Khatir
- Akhtruliman: Bint-e-Lamhat
- Faiz: Dast-e-Saba
- Firaq: Gul-e-Naghma
- Iqbal: Bal-e-Jibrail
- Ghalib: Diwan-e-Ghalib
- Mir Hasan: Sahrul Bayan
- Mir: Intikhab-e-Kalam-e-Mir (Ed. Abdul Haq.)
UPSC Urdu Syllabus 2023: Download PDF