World Lion Day is celebrated globally on August 10 every year to raise awareness about lions and their protection and conservation. The day provides an opportunity for people all over the world to fight against the decline in the population and habitat of these animals. World Lion Day celebration was initiated by Dereck and Beverly Joubert and has been observed every year since 2013. Get interesting details related to World Lion Day 2023 such as its history, significance, celebration, and more from this article.
World Lion Day 2023 Overview
|Event||World Lion Day 2023|
|Date||August 10, 2023|
|Proposed by||Dereck and Beverly Joubert|
|Purpose of celebration||To raise awareness about lions, and their protection and conservation.|
World Lion Day Upcoming Events
Below mentioned are the upcoming dates for World Lion Day for the next 5 years.
|World Lion Day 2023||August 10, 2023||Thursday|
|World Lion Day 2024||August 10, 2024||Saturday|
|World Lion Day 2025||August 10, 2025||Sunday|
|World Lion Day 2026||August 10, 2026||Monday|
|World Lion Day 2027||August 10, 2027||Tuesday|
World Lion Day 2023 Significance
The main objective of observing World Lion Day is to raise awareness of the lions and the issues faced by them, the decline in their population being the foremost. The day also focuses on creating more natural habitats for them by building national parks and sanctuaries. In addition to this, World Lion Day is also about educating people on how to live in harmony with these wild beasts without endangering the lives of either of them.
History of World Lion Day 2023
The history of the celebration of World Lion Day can be traced back to the formation of the Big Cat Initiative (BCI) in 2009. The initiative was started by Dereck and Beverly Joubert, popular conservationists and filmmakers, who were troubled by the drastically decreasing population of wild cats worldwide. In partnership with National Geographic, the couple started the BCI with the goal of protecting and preserving the remaining lion species in the world. Following this, another initiative to observe World Lion Day was also launched and the first Lion Day came into being in 2013.
Through the BCI initiative, explorers have been able to launch more than 100 projects to protect big cat species in 28 countries. Researchers have built more than 1,800 enclosures to save big cats from retaliatory killings from the grants received from the Big Cats Initiative.
Celebration of World Lion Day 2023
The best way to observe World Lion Day is by making some donation, small or large, to charities that work towards the protection of lions. There are numerous charities such as the African Wildlife Foundation, Lion Conservation Fund, The Lions Foundation, Lion Recovery Fund, and others where you can make donations. You can also volunteer to work at these foundations and encourage your friends to come with you too. Teach people about the conditions of lions in the world and urge them to refuse to hunt lions for trophies or any other reason for that matter. You can offer your support to save the lions by adopting them. You won’t be given a lion to take home under this program but rather you will be asked to make a donation of any kind and the fund will be used to take care of the adopted lion.
Quotes on World Lion Day
Certainly! Lions are often seen as symbols of strength, courage, and leadership. Here are some famous quotes about lions:
- “The lion doesn’t turn around when the small dog barks.” – African Proverb
- “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
- “A lion does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.” – George R.R. Martin
- “A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.” – Veronica Roth
- “A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man.” – Turkish Proverb
- “A lion among ladies is a most dreadful thing.” – William Shakespeare
- “It’s better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.” – Elizabeth Kenny
- “A lion’s work hours are only when he’s hungry; once he’s satisfied, the predator and prey live peacefully together.” – Chuck Jones
- “If ever you feel like an animal among men, be a lion.” – Criss Jami
- “History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon, but you are the author of your own history, and you decide what version of it to tell, the truth or the lies.” – Shannon L. Alder
Interesting Facts Related to Lion
Check out some interesting facts about lions this World Lion Day:
- The maximum population of wild lions live in Africa.
- On average, male lions weigh 190 kg and females weigh 126 kg.
- Lions can eat up to 40 kg of meat at a time.
- There are only around 23,000 lions left in the wild.
- A lion can run at 50 mph and leap as far as 36 feet but for short distances only.
- Lions can expect to live between 10 to 14 years of age in the wild.
- Apart from trophies, lions are illegally hunted for their bones.
- The size and color of a male lion’s mane likely indicate its physical fitness.
- A family group of lions is called a pride that comprises a large number of females with only a few male lions.
- The roar of a lion can be heard up to 5 miles (8 km).
Frequently Asked Questions
August 10, 2023
There is no holiday observed on World Lion Day.