The primary objective of Social Science curriculum of CBSE is to develop the understanding of subjects like history, economics, geography, etc. in a student. Basically, CBSE Class 8th Social Science Syllabus 2020 is divided into three parts i.e. History, Geography and Civics. The students should familiarize themselves with the syllabus of all three parts in order score good marks in both mid-term and final exams. Apart from the students, even teachers should also be aware of the syllabus as prescribed by the CBSE. In this article, we are presenting the latest CBSE Class 8th Social Science Syllabus 2020 in a detailed manner.
CBSE 8th Class Social Science Syllabus 2020
The syllabus of Social Science contains the chapter-wise topics that a student has to cover in an academic year. As stated earlier, the overall syllabus is divided into 3 parts. Let’s go through the detailed syllabus of each part.
CBSE Class 8th History Syllabus
In history subject, the students have to study the following chapters.
Our Pasts – III Part 1- Textbook for History for Class VIII
- How, When and Where
- From Trade to Territory: The Company Establishes Power
- Ruling the Countryside
- Tribals, Dikus and the Vision of a Golden Age
- When People Rebel 1857 and After
- Colonialism and the City: The Story of an Imperial Capital
Our Pasts – III Part 2- Textbook for History for Class VIII
- Weavers, Iron Smelters and Factory Owners
- Civilising the “Native”, Educating the Nation
- Women, Caste and Reform
- The Changing World of Visual Arts
- The Making of the National Movement: 1870s–1947
- India After Independence
CBSE Class 8th Civics Syllabus
The syllabus of civics is further divided into five units having different chapters as given below.
Unit 1. The Indian Constitution and Secularism
- The Indian Constitution
- Understanding Secularism
Unit 2. Parliament and the Making of Laws
- Why do we need a Parliament?
- Understanding Laws
Unit 3. The Judiciary
- Understanding Our Criminal Justice System
Unit 4. Social Justice and the Marginalised
- Understanding Marginalisation
- Confronting Marginalisation
Unit 5. Economic Presence of the Government
- Public Facilities
- Law and Social Justice
In geography, the class 8th students need to cover the following chapters as given below.
- Land, Soil, Water, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife Resources
- Mineral and Power Resources
- Human Resources
The following books are most recommended for CBSE Class 8th Social Science Syllabus.
- History: Our Pasts – III (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Geography: Resource and Development
- Civics: Social and Political Life – III
CBSE Class 8th Social Science Syllabus 2020: Download PDF
CBSE Class 8th Syllabus (other Subjects)