Check here important GK questions and answer about Mahatma Gandhi and his life. These questions may also be asked in your upcoming competitive exam.
Gandhi Jayanti is also celebrated on October 2. This day is also known as International Day of Non-Violence.
Important GK Questions about Mahatma Gandhi
- When did Mahatma Gandhi become the president of the Indian National Congress for the first and only time?
Answer: In December 1924.
- Mahatma Gandhi completed his high school education from which school?
Answer: Alfred High School
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s wife?
Answer: Kasturbai Makhanji Kapadia.
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s father?
Answer: Karamchand Uttamchand Gandhi
- Who was Mahatma Gandhi’s mother?
Answer: Putlibai Gandhi
- What was the full name of Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- What is Alfred High School in Rajkot known as today?
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi Museum
- Where was the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Porbandar, Gujarat
- When was Mahatma Gandhi born?
Answer: 2nd October 1869.
- Mahatma Gandhi founded which newspaper in South Africa?
Answer: Indian Opinion
- From which college in London, did Mahatma Gandhi get trained in the law?
Answer: The Inner Temple, London.
- When did Mahatma Gandhi move to South Africa?
Answer: In 1893
- To represent whom, Mahatma Gandhi moved to South Africa?
Answer: To represent an Indian Merchant in a lawsuit.
- How many years did Mahatma Gandhi spend in South Africa?
Answer: 21 Years
- In which Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa?
- What was the age of Mahatma Gandhi when he returned to India from South Africa?
Answer: 45 years
- Which prominent Indian political leader requested Mahatma Gandhi to return to India in 1915?
Answer: Gopal Krishna Gokhale
- Who conveyed the request of Gopal Krishan Gokhale to Mahatma Gandhi to return to India?
Answer: C.F. Andrews.
- Which event led to Mahatma Gandhi’s first involvement in Indian politics
Answer: Champaran Satyagraha
- Champaran Satyagraha took place in which year?
- Champaran is a place in which district of today’s India?
- During the Champran agitation, the local peasantry was forced by the Britishers to grow which crop?
Answer: Indigofera (a cash crop for Indigo dye)
- What was the name of the Satyagraha that Mahatma Gandhi organized to support peasants who were unable to pay the revenue because of famine and plague epidemic?
Answer: Kheda Satyagraha
- Mahatma Gandhi was assisted by which Indian leader during Kheda Satyagraha who went on to become the first home minister of India?
Answer: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- When did Kheda Satyagraha start?
Answer: 22nd March 1918
- Against which act of the British government, did Mahatma Gandhi start the Civil Disobedience movement?
Answer: Rowlatt Act
- Mahatma Gandhi called for the Civil Disobedience Movement in which year?
- What was the famous movement led by Gandhi against the British salt tax
Answer: The Salt March or Dandi March
- How many children did Mahatma Gandhi have?
Answer: 4 sons
- What were the names of Mahatma Gandhi’s Children?
Answer: Harilal, Manilal, Ramdas, and Devdas.
- Who was Mahatma Gandhi’s political mentor?
Answer: Gopal Krishna Gokhale
- When did Mahatma Gandhi organise the Dandi March?
Answer: From 12th March 1930 to 6th April 1930.
- For how many kilometres did Mahatma Gandhi walk during the Dandi March?
Answer: 388 Kilometres (241 miles)
- What was the famous pact that Mahatma Gandhi signed with Lord Irwin?
Answer: Gandhi-Irwin Pact
- What was the full name of the Viceroy of India who signed the Gandhi-Irwin Pact with Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Edward Frederick Lindley Wood.
- Mahatma Gandhi participated in which round table conference with the British Government?
Answer: 2nd round table conference
- Mahatma Gandhi managed the release of how many political prisoners under the Gandhi-Irwin pact?
Answer: Around 90,000.
- Which British Prime Minister called Mahatma Gandhi a “Half-Naked Fakir”?
Answer: Winston Churchill.
- What is the literal meaning of “Mahatma”, a title given to Gandhi?
Answer: Great Soul
- Who gave the title of “Mahatma” to Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi?
Answer: Rabindranath Tagore
- When did Rabindranath Tagor give the title of “Mahatma” to Gandhi?
Answer: In 1915 while writing his autobiography.
- Who gave the title of “Father of Nation” to Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Subhas Chandra Bose
- Which British Prime Minister called Mahatma Gandhi “Hindu Mussolini”?
Answer: Winston Churchill.
- In which community centre, Mahatma Gandhi stayed during his visit to London for the second round table conference?
Answer: Kingsley Hall
- In which jail, Mahatma Gandhi was imprisoned in Pune when he started a new Satyagraha after returning from the second round table conference?
Answer: Yerwada Jail
- Mahatma Gandhi started a fast-unto-death in Yerwada jail against which rule of the British Government?
Answer: Communal Award or MacDonal Award.
- What was the main motive of the Communal Award by the British Government?
Answer: To provide a separate electorate to depressed Classes (now known as the Scheduled Caste) and other minorities.
- In which year, Mahatma Gandhi resigned from Congress party membership?
Answer: In 1934.
- Through which session of congress, Mahatma Gandhi returned to active politics in 1936?
Answer: Lucknow Session.
- Under whose presidency, the Lucknow session of Congress in 1936 took place?
Answer: Jawaharlal Nehru
- Subhas Chandra Bose defeated which candidate nominated by Mahatma Gandhi to become the Congress President for the second time?
Answer: Bhogaraju Pattabhi Sitaramayya
- What event marked the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi’s activism in South Africa?
Answer: The train incident when he was thrown out of the train.
- In which city of South Africa, Mahatma Gandhi was thrown out of the train?
- Mahatma Gandhi volunteered to form which group of stretcher-bearers in 1900 in South Africa during the Boer War?
Answer: Natal Indian Ambulance Corps.
- When did Mahatma Gandhi marry Kasturba Gandhi?
Answer: In May 1883.
- How old was Mahatma Gandhi when got married?
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s eldest son?
- In January 1888, Mahatma Gandhi enrolled at which college but dropped out to return to his family at Porbandar?
Answer: Samaldas College in Bhavnagar, Gujarat.
- In which college in London, Mahatma Gandhi took classes in English Literature?
Answer: University College, London
- Mahatma Gandhi joined the London Vegetarian Society by getting influenced by which writer?
Answer: Henry Salt.
- Mahatma Gandhi was influenced by which Russian writer?
Answer: Leo Tolstoy.
- What is the name of Gandhi’s autobiography?
Answer: The Story of My Experiment with Truth
- What type of clothing did Gandhi wear as a symbol of simplicity and self-reliance?
- In which city in Gujarat, Mahatma Gandhi established his Ashram?
Answer: Sabarmati Ashram
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s ashram in Durban, South Africa?
Answer: Phoenix Settlement
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s ashram in Tolstoy Farm in Johannesburg, South Africa?
Answer: Tolstoy Farm.
- After which incident did Mahatma Gandhi withdraw from the non-cooperation movement?
Answer: The incident of Chauri Chaura
- What was the date when Mahatma Gandhi withdrew from the non-cooperation movement?
Answer: 12th February 1922
- Which famous Indian poet wrote the famous poem “Vaishnava Jana To” that Mahatma Gandhi loved?
Answer: Narsinh Mehta
- What was the name of Romain Rolland’s famous book about Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi: The Man Who Became One with the Universal Being
- Mahatma Gandhi founded which weekly magazine in 1933?
- Which weekly newspaper was founded by Lala Lajpat Rai and later published by Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Young India
- In which year did Time magazine name Mahatma Gandhi the Man of the Year?
Answer: In 1930.
- Who called Mahatma Gandhi “The greatest man of our age”?
Answer: Albert Einstein
- Did Mahatma Gandhi ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize?
Answer: No, although he was nominated five times.
- When was Mahatma Gandhi nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for the first time?
Answer: In 1937.
- Which committee nominated Mahatma Gandhi for the Nobel Peace Prize for the first time?
Answer: American Friends Service Committee
- With which iconic Indian leader did Mahatma Gandhi share his birthday?
Answer: Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Which session of the Indian National Congress was held under the presidency of Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Belgaum session in 1924.
- Which non-profit organisation was founded by Mahatma Gandhi in 1932 to eradicate untouchability in India?
Answer: Harijan Sevak Sangh
- What was the name of Mahatma Gandhi’s youngest son?
Answer: Devdas Gandhi
- Who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: Nathuram Godse
- When was Mahatma Gandhi assassinated by Nathuram Godse?
Answer: 30th January 1948
- How old was Mahatma Gandhi when he died?
Answer: 78 years old
- Where did Mahatma Gandhi die?
Answer: Birla House, New Delhi
- Which worldwide day is observed on the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi?
Answer: International Day of Nonviolence
- Mahatma Gandhi’s father was the dewan (chief minister) of which state?
- Who gave the slogan of Karo ya Maro (do or die) to Indians?
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi
- Mahatma Gandhi started which movement on 9th August 1942?
Answer: Quit India Movement or Bharat Chhodo Andolan
- Mahatma Gandhi was held in which place when he was arrested during the Quit India Movement?
Answer: Aga Khan Palace.
- Which British Journalist interviewed Mahatma Gandhi when he was in jail at Aga Khan Palace?
Answer: Stuart Gelder
- When did the wife of Mahatma Gandhi, Kasturba Gandhi die?
Answer: On 22nd February 1944
- Where and how did Mahatma Gandhi spend the Independence Day in August 1947?
Answer: Fasting in Calcutta for peace among countrymen.
- What is the memorial complex of Mahatma Gandhi known as?
Answer: Raj Ghat
- Which American historian described Gandhi as “India’s greatest revolutionary nationalist leader” and the greatest Indian since the Buddha?
Answer: Stanley Wolpert
- Which Florian asteroid was named in Mahatma Gandhi’s honour in September 2020?
Answer: 120461 Gandhi.
- What is the name of the UN Secretary-General who called Gandhi an “uncompromising advocate for peaceful co-existence”?
Answer: Antonio Guterres
- Mahatma Gandhi’s date of death, 30 January, is known by which day in India?
Answer: Martyrs’ Day
- Where are Mahatma Gandhi’s relics still preserved?
Answer: Gandhi Museum, Madurai
- What was the name of football clubs formed by Mahatma Gandhi in South Africa?
Answer: Passive Resisters Soccer Club.