Everyone knows that being in the Indian Army or a part of the legal fraternity is a matter of pride in itself. Well, what if I tell you that you can be a part of both? Judge Advocate General (JAG) is the answer to this. JAG is a special way for fresh law graduates to be a part of the Indian Army as a Lawyer.
Short Service Commission in the Indian Army for the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Branch is being offered among unmarried male and unmarried female law graduates.
Responsibilities of a Judge Advocate General
- In all respects, JAG officers offer military legal assistance, particularly, advice on military law to the presiding officers of court-martial.
- The duty of a military lawyer in their day-to-day roles is like a civilian lawyer. The main distinction is the representation of the client under military tribunals and legislation. The military officers deal with and can be represented in civil and criminal proceedings solely by military lawyers.
- JAG officers are equivalent to the rank of lieutenant and are masters in the application of Military Laws, from drafting to presenting the cases before the courts and military tribunals.
Indian Army Lawyer Eligibility Criteria
- Indian Citizen.
- A subject of Nepal.
- An individual of Indian origin who has migrated from Burma, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Uganda, Malawi, United Republic of Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam with the objective of settling permanently in India, given that an applicant pertaining to categories (ii) and (iii) above has been issued a certificate of eligibility by the Indian Government. Candidates who are Nepalese Gorkha subjects, on the other hand, would not need a certificate of eligibility.
- 21-27 years as on 1st July 2023 (Not born before 2nd July 1996 and not after 1st July 2002; Including both the dates).
Note: Applicants must be aware that the date of birth as indicated on the Matriculation/Secondary School Examination Document or an equivalent certificate on the date of application submission will solely be the accepted date of birth and no request afterward for changing the date of birth will be allowed.
- Minimum of 55 percent in the LLB degree (three years as a professional after graduation or five years after passing the 10+2 stage).
- Candidates must be eligible to register as lawyers with the Bar Council of India/State.
- Applicants must have graduated from a Bar Council of India-approved college or university.
Men: Six (6)
Women: Two (2)
Note: This number of vacancies is not permanent but is different every year.
Indian Army Lawyer Selection Process
The procedure for selection is divided into different stages:
Stage 1: Screening of Applications
- The shortlisting of applications will be done by the integrated HQ of MoD (Army) and they are not bound to specify any reasons for the rejection or selection of an application.
- Centre will be allotted to the candidates after shortlisting of applications and they will be informed through mail.
- Candidates have to select their SSB dates on the official website which are initially available on a first-come-first basis and this has to be done after the Centre has been allotted to the candidates.
- There are four selection centers:
Stage 2: Aptitude Test
- Those who have cleared the 1st stage will go on to the 2nd The second stage consists of two sub-stages.
- Both the sub-stages consist of four psychological aptitude tests in total:
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT): In this, twelve pictures are shown to the candidates and for each picture, they get thirty seconds to observe it and after the observation, they get four minutes each to write a story about the pictures they observed. The 12th picture is a blank one as you have to relate it with your own individual life.
- Word Association Test (WAT): sixty words are flashed on your screen and you get fifteen seconds each to read it and then you are supposed to write the first thought that comes to your mind after reading the word.
- Situation Reaction Test (SRT): Candidates are required to respond to difficult, unexpected, and real-life circumstances in a spontaneous and natural manner. In total 60 situations are given and each of them has to be answered in 30 seconds.
- Self Description (SD): Candidates are told to write the opinion which they think their parents, teachers; friends have for them and also to write their opinion about themselves.
- You can only go to the second sub-stage after clearing the first sub-stage of stage 2.
Stage 3: Medical Examination
After clearing stage 2, next comes the medical examination. The SSB recommended candidates and who are found to be medically fit and have fulfilled all the eligibility criteria will be provided with a joining letter.
Note: To read the medical procedures and standards for the medical examination, kindly visit www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.
Indian Army Lawyer Tenure
The total term is 14 years, although there are some limitations. After ten years of service, an SSC officer will be eligible to continue for another four years provided he or she is fit and capable.
The training takes place at OTA, Chennai for 49 weeks.
- Candidates are not allowed to marry during the training period or after successfully passing both the stages but before the starting of the training.
- The University of Madras awards the candidates with PG Diploma in Defence Management and Strategic Studies, after the successful completion of the training.
Indian Army Lawyer Pay Structure
- Lieutenant: 56, 100-1,77,500
- Captain: 61,300-1,93,900
- Major: 69,400-2,07,200
- Colonel: 1,21,200-2,12,400
- Colonel: 1,30,600-2,15,900
- Brigadier: 1,39,600-2,17,600
- Major General: 1,44,200-2,18,200
Indian Army Lawyer Application Form
You need to visit the Indian army official website “www.joinindianarmy.nic.in” in order to apply for a lawyer in Indian Army.
- Click on “Login or Officer Entry Apply” and then click on “Registration” (Not needed if already registered).
- After reading the instructions, fill the registration form carefully.
- After the completion of registration, you can open your profile, go to “Apply Online” for processing the Application.
- The Officers’ selection eligibility page will open. Click on “Apply” and an application form will appear on your screen.
- The details are to be filled properly and have to be saved in a particular segment before moving to a different segment.
- After completing this, the information can be reviewed and edited if needed. After being sure about all the details, click on “submit”.
- Download the PDF and take out two copies which consist of the roll no. and other important details.
Now, this was the comprehensive procedure to be a lawyer in the Indian Army. Clearing JAG is a dream for most law students. It is indeed difficult but definitely doable with proper hard work and preparation.
Also check- How to become a judge in India