We all know how crucial the Armed Forces of India are to keep our borders safe. But, do know organizations such as Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) are equally important. OFB consists of multiple Indian Ordnance Factories that manufacture Guns and Ammunition for the Armed Forces of India. The Ordnance Factory Board of India is the 2nd largest manufacturer of defence equipment in Asia.
Divided into 7 Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs), there are 41 Indian Ordnance Factors in various locations. In this article, we are going to provide you with a list of all 41 Ordnance factories in India in 2022.
Facts about the Ordnance Factory Board of India
Before checking out the list of all ordnance factories in India, let’s take a look at some important facts related to Ordnance Factory Board of India.
- The first ordnance factory of India was established in India in the year 1712 when the Dutch Ostend Company established a Gun Powder Factory in Ichhapur.
- The Ordnance Factory Board was established on 2nd April 1979.
- In the year 1935, Indian Ordnance Service was introduced to administer the whole Defence Production Industry of India
- On 1st October 2021, the government of India dissolved Ordnance Factory Board. All its staff, management, control is now transferred to the following 7 newly for Defence PSUs.
- Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited (AWE)
- Troop Comforts Limited (TCL)
- Yantra India Limited (YIL)
- Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited (AVANI)
- Gliders India Limited (GIL)
- Munitions India Limited (MIL)
- India Optel Limited (IOL)
Check: 10 steel companies in India
List of All 41 Ordnance Factories in India
|Name of the Factory and Corresponding PSU||Location||State|
|Ammunition Factory Khadki (AFK) – Munitions India Limited||Pune||Maharashtra|
|Engine Factory Avadi (EFA) – Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited||Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|Cordite Factory Aruvankadu (CFA) – Munitions India Limited||Aruvankadu||Tamil Nadu|
|Field Gun Factory, Kanpur (FGK) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Gun Carriage Factory Jabalpur (GCF) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Jabalpur||Madhya Pradesh|
|Grey Iron Foundry (GIF) – Yantra India Limited||Jabalpur||Madhya Pradesh|
|Gun and Shell Factory (GSF) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Kolkata||West Bengal|
|Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project (HAPP) – Munitions India Limited||Tiruchirappalli||Tamil Nadu|
|High Explosives Factory (HEF) – Munitions India Limited||Pune||Maharashtra|
|Heavy Vehicles Factory, Chennai (HVF) – Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited||Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|Machine Tool Prototype Factory Ambernath (MPF) – Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited||Mumbai||Maharashtra|
|Metal and Steel Factory (MSF) – Yantra India Limited||Kolkata||West Bengal|
|Ordnance Clothing Factory Avadi (OCFAV) – Troop Comforts Limited||Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|Ordnance Factory Chandigarh (OCFC) – India Optel Limited||Chandigarh||Chandigarh|
|Ordnance Clothing Factory (OCFS) – Troop Comforts Limited||Shahjahanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Equipment Factory Kanpur (OEFC) – Troop Comforts Limited||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Equipment Factory Hazratpur (OEFHZ) – Troop Comforts Limited||Hazratpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Ambernath (OFA) – Yantra India Limited||Mumbai||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Ambajhari (OFAJ) – Yantra India Limited||Nagpur||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Bhandara (OFBA) – Munitions India Limited||Bhandara||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Bhusawal (OFBH) – Yantra India Limited||Bhusawal||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Bolangir (OFBOL) – Munitions India Limited||Bolangir||Odisha|
|Ordnance Factory Kanpur (OFC) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Chandrapur (OFCH) – Munitions India Limited||Chandrapur||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Dumdum (OFDC) – Yantra India Limited||Kolkata||West Bengal|
|Ordnance Factory Dehu Road (OFDR) – Munitions India Limited||Pune||Maharashtra|
|Ordnance Factory Dehradun (OFDUN) – India Optel Limited||Dehradun||Uttarakhand|
|Ordnance Factory Itarsi (OFI) – Munitions India Limited||Itarsi||Madhya Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Khamaria (OFK) – Munitions India Limited||Jabalpur||Madhya Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Katni (OFKAT) – Yantra India Limited||Katni||Madhya Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Muradnagar (OFM) – Yantra India Limited||Muradnagar||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Project (OFN) – Munitions India Limited||Nalanda||Bihar|
|Ordnance Factory Project Korwa (OFPKR) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Korwa||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ordnance Factory Project Medak (OFPM) – Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited||Hyderabad||Telangana|
|Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Tiruchirappalli||Tamil Nadu|
|Ordnance Factory Varangaon (OFV) – Munitions India Limited||Varangaon||Maharashtra|
|Opto Electronics Factory (OLF) – India Optel Limited||Dehradun||Uttarakhand|
|Ordnance Parachute Factory (OPF) – Gliders India Limited||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Kolkata||West Bengal|
|Small Arms Factory (SAF) – Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|Vehicle Factory Jabalpur (VFJ) – Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited||Jabalpur||Madhya Pradesh|
Customers of Indian Ordnance Factories
The primary customers of the products manufactured in Indian Ordnance Factories are as follows.
- Armed Forces of India – Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force, Central Armed Police Forces, State Armed Police Forces, Paramilitary Forces of India and the Special Forces of India.
- Civil Departments – Indian Railways, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre, Nuclear Fuel Complex, Aeronautical Development Agency, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Telecommunications, and State Electricity Boards.
- Exports – More than 30 countries in Asia, Europe, Middle-East, Africa, North and South America.