Nirjala Ekadashi 2023, also known as Bhima Ekadashi, Pandava Ekadashi, Bhimaseni Ekadashi, will be observed on 31st May 2023.
Nirjala Ekadashi is an auspicious day celebrated on the 11th moon day or Ekadashi in the month of Jyestha as per the Hindu Culture. As per the Gregorian Calendar, the month of Jyestha falls in May/ June. The word Nirjala is made of two terms i.e Nir and Jala which mean waterless. Out of all 24 Ekadashi in the Hindu calendar, this one is the most sacred. Although keeping waterless fast on this Ekadashi is very tough it is considered very rewarding for the devotees.
This post is just for you if you are wondering when Nirjala Ekadashi in 2023 is and what are its significances? Here, we will provide you all the necessary details related to the Nirjala Ekadashi 2023 in the most easy to understand manner.
Nirjala Ekadashi 2023 Overview
|Name of Ekadashi||Nirjala Ekadashi 2023|
|Also known as
||Bhima Ekadashi, Pandava Ekadashi, Bhimaseni Ekadashi|
|Nirjala Ekadashi Date 2023
||31st May 2023|
Nirjala Ekadashi 2023 Date and Time
A lot of devotees observe a waterless fast for 24 hours on Nirjala Ekadashi. If you are also one such devotee then you should note the date and time of Nirjala Ekadashi. Please note that Nirjala Ekadashi is celebrated on the 11th moon day of the Shukla Paksha in the month of Jyestha. Let’s check the date and time of Nirjala Ekadashi in 2023.
- Festival Name: Nirjala Ekadashi Puja
- Date: 31st May 2023
- Day: Wednesday
- Ekadashi Beginning Time: 1:07 PM on 30th May 2023
- Ekadashi End Time: 1:45 PM on 31st May 2023
To get the result and rewards of Nirjala Ekadashi Fast, Devotees should keep at the fast strictly as per the Ekadashi date and time.
History and Story behind Nirjala Ekadashi
Nirjala Ekadashi is also known by many other names such as Pandava Nirjala Ekadashi or Pandava Bhima Ekadashi. There is a very interesting story behind this. The name Pandava Bhima Ekadashi is derived from Bhima. He was the second and strongest of five Pandava Brothers. He was very fond of food. However, he wants to observe the vrat of all Ekadashi. But, he was not able to control his hunger. ‘
One day, Bhima decided to approach the sage Vyasa in order to get rid of his problem. The Sage Vyasa was the author of Mahabharata and grandfather of Pandavas. The sage Vyasa then suggested Bhima a solution. He advised him to observe a fast on Ekadashi for one day in a year. However, this one should be an absolute fast which means he should not consume even water. By doing so, Bhima attained the virtue of all 24 Ekadashi.
Rituals on Nirjala Ekadashi
Details about the rituals performed on the Nirjala Ekadashi are given below.
- The practices of this Ekadashi are quite different from the others. On this day, an absolute fast is observed in which devotees don’t consume even water.
- This Ekadashi falls in the hot Indian summer. So, it is considered very difficult to observe this fast.
- The duration of this fast is around 24 hours. It starts from Sunrise on Nirjala Ekadashi to sunrise on the next day.
- The preparation of Nirjala Ekadashi starts one day prior to the Ekadashi i.e. on dashmi. The devotees perform the evening prayer and take one meal that too without rice. You should note that rice is prohibited in this meal.
- Similar to the other Ekadashi, prayers are offered to the Lord Vishnu for whom Ekadahis are sacred.
- Devotees are allowed to single tiny drop of water as part of the Achamana ritual. Consuming more water than that can break the vow.
- A lot of devotees also donate food grains, clothes, umbrellas, pitchers filled with water, hand-fans, god, etc. on the occasion of the Nirjala Ekadashi.
- Mentions of Nirjala Ekadashi are also available in Markandeya Purana and Vishnu Purana. It is said that those who observe fast on this day get the blessing from the Lord Vishnu.
Frequently Asked Questions
The date of Nirjala ekadashi 2023 is 31st May 2023.
It will start at 1:07 PM on 30th May 2023
Nirjala ekadashi tithi ends at 1:45 PM on 31st May 2023.
2 thoughts on “Nirjala Ekadashi 2023 (Bhimaseni Ekadashi): Tithi, Date & Time, History, Rituals, Story”
Today when we are break ekadashi..?
Plesse answer me..!