The 79th Venice International Film Festival 2022 is all set to hit the stage on 31 August 2022 and will be concluded on 10 September 2022. The FIAPF (International Federation of Film Producers Association) organizes the festival. This article provides you Venice Film Festival 2022 winners list once it is announced by the concerned official. Meanwhile, you can check 78th Venice International Film Festival winners list and highlights of the festival which was concluded on Saturday, 11th September 2021.
It was the 78th edition of this prestigious film festival. The festival was even more special because director Bong Joon-ho was appointed as the President of the Jury. It was the first time a South Korean director was the Lido’s top juror. Italian actress, singer, and TV personality Serena Rossi hosted both opening and closing nights of the event.
21 films from around the globe competed in the 78th International Venice Film Festival to get the top prize. Go through this post to know which film won the Golden Lion and list of other prestigious award winners in the Venice Film Festival 2021.
Venice Film Festival Jury 2021
As mentioned above in this post, Last year’s jury was very special. It was headed by Bong Joon-ho who is a South Korean director and screenwriter. Let’s take a look at all jury members.
Jury For the Main Competition (Venezia 78)
- Bong Joon-ho (President of the Jury) – Director and Screenwriter from South Korea
- Virginie Efira actress from Belgium
- Saverio Costanzo director and screenwriter from Italy
- Cynthia Erivo Singer and Actor from England
- Sarah Gadon Actress from Canada
- Chloé Zhao Director and Screenwriter from China
- Alexander Nanau Documentary Director from Germany.
Jury for Horizons
- Jasmila Zbanic (President of the Jury)
- Shahram Mokri – Director from Iran
- Josh Siegel – Director of the cinema department of MoMA (Museum of modern arts)
- Mona Fastvold – Director from Norway
- Nadia Terranova – Novelist from Italy
Special Jury for Luigi De Laurentiis Award for a Debut Film
- Uberto Pasolini (President of the Jury) – Director and Producer from Italy
- Martin Schweighofer – Film Critic from Austria
- Amalia Ulman – Visual Artic from Argentina
Venice Film Festival Award Winners List 2022 (To be announced)
The list of awards Winners at Venice Film Festival 2021 is given below.
Main Competition Award winners
- Golden Lion Award Winner – Happening by Audrey Diwan – It is a French drama film based on a novel of the same name. The plot of this film is about a young student who gets pregnant and how she faces the struggle as her social life starts to fade.
- Grand Jury Prize – The Hand of God by Paolo Sorrentino – It is an Italian drama film starring Filippo Scotti. This movie is based on a personal story inspired by Sorrentino’s youth.
- Silver Lion Award – The Power of the Dog by Jane Campion – This drama film is made by the cooperation of teams from the UK, Australia, US, Canada, and New Zealand. The story is about Phil Burbank (main character of the film) who torments his brother’s new wife and her son.
- Volpi Cup for Best Actor – John Arcilla for On the Job: The Missing 8 – Filipino actor John Arcila won the Volpi Cup for the Best Actor. He got this award for his performance as Sisoy Salas in a Philippine crime thriller film On the Job: The Missing 8 directed by Erik Matti and written by Michiko Yamamoto.
- Volpi Cup for Best Actress – Penélope Cruz for Parallel Mothers – Spanish Actress Penelope Cruz won the Volpi Cup for Best Actress. She got the award for portraying the role of “Janis” in a Spanish drama film Parallel Mothers directed by Pedro Almodóvar.
- Golden Osella for Best Screenplay – Maggie Gyllenhaal for The Lost Daughter – Maggie Gyllenhaal for Golden Osella Award for the best screenplay in the lost daughter. She is an American actress and producer. The lost daughter is a psychological drama about a woman who is obsessed with another woman and her daughter, prompting memories of her own early motherhood.
- Marcello Mastroianni Award – Filippo Scotti for The Hand of God
- Special Jury Prize: Il Buco by Michelangelo Frammartino
Venice Film Festival Horizon Award Winners 2021
- Best Actress – Laure Calamy for “Full Time”
- Best Actor: Piseth Chhun for “White Building”
- Special Jury Prize – El Gran Movimiento by “Kiro Russo”
- Best Director – Eric Gravel for “Full Time”
- Best Film – “Pilgrims” by Laurynas Bareisa.
- Armany Beauty Audience Award – “The Blind Man Who Did Not Want to See Titanic” director by Teemu Nikki
- Best Short Film – “The Bones” directed by Cristóbal León and Joaquín Cociña
- Best Screenplay – Peter Kerekes for “107 Mothers”.
- Lion of the Future Awards for a debut film – Imaculat by George Chiper-Lillemark and Monica Stan
Special Award at Venice Festival
- Roberto Benigni and Jamie Lee Curtis both received Golden Lion Awards for Lifetime Achievement.
Films Nominated for Venice Festival 2022 (To be announced)
The following films were nominated for main awards at Venice Festival 2021
|Name of the film||Director||Country|
|America Latina||Damiano D’Innocenzo and Fabio D’Innocenzo||Italy|
|Another World (Un autre monde)||Stéphane Brizé||France|
|The Box (La caja)||Lorenzo Vigas||Mexico, United States|
|Captain Volkonogov Escaped (Капитан Волконогов бежал)||Aleksey Chupov and Natalya Merkulova||Russia|
|The Card Counter||Paul Schrader||United States|
|Freaks Out||Gabriele Mainetti||Italy, Belgium|
|The Hand of God (È stata la mano di Dio)||Paolo Sorrentino||Italy|
|Happening (L’événement)||Audrey Diwan||France|
|Il buco||Michelangelo Frammartino||Italy, France, Germany|
|Leave No Traces ((Żeby nie było śladów))||Jan P. Matuszyński||Poland, France, Germany|
|The Lost Daughter||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Greece, United States|
|Lost Illusions (Illusions perdues)||Xavier Giannoli||France|
|Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon||Ana Lily Amirpour||United States|
|Official Competition (Competencia oficial)||Gastón Duprat and Mariano Cohn||Spain|
|On the Job: The Missing 8||Erik Matti||Philippines|
|Parallel Mothers (Madres paralelas) (opening film)||Pedro Almodovar||Spain|
|The Power of the Dog||Jane Campion||United Kingdom, Australia, United States, Canada, New Zealand|
|The King of Laughter (Qui rido io)||Mario Martone||Italy, Spain|
|Reflection (Відблиск)||Valentyn Vasyanovych||Ukrain|
|Spencer||Pablo Larraín||United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Chile|
|Sundown||Michel Franco||Mexico, France, Sweden|
Venice Film Festival 2021 Indian Films
- Only one Indian film (also produced in France and Norway) was nominated for Venice Film Festival 2021 (Vertical Section).
- The name of the Indian Film nominated for Venice Film Festival 2021 is “Once Upon a Time in Calcutta” (previously titled Memories and My Mother).
- The director of this film is Aditya Vikram Sengupta. He has already directed Bengali movies like Asha Jaoar Majhe and Jonaki
- Unfortunately, the film is not able to get any awards at the festival.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: Which film won the Golden Lion Award at Venice Film Festival 2021?
Answer: French film “Happening” won the Golden Lion Award. Directed by Audrey Diwan, the film is based on the life of a 23 year old student who wants to get an abortion in 1960s France.
Question – 2: Who won the Venice Film Festival Best Actress Award 2021?
Answer: Penelope Cruz won the award for the best actress for her work in Pedro Almodovar’s ‘Parallel Mothers”. She played the role of a single mother in the film.
Question – 3: Who won the best actor award at Venice Film Festival 2021?
Answer: Philippine actor John Arcilla won the award for the best actor for his work ‘On the Job: The Missing 8’. He portrayed the role of a radio host in the film who rethinks his support to the government after a series of assassinations takes place.
Question – 4: Was there any Indian film at Venice Film Festival 2021?
Answer: Yes, Aditya Vikram Sengupta’s Once upon a time in Calcutta was nominated for the award at Venice Film Festival. However, the film can’t get any awards.
Question – 5: Who won the award for the best director at Venice Film Festival 2021?
Answer: Jane Campion grabs the prize of the best director. He got this prize for his film “The power of the dog”. It is a movie about two brothers who feud after one brings a new wife along with her son.