Every year, World Theatre Day is observed on March 27 by ITI centres and the international theatre community worldwide. To promote awareness of the significance of theatrical arts, how they have played an essential part in the area of fun, and the improvements that theater may bring about in people’s lives, it is observed on this day.
Although since time of the ancient Greeks, drama has been among the greatest widely used types of pleasure. When performing in front of an audience, live musicians, performers, or artists tell the story of a real-life event in a particular location or on stage, it is known as an amalgamation of different kinds of fine arts. The significance of theatrical arts is highlighted on this day, as well as how they have served an essential part in the area of entertainment and the improvements that theatre has brought about in people’s lives.
World Theatre Day 2024 Date
|World Theatre Day
|International Theatre Institute (ITI)
|March 27, 2024
|It was “Theatre and a Culture of Peace” last year.
About World Malaria Day
World Theatre Day History
The International Theatre Institute (ITI) first celebrated World Theatre Day in 1961 and has been observing it ever since. This day is commemorated by staging theatrical productions at venues throughout the country and across the world. The distribution of a global message on World Theatre Day is among the most anticipated events. A person of international renown discusses his or her thoughts about the theatre.
It was Director Arvi Kivimaa of the Finnish Branch of the World Theatre Academy who first suggested the establishment of a World Theatre Day during the ITI’s 9th World Congress in Helsinki in June 1961, and again in Vienna in June 1962. The Scandinavian centers’ support for the idea ensured that it passed with flying colors.
World Theatre Day 2024 Celebration
Among the many methods to commemorate the day are:
- Bring a buddy to a play and enjoy yourself.
- Provide backroom visits of your theatre to members of the public.
- Collaborate with other theatres to provide free tickets to patrons.
- After a performance, host a celebration in honour of World Theatre Day.
- Organize a group of people to create and perform a drama in 24 or 48 hours.
- Pay homage to a writer who has inspired you.
- Arrange a festival of theatre performances.
- Describe why you like theatre through writing, videotaping, recording, or blogging.
- Make a public announcement about World Theatre Day on Instagram.
About world’s richest actors
World Theatre Day Objectives
The following are also some of the objectives of World Theatre Day:
- To draw attention to the significance of various art forms across the globe.
- To raise awareness of the significance and value of art forms among the general public.
- To provide opportunities for the dance and theatrical groups to showcase their work on a national level. To raise awareness among thought leaders about the importance of these methods and to encourage people to embrace them.
- To take pleasure in the form of art for one’s own reason
World Theatre Day 2024 Quotes
- “The word theatre comes from the Greeks. It means the seeing place. It is the place people come to see the truth about life and the social situation. The theatre is a spiritual and social X-ray of its time. The theatre was created to tell people the truth about life and the social situation.” (Stella Adler)
- “I believe that in a great city, or even in a small city or a village, a great theatre is the outward and visible sign of an inward and probable culture.” (Laurence Olivier)
- “Acting is a sport. On stage you must be ready to move like a tennis player on his toes. Your concentration must be keen, your reflexes sharp; your body and mind are in top gear, the chase is on. Acting is energy. In the theatre, people pay to see energy.” (Clive Swift)
- “I definitely think that theatre is something I’ll keep coming back to in my career for as long as I can. I also think theatre’s something you have to be very fit to do. I am fairly fit, but I don’t think I could do it all the time.” (Daniel Radcliffe)
- “I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” (Oscar Wilde)
As a wake-up message for administrations, lawmakers and organizations that have not yet acknowledged the worth and significance of the form of art of “theatre,” this day is a joy for all those who witness it. It also serves as a wake-up message for those that haven’t yet seen its contribution to economic development.
Frequently Asked Questions
We observe world theatre day on March 27 every year.
Last year, the theme of world theatre day was “Theatre and a Culture of Peace”.
The day was initiated by International Theatre Institute (ITI) in 1962.