Yamunotri is a sacred place in the Hindu religion. The river Yamuna originates from here. Yamuna is the 2nd holiest river in Hinduism after Ganga. This is the reason why a large number of pilgrims visit Yamunotri every year. Yamunotri Yatra 2023 is going to be ideal for you if you are looking for peace of mind and blessings from Goddess Yamuna. Go through this post if you want to know more about Yamunotri Yatra 2023. Here, we will provide you complete information about Yamunori Travel 2023 including opening dates, closing dates, weather, tourist attraction, etc.
Yamunotri Yatra 2023 Highlights
|Destination Famous For||Pilgrim, Trekking|
|Season||April to October|
|Temperature in Summer||6o C to 20o C|
|Temperature in Winter||7o C to -5o C|
Significance of Yamunotri Shrine and Yamunotri Yatra
- Yamunotri Dham was established in the 18th century by Adi Shankaracharya.
- The temple was built by Maharaja Pratap Shah of Tehri Garhwal. However, the temple was destroyed by an earthquake. Maharani Guleria who was the wife of Pratap shah rebuilt the present Yamnotri temple in the late 19th
- Talking about mythology, it is believed that sage Asit Muni had his hermitage here. Throughout his life, he takes bath daily in the water of both the Ganga and Yamuna. But, as he becomes old, a stream of the Ganges appeared next to Yamunotri for him.
- The daughter of Surya (Sun God) i.e. Yamuna takes birth in Champasar Glacier (4, 421 meters) just below the Banderpoonch Mountain.
Check: Kedarnath Yatra date
Weather at Yamunotri
- The average maximum temperature of Yamunotri is around 15 to 20 degrees celsius.
- At the same time, the average minimum temperature goes below the zero degrees mark.
- If you are planning to travel then make sure you carry warm and woolen clothes almost all around the year.
Places to visit during Yamunotri Yatra
The popular tourist destinations in Yamunotri are as follows.
- Yamunotri Temple – This is a very beautiful temple dedicated to Goddess Yamuna. The location of this temple is in western Garhwal Himalayas at an elevation of 3291 meters. This temple is one of the Chota Char Dham pilgrimage sites. The interior of this temple includes Garba Griha (Sanctum Sanatorium) and Mandap (assembly hall).
- Saptarishi Kund – This kund is often regarded as the origin of the River Yamuna. At the height of 4421 meters, Spatrarishi Kund seems really very beautiful. Before you visit, we recommend you familiarize yourself with the climatic conditions.
- Surya Kund – In the vicinity of the Yamunotri Temple, there are numbers of thermal springs which flow into numerous pools.
- HanumanChatti – It is around 13 km away from Yamunotri. This point is the junction of the Hanuman Ganga and Yamuna rivers.
- Divya Shila – Divya Shila is a powerful rock pillar that is located near the Surya Kund at Yamunotri. This Shila gives an ethereal feeling to the devotees. Devotees worship here before entering Yamunotri.
- Kharsali – Kharsali is an ideal place if you are looking for a lovely ambiance for pick-nick. The environment here is amazing due to the presence of Oak and conifers trees.
- Barkot – Barkot is an ancient temple located at a distance of around 49 kms from Yamunotri. This place is ideal for meditation.
Yamunotri Opening and Closing Dates 2023
- The Yamunotri Dham opens up for tourists on the day of Akshay Tritiya every year. Akshay Tritya 2023 is on 22nd of April.
- The Yamunotri Dham closed on Bhai Dooj. Bhai Dooj 2023 is on 14th of November.
Yamunotri Dham Yatra Route
Those who are wondering how to reach Yamunotri should check out the information given below. ‘
- By Air – The nearest airport from Yamunotri Dham is Dehradun
- By Train – By train, you can reach up to Rishikesh. After that, you may opt for a taxi or bus to Yamunotri. Apart from this, the services of shared jeeps and other vehicles are also available from Haridwar/ Rishikesh. The other railway stations in the area are Haridwar, Dehradun, Kotdwar, and Kathgodam.
- Road Route – The best route to visit Yamunotri by road is through Dehradun and Barkot. If you are coming from Haridwar – Rishikesh road then the road to Yamunotri diverts from the Dharasu bifurcation point. The city of Yamunotri with Haridwar, Dehradun, Chamba, Tehri, Barkot, Hanuman Chatti and Janki Chatti is very good.
- Rishikesh → Narendranagar (16 km) → Chamab (46 km) → Brahmkhal (15 km) → Barkot (40 km) → SayanaChatti (27 km) → HanumanChatti (6 km) → PhoolChatti (5 km) → JankiChatti (3 km) → Yamunotri (6 km)
Distance Chart of Yamunotri
The distance chart of Yamunotri from different locations is given below.
- From Dharasu to Yamunotri : 107 kms
- From Tehri to Yamunotri : 149 kms
- From Hanumanchatti to Yamunotri : 13 kms
- From Rishikesh to Yamunotri : 222 kms
- From Chandigarh to Yamunotri : 394 km
- From Delhi to Yamunotri : 419 km
- From Nagpur to Yamunotri : 1470 km
- From Mumbai to Yamunotri : 1795 km
- From Bangalore to Yamunotri : 2533 km
Frequently Asked questions
The Yamunotri temple darshan timing is 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM.
The registration for Yamunotri or Chardham yatra will take place at various counters free of cost. Apart from this, the facility is also available online. Please note that the registration at Haridwar, Rishikesh and Janki Chatti.
Yes, it is completely safe to visit Yamunotri. A large number of tourists visit this place for Pilgrims Yatra every season.
Yamunotri has a few small hotels for accommodation. Pilgrims can stay at good hotels available in Janki Chatti and Syan Chatti located a few kms away from the Yamunotri Dham.
Yes, Yamunotri is well connected by the road till Janaki Chatti. You can drive to Janaki Chatti on Car or bike. You may park your vehicle and start the trek of 5 kms to Yamunotri.
You should avoid visiting Yamunotri during monsoon season. The best months to visit Yamunotri are May, June, Sept, & October.
Here are some famous hotels near Yamunotri Temple.
Rigveda Resort, Barkot
Shikhar Nature Resort
Mountain Village Stay – Dharali Heights Harsil
Samaa Resorts – Chitkul Heights
Hotel Himalayan Inn
Hotel Shree Uttarkashi
Osiya Shambhu Lodge
Stayapart – Shruti Guest House