Spy and thriller movies are quite entertaining and joyful to watch. However, they are not considered suitable for kids due to their violent themes. Luckily, there are a few spy movies that you can enjoy with your kids as well. Kids adore these movies as they take them through the thrills and chills of being a spy or undercover agent. The good thing about these movies is that they don’t have any extremely violent scenes or content that is not suitable for children. Family-friendly spy movies for kids are generally combinations of adventure and comedy.
Ten Most Entertaining Spy Movies for Children
The Spy Kids Series
- Films: Spy kids (2001), Spy kids 2: The island of lost dreams (2002), Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (2003), Spy Kids: All in the time in the world (2011)
- Created by: Robert Rodriguez
- Owned by: Troublemaker studios
- Description and plot: Spy kids is a series of 4 movies created by the Troublemaker studios. This series is influenced by James bond films and directed by Robert Rodriguez. The story is about two kids Carmen and Juni who work as secret agents and use cool gadgets.
Sam Steele and the Junior Detective Agency
- Director: Anthony Joseph Giunta
- Cast: Sam Steele Jr., Darren Kennedy, Luke Perry, M. Emmet Walsh, Katherine McNamara
- Runtime: 1 hour and 27 minutes
- Description and plot: The plot is about a 13 years old kid Sam Steele Jr. who wants to become a detective just like his father. So, during summer vacation, he decides to turn his clubhouse into his Junior Detective Agency.
Agent Cody Banks
- Year of release: 2003
- Director: HaraldZwart
- Producers: David C. Glasser, Andreas Klein, Dylan Sellers, Guy Oseary, David Nicksay
- Cast: Frankie Muniz, Hilary Duff, Angie Harmon, Keith David, Cynthia Stevenson, Arnold Vosloo, Ian McShane
- Description and plot: This story is about 15 years old high school junior kid Cody banks who was bullied repeatedly at the school. One day, he decided to apply for the post of junior field operation at the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). The movie was released in August 2003. The blue-ray version was released on May 2016.
Harriet the spy
- Year of release: 1996
- Director: Bronwen Hughes
- Producer: Marykay Powell, Nava Levin
- Cast: Michelle Trachtenberg, Rosie O’Donnell
- Running time: 102 minutes
- Description and plot: Directed by Bronwen Hughes, the plot of “Harriet the spy” is about Harriet M. Welsch who is an 11 year old child studying asa sixth-grader in New York. She wanted to become a writer and spy. Her life takes a lot of unexpected twists and turns.
- Director: Kyle Newman
- Producer: John Cheng, Sukee Chew, Vanessa Coifman, Ted Hartley, Brett Ratner
- Running Time: 98 minutes
- Cast: Hailee Steinfeld, Sophie Turner, Jessica Alba, Samuel L. Jackson, etc.
- Description and plot: Barely Lethal is a comedy action movie that revolves around young female orphans at Prescott Academy that are trained to field operatives. All officers of this academy have to follow one strict rule that is “No Attachments”.
- Year of release: 1962
- Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
- Production Company: Mosfilm
- Running time: 94 minutes
- Cast: Nikolai Burlyayev, Valentin Zubkov, EvgenyZharikov, StepanKrylov, Nikolai Grinko
- Description and plot: The plot of this movie sets around the time of World War 2 when the Soviet army is fighting the invading German Wehrmacht. A twelve-year-old boy Ivan Bondarev whose mother and sister were killed by Germans decided to join a unit of the Russian army and take revenge.
Catch the Kid
- Year of release: 2004
- Director: Bart Freundlich
- Producers: Andrew Lazar, Uwe Schott
- Running time: 92 minutes
- Cast: Kristen Stewart, Corbin Bleu, Max Thieriot, Jennifer Beals, Sam Robards, John Carroll Lynch, James Le Gros
- Description and plot: This is a story about a very skilled young girl who loves climbing enlist. However, her parents restrict her from doing so because they are afraid that she will catch an accident. One day she decided to rob a high tech bank to pay for the surgery of her injured father.
- Year of release: 2008
- Director: Mark Blutman
- Producers: Robert Abramoff & Bill Lykins
- Running time: 83 minutes
- Cast: Forrest Landis, AnnaSophia Robb, Taylor Momsen, Rider Strong
- Description and plot:The plot of the spy school revolves around 12 year’s old notorious boy Thomas Millar. One day while running away from detention he meets an FBI agent named Randal. Thomas with other fellow FBI officers solves a kidnapping mystery.
Kingsman: The secret service
- Releasing Year: 1997
- Director: Matthew Vaughn
- Producer: Matthew Vaughn, David Reid, Adam Bohling
- Cast: Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Strong, Taron Egerton, Michael Caine
- Description and plot: “Kingsman” is a story about a teenager named Gary “Eggsy”. He joins a secret service agency unwillingly. Clearing all the training sessions, Gary went on to become an elite secret service agent.
- Releasing Year: 2006
- Director: Geoffrey Sax
- Producer: Marc Samuelson, Peter Samuelson, and Steve Christian
- Cast: Sarah Bolger, Robbie Coltrane, Stephen Fry, Damian Lewis, Ewan McGregor, Bill Nighy, Sophie Okonedo, Alex Pettyfer, Missi Pyle, Andy Serkis, Alicia Silverstone, Ashley Walters, Mickey Rourke
- Description and plot: 14 years old schoolboy Alex Rider was devastated by the death of his uncle. However, he came to know that his uncle was actually a spy. Alex then joins his uncle’s former employers. His life then takes many unexpected twists and turns.