As per the national & festival holidays act, there are three compulsory holidays in India i.e. Republic day in January, Independence day in August, and Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti in the month of October. The rest of the holidays depend upon the state or Union Territory in which you are living. As we all know every state in India has its own tradition and culture. That’s why the necessity of public holidays is also different in various states. The public holidays in Delhi are applicable to banks, schools, and all government establishments in the Union Territory.
It’s a good thing to know about the various government holidays in advance so that you can plan accordingly. If you are living in Delhi then you may check out the list of Delhi Public Holiday 2024 from this post.
List of Delhi Government Holidays 2024
Knowing and noting down the list of Gazetted holidays 2024 in Delhi Government is important because it helps you in planning your leaves accordingly. Here is the list of the public holidays in Delhi in the year 2024.
- 26th January 2024 – Friday – Republic Day
- 8th March 2024 – Friday – Maha Shivaratri
- 25th March 2024 – Monday – Holi
- 29th March 2024 – Friday – Good Friday
- 10th April 2024 – Wednesday – Id-ul-Fitr
- 21st April 2024 – Sunday – Mahavir Jayanti
- 23rd May 2024 – Thursday – Buddha Purnima
- 16th June 2024 – Sunday – Bakrid/ Eid al Adha
- 17th July 2024 – Wednesday – Muharram
- 15th August 2024 – Thursday – Independence Day
- 26th August 2024 – Monday – Janmashtami
- 15th September 2024 – Sunday – Eid e Milad
- 2nd October 2024 – Wednesday – Gandhi Jayanti
- 12th October 2024 – Saturday – Vijaya Dashami
- 1st November 2024 – Friday – Diwali
- 15th November 2024 – Friday – Guru Nanak Jayanti
- 25th December 2024 – Wednesday – Christmas Day
It is very important for you to understand that Delhi gazetted holidays 2024 are followed by all public organizations in Delhi such as schools, government hospitals, Delhi. Govt. hospitals, etc. Apart from this, GAD Delhi holiday list 2024 is also followed by most of the private organizations as well such as private schools, hospitals, pvt. companies, etc.
Points to be noted about Delhi Govt. Holidays 2024
- 1st April 2024 – 1st day of April is a bank holiday but not included in the list of Delhi Government public holiday list 2024. This date is known for the closing of Accounts for Commercial & Co-operative Banks. All banks will remain close on this date but the rest of the institutions will work normally.
- Republic Day, Independence Day, and Gandhi Jayanti – 26th January (Republic Day), 15th August (Independence Day), and 2nd October (Gandhi Jayanti) are the three dates registered under the national & festival holidays act. So, it is mandatory for every organization to remain closed on this date. These dates are included in Delhi government public holiday calendar 2024, the national holiday list, and bank holiday lists.
- Restricted holidays: Some pvt. organizations/ institutes may remain closed on dates restricted holidays as well. Restricted holidays include – New Year’s day, Lohri, Makar Sankrant, Guru Gobin Singh’s Birthday, Basant Panchami, Ravi das Jayanti, Holika Dahan, Vaisakhadi, Jamat-Ul-Vida, Janmasthami, Dussehra, Goverdhan Puja, Bhai Duj, Maharishi Valmiki’s Jayanti, Raksha Bandhan, etc. It is not compulsory for any organization to stay closed on these dates because they are not included in the Delhi govt. list of holidays 2024.
You should note that the Delhi government (lt. governor of Delhi) release the official notification regarding public holidays every year. This notification for the year 2024 is not yet released by the government. So, we advise you to bookmark this page and check it from time to time to see if there is any update or not.