The International Day for Biological Diversity is observed every year on May 22 and aims to attract the attention of people all over the world on issues pertaining to biodiversity. The day marks the adoption of the day was first celebrated as the day on which Convention on Biological Diversity went into effect but was changed later on to celebrate the adoption of the Convention.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023 Upcoming Events
Below mentioned are the upcoming dates for International Day for Biological Diversity for the next 5 years.
|International Day for Biological Diversity 2023||May 22, 2023||Monday|
|International Day for Biological Diversity 2024||May 22, 2024||Wednesday|
|International Day for Biological Diversity 2025||May 22, 2025||Thursday|
|International Day for Biological Diversity 2026||May 22, 2026||Friday|
|International Day for Biological Diversity 2027||May 22, 2027||Saturday|
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023
|Event||International Day for Biological Diversity 2023|
|Date||May 22, 2023|
|Declared by||United Nations|
|Purpose||Focus on the issues related to biodiversity|
|Other names||International Day for Biological Diversity, World Biodiversity Day|
Significance of International Day for Biological Diversity
Biodiversity has a broad area of concerns that include land degradation and drought, climate change, sustainable agriculture, food security, desertification, water and sanitation, urban resilience and adaptation, sustainable transport, disaster risk reduction, vulnerable groups, indigenous peoples, and much more. To draw worldwide attention toward these important topics, it was decided to dedicate a day to biodiversity and hence International Day for Biological Diversity came into effect.
International Day for Biological Diversity History
The United Nations has proclaimed May 22 to be celebrated as International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. A proposal was issued by the Second Committee of the United Nations General Assembly in late 1993 to adopt 29 December as Biodiversity Day as it was the day when Convention of Biological Diversity came into effect.
In December 2000, the UN General Assembly later decided to observe 22 May as International Day for Biological Diversity, to commemorate the adoption of the text of the Convention.
How to celebrate International Day for Biological Diversity 2023?
It is not enough to celebrate our biodiversity on just one single day but efforts need to be made every day towards its preservation and sustenance. However, everything starts from one single initiative so on International Day for Biological Diversity 2023, you can start by doing something to conserve and sustainably use biodiversity. Reduce food wastage and use reusable bags to carry food. Do not use single-use plastics or take-out containers. You can reduce your meat consumption and try eating more seasonal foods.
Inspirational International Day for Biological Diversity 2023 Quotes
Here are some famous and inspiring quotes for you to share on International Day for Biological Diversity 2023.
- “We should preserve every scrap of biodiversity as priceless while we learn to use it and come to understand what it means to humanity.” – EO Wilson
- “If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us.” -David Suzuki
- “Humans have changed ecosystems more rapidly and extensively than in any comparable period of time in human history, largely to meet rapidly growing demands for food, fresh water, timber, fiber and fuel. This has resulted in a substantial and largely irreversible loss in the diversity of life on Earth.” – Gary Larson
- “I can’t imagine anything more important than air, water, soil, energy and biodiversity. These are the things that keep us alive.” – David Suzuki
- “Climate change, if unchecked, is an urgent threat to health, food supplies, biodiversity, and livelihoods across the globe.” – John F Kerry
- “Yet, despite our many advances, our environment is still threatened by a range of problems, including global climate change, energy dependence on unsustainable fossil fuels, and loss of biodiversity” – Dan Lipinski
- “Biodiversity can’t be maintained by protecting a few species in a zoo, or by preserving greenbelts or national parks. To function properly, nature needs more room than that. It can maintain itself, however, without human expense, without zookeepers, park rangers, foresters or gene banks. All it needs is to be left alone.” – Donella Meadows
Question 1: When was the Diversity Day celebrated earlier?
Answer: Since 1993 to 2000, International Day for Biological Diversity was held on December 29 to commemorate the day when Convention on Biological Diversity went into effect. On December 20, 2000, the date was shifted to May 22 to commemorate the adoption of the Convention on the same day in the year 1992, at the Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit.
Question 2: Is there any theme for Diversity Day celebration 2023?
Answer: The theme for World Biodiversity Day 2022 was “Building a shared future for all life”. For International Day for Biological Diversity 2023, theme has not been decided yet but will surely be decided and announced later on.
Question 3: When was United Nations Decade on Biodiversity observed?
Answer: On December 22, 2010, the UN declared that the decade 2011–20 will be observed as United Nations Decade on Biodiversity with the aim of reducing biodiversity loss.