- UP board has released the Class 9 syllabus PDF for the academic year 2023-24. The English paper will comprise of a total of 70 marks and rest 30 marks will be for internal assessment. The paper will be divided into 4 different sections namely reading, writing, grammar and literature. It is important that the students keep the revised syllabus in mind during preparation of the exam. Check out the detailed UP Board Class 9 English Syllabus 2023-24 in this article.
Class 9 English Syllabus for UP Board
The rest topics included in the syllabus have been provided below and the students need to stick to this part only for exam preparation. Questions in their exam will only be asked from the given topics.
Section A – Reading (10 Marks)
- One short passage followed by three MCQs.
- One passage followed by three very short answer type questions. 3×2=6
One vocabulary based question.
Section B – Writing (10 Marks)
- Letter (formal/informal)/Application
- Descriptive paragraph/Report/ Article (based on given verbal/figurative input)in about 80-100 words.
Section C – Grammar (15 Marks)
Five MCQs based on parts of speech, tenses, articles, reordering of sentences, spellings.
Three very short answer type questions based on narration, voice, punctuation.
Translation of a short passage from Hindi to English.
Literature (35 Marks)
Beehive – Text Book
Prose (15 marks)
8. Two MCQs based on the given extract. 2×1=2
9. Three MCQs based on lessons. 3×1=3
10.Two short answer type questions in about 30-40 words each. 2×3=6
11.One long answer type question in about 60 words. 4
Poetry (8 marks)
12.Two MCQs based on the given extract. 2×1=2
13. One short answer type question based on poetry lessons in about 30-40
words . or Four lines from any poem prescribed in the syllabus
14. Central idea of the given poem.
Moments – Supplementary Reader (12 marks)
15. Five MCQs based on prescribed lessons. 5×1=5
16. One short answer type question in about 30-40 words. 3
17. One long answer type question in about 60 words. 4
Prescribed books and Lessons
Beehive (Text Book)
1. The Fun They Had – Isaac Asimov
2. The Sound of Music – I. EvelynGlennie – Deborah Cowley
II. Bismillah Khan
3. The Little Girl – Katherine Mansfield
4. A Truly Beautiful Mind
5. The Snake and the Mirror – Vaikom Muhammad Basheer
6. My Childhood – A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
7. Reach for the Top (I) Santosh Yadav (II) Maria Sharapova
8. Kathmandu – Vikram Seth
9. If I were you – Douglas James
1. The Road Not Taken – Robert Frost
2. Wind – Subramania Bharati
3. Rain on the Roof – Coates Kinney
4. The Lake Isle of Innisfree – William Butler Yeats
5. A Legend of the Northland – Phoebe Cary
6. No Men Are Foreign – James Kirkup
7. On Killing a Tree – Gieve Patel
8. A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal – William Wordsworth
Moments (Supplementary Reader) –
1. The Lost Child – Mulk Raj Anand
2. The Adventures of Toto – Ruskin Bond
3. Iswaran the Storyteller – R.K. Laxman
4. In the Kingdom of Fools – A.K. Ramanujan
5. The Happy Prince – Oscar Wilde
6. A House is not a Home – Zen Gaudioso
7. The Last Leaf – O Henry
8. The Beggar – Anton Chekhov
Words & Expression [Eng. Work book]
The internal assessment should be conducted as follows:-
1.First Internal Assessment (Oral Expression Based) August 10 Marks
2.Second Internal Assessment(Creative Writing Based) December 10 Marks
Four Monthly Tests- 10 Marks
1. First Monthly Test (MCQs Based) – May
2. Second Monthly Test (Descriptive Questions Based) – July
3. Third Monthly Test (MCQs Based) – November
4. Fourth Monthly Test (Descriptive Questions Based) – December
The Sum of the marks obtained in all the four monthly Tests should be converted into 10 Marks.
3 thoughts on “UP Board Class 9 English Syllabus 2023-24”
Mohit sir please adhavarashik pariksha english class 9th ka paper dikhaiye KPS-I ka up board ncert 2022-2023 please sir
I need to question and answer