The World Food Safety Day (WFSD) is celebrated every year on June 7th with the objective to draw attention of people worldwide towards importance of healthy food. The day also focuses on preventing, detecting and managing food-borne risks. At a much larger scale, the day also emphases on food safety, human health, agriculture, market access, economic prosperity, tourism and sustainable development.
World Food Safety Day 2023 Upcoming Events
Below mentioned are the upcoming dates for World Food Safety Day for the next 5 years.
|World Food Safety Day 2023||June 07, 2023||Wednesday|
|World Food Safety Day 2024||June 07, 2024||Friday|
|World Food Safety Day 2025||June 07, 2025||Saturday|
|World Food Safety Day 2026||June 07, 2026||Sunday|
|World Food Safety Day 2027||June 07, 2027||Monday|
World Food Safety Day 2023
|Event||World Food Safety Day 2023|
|Date||June 07, 2023|
|Declared by||United Nations & World Health Organization|
|Purpose||To draw attention towards importance of healthy food|
Significance of World Food Safety Day
Unsafe food is a threat to human health. More than 600 million cases of foodborne illnesses are found every year and around 420 000 people die due to consumption of contaminated food. Out of the total deaths, 125 000 are children and rest others are mostly women. The figure is quite threatening and it is important the something is done to prevent the situation from worsening.
With this objective, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) launched World Food Safety Day to ensure that people realize the importance of consuming safe food and the account of foodborne disease occurring on global scale decreases.
World Food Safety Day History
The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution on December 20, 2018 stating that June 7 will be observed globally as World Food Safety Day. The day was aimed to celebrate the innumerable benefits of safe food. The first World Food Safety Day was celebrated on June 7th 2019 and every year since then.
World Food Safety Day 2023 Theme
Every year, a theme is decided by the World Health Organization for celebrating the World Food Safety Day which is focused on the importance of clean food for good health. For the year 2022, the theme was ‘Safer food, better health’ that underlined the fact that safer food is the key to better human health. The theme highlighted the important role of safe and nutritional food in ensuring human health. No theme is decided for the year 2023 yet.
How to celebrate World Food Safety Day 2023?
Many webinars and other public events are organized to focus on the importance of consuming hygienic food. Festivals, fairs, concerts, food tastings, cooking demonstrations, etc. with food safety message is organized at many places. You can learn more about food safety or spread awareness about the same by running or participating in a competition or quiz based on food safety.
Quotes to Share on World Food Safety Day 2023
Here are some quotes in the importance of consuming clean and safe food that you can share with your friends.
- “Many countries have food safety systems from farm to table. Everybody involved in the food supply is required to follow standard food safety procedures. You would think that everyone involved with food would not want people to get sick from it.” – Marion Nestle
- “We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun.” – George Orwell
- “Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food.” – Hippocrates
- “The food that enters the mind must be watched as closely as the food that enters the body.” – Pat Buchanan
- “Get people back into the kitchen and combat the trend toward processed food and fast food”. – Andrew Orwell
- “Food safety involves everybody in the food chain”. – Mike Johanns
- “Our minds are like our stomachs; they are whetted by the change of their food and variety supplies both with a fresh appetite.” – Quintilian
- “We are going to do everything possible to make sure that food safety is always paramount, and that we work with the industry as aggressively as we can to make sure that we are paying attention to food safety issues.” – Mike Johanns
Question 1: When was the first World Food Safety Day celebrated?
Answer: The history of World Food Safety Day celebration is not very old and was first observed in the year 2019.
Question 2: What is the theme for World Food Safety Day 2023?
Answer: For the year 2023, no theme has been decided yet but will be announced some time later by the WHO.
Question 3: Who was behind the resolution to observe World Food Safety Day?
Answer: Two major agencies of the United Nations, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO) passed a resolution to promote food safety.