When is World Health Day 2023: Every year on April 7, World Health Day is observed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and other health related organizations all across the globe. The aim of World Health Day is to promote awareness among people towards the importance of good health. When first World Health Assembly was conducted in 1948, it was decided that 7 April of each year will be observed as World Health Day. The day was selected to commemorate the establishment of World Health Organization. Complete details related to World Health Day 2023 such as its significance, history, celebrations, etc are provided here in this article.
World Health Day 2023 Date
|Event||World Health Day 2023|
|Date||April 7, 2023|
|World Health Day Theme 2023||“Health for All”|
History of World Health Day
A proposal was put forward by Brazil and China for creation of an organization to tackle with heath related issues all over the world. The proposal presented in 1945 stated this body should be totally independent from any government powers and focuses equally on health related issues of whole world. In 1946, establishment of World Health Organization was approved in New York and the organization finally came into existence on April 7, 1948, with 61 countries signing the agreement for the inception of the NGO.
After coming into force, WHO declared World Health Day to be observed on July 22 but was later changed to April 7 to mark the establishment of the organization.
Significance of World Health Day
The main aim behind observing this special day is to create awareness among people about the value of good health. Not only physical, but taking care of mental and emotional health of a person is equally important and to draw people’s attention towards complete well-being, World Health Day is celebrated across the world. Creating awareness regarding the health issues in people of poor regions around the world is also a major goal behind celebration of World Health Day.
World Health Day is one of 11 official global health campaigns run by the World Health Organization, along with World Hepatitis Day, World Tuberculosis Day, World Chagas Disease Day, World Patient Safety Day, World Immunization Week, World No Tobacco Day, World AIDS Day, World Malaria Day, World Blood Donor Day and World Antimicrobial Awareness Week.
World Health Day Celebration
Many events, international, regional and local, are organized by WHO and other governments and non-governmental organizations for celebration of World Health Day. A particular theme is decided by the WHO for celebrating World Health Day and all events are centered around the theme. Apart from this, seminars, workshops, discussions, debate competition are conducted in schools and colleges to make the young generation aware of the value of good health at an early age.
Outdoor activities like running, cycling, hiking, etc are organized and people are encouraged to practice them in daily life. Yoga and meditation also play a major role in maintaining good overall health and are also promoted. In addition to these activities, seminars about the importance of taking a balanced diet are also conducted in many regions.
World Health Day 2023 Theme
Every year since 1950, a theme is decided by the current WHO Director-General for celebration of World Health Day. Suggestions regarding the theme are provided by the member governments and staff of WHO and the most voted one is declared as the celebratory theme. The theme for World Health Day 2023 has not been decided yet. Check out the themes for World Health Day celebration for the past five years.
- World Health Day 2017 theme: Depression: Let’s talk
- World Health Day 2018 theme: Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere
- World Health Day 2019 theme: Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere
- World Health Day 2020 theme: Support Nurses and Midwives
- World Health Day 2021 theme: Building a Fairer and Healthier World for Everyone
- World Health Day 2022 theme: Our planet, our health
- World Health Day theme 2023: “Health for All”
World Health Day 2023 Quotes
Check out some famous health related quotes this World Health Day to inspire you to take care of your physical, mental, and emotional health.
- True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment – William Penn
- It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver – Mahatma Gandhi
- True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it is lost – Charles Caleb Colton
- Happiness is the highest form of health – Dalai Lama
- Health is not valued till sickness comes – Thomas Fuller
- It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society – Jiddu Krishnamurti
- But the real secret to lifelong good health is actually the opposite. Let your body take care of you – Deepak Chopra
- Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness – Edward Stanley
- If I’d known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself – Leon Eldred
- Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship – Buddha
Frequently Asked Questions
World Health Day is observed on 7th of April.
The theme of World Health Day 2023 is “Health for All”
We celebrate World Health Day on 7th April as on this day World Health Organization (WHO) was formed in 1948.