With the aim to increase awareness about healthy liver and draw attention to liver related diseases, World Liver Day is observed every year on 19 April. Liver is the second largest body part (only after skin) and also the second most complex organ in the body (after human brain). Many functions are performed by liver that are important for our body to function normally. Any issue with your liver can affect the normal functioning of the body and can create serious health related problems. It is therefore necessary that we take good care of our liver so that we never have to face deadly diseases like hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, cancer, etc. To make people more aware about the health and disease related to liver, World Liver Day is celebrated all across the globe. Check out complete details related to the World Liver Day 2023 from this article below.
World Liver Day 2023 Date
|Event||World Liver Day |
|Date||April 19, 2023|
|Theme||“Be Vigilant, Do Regular Liver Check-Up, Fatty Liver Can Affect Anyone”|
What are the important functions of liver?
Many crucial functions related to immunity, digestion, metabolism, storage of absorbed nutrients, excretion and others are performed by the liver only. Some of the major functions that liver perform to keep our body functioning are as follows:
- It releases bile, a fluid that helps in digestion by breaking down fats.
- Regulating blood clotting is another important task performed by liver.
- It helps clear the blood of drugs and other poisonous substances
- Liver resists infections by removing bacteria from the bloodstream
- It produces cholesterol and special proteins to help carry fats through the body.
Hepatitis- An Inflammation of Liver
Hepatitis is an inflammation of liver that is very common in people and can cause serious damage to the liver and the whole body. There are mainly five types of Hepatitis depending on the virus that infects it- A, B, C, D and E. Mention of Hepatitis forms an integral part when we talk about World Live Day as most of the times it is Hepatitis that affects our liver the most. In this regard, World Hepatitis Day is also observed separately on July 28 every year. It also aims to raise global awareness of hepatitis and encourage it prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Hepatitis affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide, causing acute and chronic disease.
Check: World health day
Take care of your liver this World Liver Day
Liver performs many functions in human body and plays a key role in the body’s digestive system. Liver disease does not show very obvious symptoms until the damage is serious. Some common symptoms like loss of appetite and weight loss can be seen if the disease has spread to a large part of the organ. It is therefore important to take care of it and get it checked from time to time so as to keep it healthy to prevent any future liver diseases. Below here, some tips are given to keep your liver healthy and happy.
- Eating a balanced diet is the first and foremost way of taking care of your liver and your body. Your diet must include cereal, fresh fruits, fiber-rich vegetables, bread and rice.
- Make sure that you drink plenty of water as keeping your body hydrated can help with your liver too.
- It is important that you maintain a healthy weight as an increase in weight can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Drinking too much of alcohol can damage and ultimately destroy liver cells. It is therefore advised to drink alcohol only in moderation and if possible, abdicate it completely.
- Smoking can also affect your liver adversely by enhancing toxic effects that some medications have on the liver. Try to steer clear form cigarettes.
- Similarly, one should avoid taking drugs like pain relievers, stimulants, sedatives, etc without taking prescription from a doctor.
Check all special days in April
Liver Cleansing Tips
There are some foods that can cleanse your liver and keep it functioning as new. These are very basic items that can be included in your day-to-day diet. Have a look at them.
- Use olive oil for making food.
- Include garlic and turmeric in your food.
- Fruits like grapefruit, apple, walnuts, etc should be included in your diet.
- Intake lemon and lime juice.
- Add leafy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc to your diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
On 19th April
It falls on Wednesday
“Be Vigilant, Do Regular Liver Check-Up, Fatty Liver Can Affect Anyone”