Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is the most famous and reputed education board in India. Most of the parents put a great amount of trust in schools that are affiliated with the CBSE. It is very important for private and unaided schools to get CBSE Affiliation 2023 to win the trust of potential students and their parents.
This board works under the Central Government of India and signifies quality education. At the same time, it is also true that getting a CBSE affiliation is not an easy task. The process of getting this affiliation is meticulous. It involves different procedures, requirements, and documentation. Go through this post to understand CBSE Affiliation Process 2023 thoroughly.
Types of CBSE Affiliation 2023
Before we discuss CBSE Board Affiliation Procedure, you should know the types of CBSE Affiliations. Broadly, we can classify the type of Affiliation into the following categories.
- Approval for Middle Class Syllabus
- General Affiliation of a secondary school or Senior Secondary School
- Upgradation of a school approved for middle class syllabus up to secondary or senior secondary level.
- Upgradation of an affiliated secondary school up to senior secondary level.
- Switch over of schools up to secondary and senior secondary level. (Schools already affiliated with other boards of school/ secondary education to the Central Board of Secondary Education are granted affiliation under this category.
Categories of the Schools under CBSE
Just like types of CBSE affiliation, the schools are also classified into the following categories. Remember, schools falling any of the following categories only can apply for affiliation.
- Government and Government Aided Schools.
- Schools run by autonomous organizations under the Government like Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), Central Tibetan Schools Organization (CTSO), Sainik Schools Society, etc.
- Schools run by Government Department directly like Defense, Railways, etc.
- Private, unaided schools.
- Schools managed directly by Public Sector Undertakings or by reputed societies of Public Sector Undertakings under the financial control of such Public Sector Undertakings or by Societies formed by such Undertakings.
CBSE Board Affiliation 2023 Last Date
- You should note that the last date for the submission of CBSE Board Affiliation Application is 31st March 2023.
- The classes must not be started without Affiliation with the Board.
- Remember, if the classes start without proper affiliation by the CBSE then CBSE will not be responsible for any consequences.
What essential conditions for a school to get Affiliated with CBSE?
This is the most important section. Please note that you can apply for CBSE Affiliation only if your school meets the following norms.
1. Establishment of the School – The school must be established by any one of the following entities.
- Government Ministry/ Department
- Statutory Body
- Autonomous Body
- Public Sector Undertaking
- Local Body
- Any other Government Body
- Registered Society
- Registered Trust
- Company Registered under Section – 8 of the Companies Act – 2013.
2. Registration under Law – The school should have a school management Committee. Under RTE Act 2009, it is mandatory for schools to have a proper management committee.
3. Recognition from the respective state government – The school looking to get Affiliation from CBSE should have a prior recognition certificate from the concerned State Education Department.
4. Land Requirement for CBSE Affiliation
- The land on which the school is built should meet the following norms.
- The school must be established on a single plot of land. In case there are more than two survey numbers, all plots should be adjacent to each other making a single plot of land.
- A suitable and strong building should be constructed on a piece of land.
- A proper playground should exist on the remaining part of the plot.
- The entire piece of land must be covered with a pucca boundary wall on all sides which should be of appropriate height.
- The other facilities prescribed by CBSE from time to time should also be there in the school building.
- The school building size requirement for CBSE Affiliation is 8000 square meters. However, a school with the size of 6000 square meters can also get affiliation provided the restrictions of optimum enrolments and number of sections are matched.
- The size with a size of 4000 square meters can also get affiliation if it meets any of the following criteria.
- Located in limits of Municipal Authorities of cities with a population exceeding 15 lakhs.
- Schools located in hilly areas. (2000 sq. Meter for Secondary level and 3000 sq. Meter for Senior Secondary School)
- Schools located within the limits of Municipal Authorities of the State Capital Cities.
- The school is located in the North-Eastern States.
- Schools located in the state of Jammu and Kashmir
- Schools are located within the limits of Municipal Authorities of Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad, and Gurugram cities only of National Capital Region (NCR).
- The school located with the limits of Municipal Authorities of Panchkula (Haryana) and Mohali/ SAS Nagar (Punjab), the satellite cities of Chandigarh.
Check: CBSE compartment exam date
5. Physical Infrastructure for CBSE Affiliation
|Classroom||Minimum size – 8 m x 6 m (at least 1 sq. Meter per student)|
|Science Laboratory||Minimum size – 9 m x 6 m. Should be fully equipped|
|Library||Minimum size – 14 m x 8 m
Must have a sufficient number of age-appropriate books on all subjects in its stock
Books must include e-Books, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Reference Books, Encyclopedias, Periodicals, Magazines, Journals and Newspapers, etc.
|Computer Laboratory||Minimum size – 9 m x 6 m
Should have at least 20 computers. The lab must maintain computer to student ratio of 1:20
Must have a good internet connection.
|Mathematics Lab||Should be of the regular size of a classroom|
|Rooms for extracurricular activities||Schools must have separate rooms for music, dance, arts & sports, etc. or one multipurpose hall and adequate size for all these activities.|
6. Documents Required for CBSE Affiliation
- The schools are expected to submit information through the online portal. Two mandatory documents for submitting the information are District Education Administration and Self Affidavit.
- A letter of Intent
- No objection certificate from the state government for proceeding with the CBSE affiliation process.
- Letter of Recognition from the District Education Officer
- If there is a satisfactory report of inspection and all the essential conditions are fulfilled, a letter of intent shall be issued by the Board to the applicant school for affiliation.
- Other documents substantiating your claim for CBSE affiliation.
CBSE Affiliation Application Form
The step by step process to apply for the CBSE Affiliation is explained below. Remember, the CBSE Affiliation Application Process will take place in online mode only.
- First and foremost, you will have to visit the official website of CBSE i.e. http://saras.cbse.gov.in/cbse_aff/
- You will find the “Apply Now” button on the homepage. You should click on the same.
- Read all the instructions that will display on your screen and fill details in the application form carefully.
- In the next step, you must pay the requisite application fees. The amount you will have to pay as CBSE Affiliation Fees are given in the following table.
- Next, you should agree with the Bye-Laws related to Education. For details, we request you to download CBSE Affiliation Bye Laws PDF and read it carefully.
- Finally, you may submit the application form and keep it safe for future references. Remember, the last date to apply for CBSE Affiliation is 31st March.
Frequently Asked Questions
The initial period of CBSE affiliation is 3 years even if not expressly mentioned in the grant letter.
Answer: The documents that you need to provide to prove the land ownership of the school are as follows.
In case of ownership, the land title documents should be a Sale Deed/ Conveyance Deed/ Gift Deed/ Lease Deed/ Allotment Letter, etc. Duly registered before the registration authority concerned of the states.
In case of a lease, the lease deed of the land/ building should be duly registered before the concerned Registration Authority of the state and should be for a minimum of effective term of 15 years.
A lease executed by a government or any agency of government may be accepted even if it is for a term of fewer than 15 years but the lease should specifically be for running a school.
The lease deed shall be operational at the time of application for affiliation/ upgradation/ extension.
In the case of schools established by or in large scale industry projects then the land should be allotted by the said industrial project for running of schools.
The minimum size of the school in these cities is given below.
Secondary School – At least 1600 square meters
Senior Secondary School – At least 3200 square meters
No, offline applications or applications hard copies shall not be entertained by the board.