Business Studies is a relevantly easier subject for the commerce students. It is one of the purely theoretical subjects in CBSE class 12th curriculum. The students who are going to appear for the 12th board exam should understand CBSE Class 12 Business Studies syllabus 2023 thoroughly. Business Studies have a very wide range of scope and its syllabus generally deals in financial management, general management, and marketing management. Interested candidates and teachers can check complete details regarding CBSE 12th class Business Studies syllabus 2023-24 from this post.
CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus 2023-24 Marking Scheme
Let’s have a look at the unit-wise distribution of marks and period for Business Studies Subject as prescribed by the CBSE.
|Part A||Principles and Functions of Management|
|1.||Nature and Significance of Management||12||16|
|2||Principles of Management||14|
|Part B||Business Finance and Marketing|
|Part C||Project Work (One)||30||20|
Part A: Principles and Functions of Management Unit 1: Nature and Significance of Management
|Concept||After going through this unit, the
student/ learner would be able to:
|Management – concept, objectives, and importance||· Understand the concept of management.
· Explain the meaning of ‘Effectiveness and Efficiency.
· Discuss the objectives of management.
· Describe the importance of management.
|Management as Science, Art and Profession||· Examine the nature of
management as a science, art and profession.
|Levels of Management||· Understand the role of top, middle and lower levels of management|
|Management functions-planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling||· Explain the functions of management|
|Coordination- concept and importance||· Discuss the concept and|
|characteristics of coordination.
· Explain the importance of coordination.
Unit 2: Principles of Management
|Principles of Management- concept and significance||· Understand the concept of principles of management.
· Explain the significance of management principles.
|Fayol’s principles of management||· Discuss the principles of management developed by Fayol.|
|Taylor’s Scientific management- principles and techniques||· Explain the principles and techniques of ‘Scientific Management’.
· Compare the contributions of Fayol and Taylor.
Unit 3: Business Environment
|Business Environment- concept and importance||· Understand the concept of ‘Business Environment’.
· Describe the importance of business environment
|Dimensions of Business Environment- Economic, Social, Technological, Political and Legal
Demonetization – concept and features
|· Describe the various dimensions of ‘Business Environment’.
· Understand the concept of demonetization
Unit 4: Planning
|Concept, importance and limitation||· Understand the concept of planning.
· Describe the importance of planning.
· Understand the limitations of planning.
|Planning process||· Describe the steps in the process of planning.|
|Single use and standing plans. Objectives, Strategy, Policy, Procedure, method Rule, budget and Programme||· Develop an understanding of single use and standing plans
· Describe objectives, policies, strategy, procedure, method, rule, budget and programme as types of
10 Best Laptops For College Students
Unit 5: Organising
|Concept and importance||· Understand the concept of organizing as a structure and as a|
· Explain the importance of organising.
|Organising Process||· Describe the steps in the process of organizing|
|Structure of organisation- functional and divisional concept. Formal and informal organisation- concept||· Describe functional and divisional structures of organisation.
· Explain the advantages, disadvantages and suitability of functional and divisional structure.
· Understand the concept of formal and informal organisation.
· Discuss the advantages,
disadvantages of formal and informal organisation.
|Delegation: concept, elements and importance||· Understand the concept of delegation.
· Describe the elements of delegation.
· Appreciate the importance of Delegation.
|Decentralization: concept and importance||· Understand the concept of decentralisation.
· Explain the importance of decentralisation.
· Differentiate between delegation and decentralisation.
Unit 6: Staffing
|Concept and importance of staffing||· Understand the concept of staffing.
· Explain the importance of staffing
|Staffing as a part of Human Resource Management concept||· Understand the specialized duties and activities performed by Human
|Staffing process||· Describe the steps in the process of staffing|
|Recruitment process||· Understand the meaning of recruitment.
· Discuss the sources of recruitment.
· Explain the merits and demerits of
internal and external sources of recruitment.
|Selection – process||· Understand the meaning of selection.
· Describe the steps involved in the process of selection.
|Training and Development – Concept and importance, Methods of training – on the||· Understand the concept of training and development.|
|job and off the job – vestibule training, apprenticeship training and internship training||· Appreciate the importance of training to the organisation and to the employees.
· Discuss the meaning of induction training, vestibule training, apprenticeship training and internship training.
· Differentiate between training and development.
· Discuss on the job and off the job methods of training.
Unit 7: Directing
|Concept and importance||· Describe the concept of directing.
· Discuss the importance of directing
|Elements of Directing||· Describe the various elements of directing|
|Motivation – concept, Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, Financial and non-financial incentives||· Understand the concept of motivation.
· Develop an understanding of Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs.
· Discuss the various financial and non-financial incentives.
|Leadership – concept, styles – authoritative, democratic and laissez faire||· Understand the concept of leadership.
· Understand the various styles of leadership.
|Communication – concept, formal and informal communication; barriers to effective communication, how to overcome the barriers||· Understand the concept of communication
· Understand the elements of the communication process.
· Discuss the concept of formal and informal communication.
· Discuss the various barriers to effective communication.
· Suggest measures to overcome barriers to communication.
Unit 8: Controlling
|Controlling – Concept and importance||· Understand the concept of controlling.
· Explain the importance of controlling.
|Relationship between planning and
|· Describe the relationship between planning and controlling|
|Steps in process of control||· Discuss the steps in the process of controlling.|
Part B: Business Finance and Marketing Unit 9: Financial Management
|Concept, role and objectives of Financial Management||· Understand the concept of financial management.
· Explain the role of financial management in an organisation.
· Discuss the objectives of financial management
|Financial decisions: investment, financing
and dividend- Meaning and factors affecting
|· Discuss the three financial
decisions and the factors affecting them.
|Financial Planning – concept and importance||· Describe the concept of financial planning and its objectives.
· Explain the importance of financial planning.
|Capital Structure – concept and factors affecting capital structure||· Understand the concept of capital structure.
· Describe the factors determining
the choice of an appropriate capital structure of a company.
|Fixed and Working Capital – Concept and factors affecting their requirements||· Understand the concept of fixed and working capital.
· Describe the factors determining the requirements of fixed and
Unit 10: Financial Markets
|Financial Markets: Concept||· Understand the concept of financial market.|
|Money Market: Concept||· Understand the concept of money market.|
|Capital market and its types (primary and secondary)||· Discuss the concept of capital market.
· Explain primary and secondary markets as types of capital market.
· Differentiate between capital market and money market.
· Distinguish between primary and secondary markets.
|Stock Exchange – Functions and trading procedure||· Give the meaning of a stock exchange.
· Explain the functions of a stock exchange.
· Discuss the trading procedure in a stock exchange.
|· Give the meaning of depository services and demat account as used in the trading procedure of
|Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) – objectives and functions||· State the objectives of SEBI.
· Explain the functions of SEBI.
Unit 11: Marketing
|Marketing – Concept, functions and philosophies||· Understand the concept of marketing.
· Explain the features of marketing.
· Discuss the functions of marketing.
· Explain the marketing philosophies.
|Marketing Mix – Concept and elements||· Understand the concept of marketing mix.
· Describe the elements of marketing mix.
|Product – branding, labelling and packaging – Concept||· Understand the concept of product as an element of marketing mix.
· Understand the concept of branding, labelling and packaging.
|Price – Concept, Factors determining price||· Understand the concept of price as an element of marketing mix.
· Describe the factors determining price of a product.
|Physical Distribution – concept, components and channels of distribution||· Understand the concept of physical distribution.
· Explain the components of physical distribution.
· Describe the various channels of distribution.
|Promotion – Concept and elements; Advertising, Personal Selling, Sales Promotion and Public Relations||· Understand the concept of promotion as an element of marketing mix.
· Describe the elements of promotion mix.
· Understand the concept of advertising.
· Understand the concept of sales promotion.
· Discuss the concept of public relations.
Unit 12: Consumer Protection
|Concept and importance of consumer protection||· Understand the concept of consumer protection.
· Describe the importance of
· Discuss the scope of Consumer Protection Act, 2019
|The Consumer Protection Act, 2019:
Meaning of consumer
Rights and responsibilities of consumers Who can file a complaint?
Redressal machinery Remedies available
|· Understand the concept of a consumer according to the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
· Explain the consumer rights
· Understand the responsibilities of consumers
· Understand who can file a complaint and against whom?
· Discuss the legal redressal machinery under Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
· Examine the remedies available to
the consumer under Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
|Consumer awareness – Role of consumer organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)||· Describe the role of consumer organizations and NGOs in
protecting consumers’ interests.
Unit 13: Project Work
CBSE Class 12th New Business Studies Syllabus 2023-24: Download PDF
CBSE Class 12th Syllabus (All Subjects)
2 thoughts on “CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus 2023-24 (Latest BST Syllabus PDF)”
I want that,u send me your notes of class ,12th best !!
THIS IS KUSHAL SAHOTRA FROM VVN ASSANDH KARNAL WORKING AS PGT COMMERCE LECTUERER.I WANT TO KNOW MARKING SCHEME OF BUSINESS STUDIES .IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING PLZ SEND ME ASAP.