Facebook users can now apply for their share of the $725 million data privacy settlement. The settlement was reached after a class-action lawsuit was filed against the social media giant for violating users’ privacy rights. The lawsuit alleged that Facebook used users’ data without their consent for targeted advertising.
The settlement will be divided among eligible users who will submit a claim. The amount each user receives will depend on the number of claims submitted. In addition to the monetary compensation, Facebook has also agreed to make changes to its privacy practices to better protect users’ personal information.
We can say that this settlement serves as a reminder of the importance of protecting personal data online. It is important for users to be aware of the privacy policies of the websites and apps they use and to take steps to protect their data.
Methods of Facebook Claim Settlement
There are following two ways to submit your claim for Facebook Settlement.
- Online through the website – Submit a claim through the Facebook website.
- Through Mail – By mailing to the following address – Facebook Consumer Privacy User Profile Litigation, c/o Settlement Administrator, 1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
Eligibility to get Money from Facebook in the Data Privacy Settlement
Those who met the following eligibility criteria can claim their share in the Facebook $725 Million Data Privacy Settlement.
- You must have lived in the US from May 24th 2007 to December 22nd 2022.
- You should have used Facebook during this period.
Information Required To Claim Facebook Privacy Settlement
To claim the settlement amount, you just need to provide your basic information.
- Your Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Your Facebook username
- Whether you have used your Facebook account between May 24, 2007, and December 22, 2022, or not.
Also Check How to Create Facebook Reels
Steps to Submit Facebook Consumer Privacy Claim Settlement Form
If you were affected by the misuse of Facebook user data, you have the opportunity to receive compensation through the settlement claim process. Follow these steps to submit your claim and potentially receive compensation for any damages you may have experienced.
- Firstly, visit the official settlement website i.e. facebookuserprivacysettlement.com and check your eligibility for the claim. If you are eligible, you can proceed to the next step.
- Next, fill out the claim form with your personal information including your name, address, and phone number.
- You will need to provide your Facebook ID or email address to determine whether you are eligible. In case you have deleted your Facebook account then you will have to provide the range of dates on which you have used Facebook’s service.
- You will also need to provide information about how you want to receive the claim amount.
- Finally, you will have to upload your digital signature and submit the form.
Facebook will provide your claim settlement amount through any of the following methods as per your choice.
- Direct Deposit to your bank Account
Check Ways to Contact Facebook about problems
Deadline / Last Date to Submit Your Claim
- The completed and signed Claim Form must be postmarked by August 25, 2023, in case you are sending your claim via U.S. mail.
- If you are submitting an online claim form then you should submit the same by 11:59 PM PDT on August 25, 2023.
Total Settlement Amount
If the court approves the settlement, Meta (Facebook’s parent company) will set up a settlement fund of seventy-five million dollars.
The company will use this fund to pay all valid claims made by the users. Meta will also provide funds for any costs associated with notice & administration, legal fees, and service awards for the users.
Facebook Data Privacy Settlement Case Current Status
The Court has scheduled a final approval hearing for the settlement of this case on September 7, 2023, at 1 P.M. PDT to consider whether to approve the settlement or not.
Additionally, the court will also consider any issues with the settlement or any of its terms submitted to the Court. If the court grants final approval of the settlement, the payments will be distributed as soon as possible.
Contact Facebook for More Information
In case you require more information about the settlement process then you may contact the settlement administrator by email, phone, or mail.
- Email – [email protected]
- Phone number – 1-855-556-2233
- Mail – Facebook Consumer Privacy User Profile Litigation, c/o Settlement Administrator, 1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Public Lawyer in Facebook Settlement Case
The court has appointed Lesley E. Weaver of Bleichmar Fonti & Auld LLP and Derek W. Loeser of Keller Rohrback L.L.P to represent Facebook users in this case. The addresses of these lawyers are –
- Derek W. Loeser – Keller Rohrback L.L.P., 1201 Third Ave., Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98101.
- Lesley E. Weaver – Bleichmar Fonti & Auld LLP, 555 12th Street, Suite 1600, Oakland, CA 94607
Frequently Asked Questions
You will not get any amount. Plus, you will give up the right to sue Facebook in this case.
At 1 pm PDT on September 7, 2023
It depends on how many Facebook users will submit valid claims.
No, there is no need to hire a lawyer.
No, you may only submit one claim form.