There are multiple career opportunities you can explore after acquiring a degree in Home Science and it includes Health Educator, Health care Counsellor, Product Executive, Medical Coder, Executive Chef, Assistant Dietician among others.
You do have options to choose from many subjects while pursuing a course in Home Science and it also includes Socioeconomic hygiene and development, Ethics, Clothing and textile, Communication skills, Human development, Resource management, & Food and nutrition.
Coming to the salary, you can earn between 2 to 6 Lakh after getting a degree or diploma in Home Science. The list of major courses falls under Home Science discipline are-
- BSc in Home Science
- Diploma in Home Science
- BA in Home Science
- MSc in Home Science
- Post Graduate Diploma in Home Science
- PhD in Home Science
Home Science Course Overview
|Available courses||Diploma, UG, PG and PhD|
|Minimum qualification||Class 12th|
|Course duration||2 to 3 years|
|Course fee||10K to 70K|
|Top recruiters||Accenture, Reliance Group of Industries, Aditya Birla Group, Hindustan Unilever|
|Top exams||NIMSEE, UPCATET, OUAT, CUET UG, CUET PG|
You need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria in order to avoid cancellation of your admission at the final stage:
Please note: you need to have skillsets like communication skills, Culinary knowledge and ability, Mathematical ability, Computer and software knowledge, time management, team player to excel your career in Home Science.
|Undergraduate course (BA or BSc in Home Science)||50% marks in class 12th Admissions would be based on either merit or entrance exam. There are many universities who combine class 12th marks and entrance exam score while giving admission.There are few institutions that only admit students who have passed class 12th exam in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.|
|Postgraduate course||It is essential to have a recognized graduate degree in home science or its equivalent field to get admission to PG in Home Science. There are many national level and state level entrance exams conducted for admission to post graduate course in Home Science.|
|PhD||Candidates should have a master’s degree in home science or its equivalent field to pursue PhD in Home Science.|
Home Science Courses Duration and Fees
A bachelor’s degree in Home Science is of minimum 3 years duration; however it also depends upon the universities’ curriculum. I have listed below Home Science courses along with its duration and fees according to few government institutions:
|Course Title||Course Fee||Course Duration|
|BA in Home Science||Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 65,000||3 years|
|MA in Home Science||Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 35,000||2 years|
|PG Diploma in Home Science||Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 35,000||2 years|
|MSc in Home Science||Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 40,000||2 years|
|BSc in Home Science||Rs. 55,000 to Rs. 80,000||3 years|
List of Course Subjects
A Bachelor’s course in Home Science is of 3 years duration which includes six semesters in total, while a Master’s course in Home Science is of 2 years with four semesters in total. You can also pursue several diploma courses in Home Science. Here is the list of subjects which are usually taught in Home Science course:
- Chemical analysis of food
- Exercise physiology
- Resource management
- Food and nutrition
- Food science and processing
- Advanced study of counseling and physiological testing
- Sustainable development
- Physiology and promoting health
- Child rights and social action
- Communication and extension
- Fabric and apparel science
- Human development
List of Top Entrance Exam for Home Science
Please note that there are many institutes and universities who give admission to Home Science courses based on merit, while few universities and institutions accept admissions through entrance exam conducted either at national, state, or university level.
Uttar Pradesh Combined Agriculture and Technology Entrance Test (UPCATET)
- UP Combined Agriculture and Technology Entrance Test (UPCATET) is conducted once a year.
- This exam is conducted to offer admission to many UG & PG courses in Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology, Meerut; Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur; Banda University of Agriculture and Technology, Banda, Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology, Kumarganj, Faridabad;
- Only candidates having Uttar Pradesh domicile can apply for this exam.
- The exam will be conducted for three hours in offline mode.
- Official website- online.upcatetexam.org
- National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts CUET UG only once a year.
- This exam is conducted for providing admissions to UG courses in participating universities including BHU, DU, Manipur University among others.
- The exam is conducted in computer-based mode for two hours.
- Official website: https://cuet.samarth.ac.in/
- National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts CUET PG for admission to over 40 Central and other participating universities.
- The exam is conducted only once a year.
- CUET PG will be conducted in computer-based mode for two hours.
- Official Website- https://cuet.nta.nic.in/
Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT) Entrance Exam
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology conducts OUAT exam for admission to undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes.
- This exam is also conducted only once a year.
- OUAT is conducted as a Computer Based Test for two hours.
- Official website: http://www.ouat.nic.in
NIMS Entrance Exam (NIMSEE)
- NIMS University, Rajasthan conducts NIMSEE for providing admission to various undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- The exam is conducted in offline mode as a pen and paper test.
- Official website: https://nimsuniversity.org
Home Science Syllabus
Please find below syllabus of Home Science undergraduate and postgraduate courses:
|Undergraduate Syllabus||First Semester– Applied Chemistry, Fashion, Resource management, Communication and extension, Fashion studies, Environmental Science or English Communication Second Semester– English Communication, Textile Fundamentals, Life span Development I, Fundamentals of nutrition and food science Third Semester– SEC I, Sociology, Nutrition for Family, Life span Development II, Physical Sciences Fourth Semester– SEC 2, Communication system social change, Personal Finance consumer science, Life Science Fifth Semester– DSE 1A, DSE 2A, DSE 3A, SEC 3 Sixth Semester- DSE 1B, DSE 2B, DSE 3B, SEC 4|
|Postgraduate Syllabus||First Semester- Entrepreneurship management/Textile design, Child and human rights, Clinical and therapeutic nutrition, Extension management and media production, Research methods Second Semester– Advertising and marketing, Curriculum for early years, Maternal and child nutrition, Apparel design and construction, Statistics and computer application Third Semester– Housing for family living, Advance studies in human development, Nutrition for health and fitness, Development communication, Scientific writing Fourth Semester– Dissertation, Residential interior space design, Care and children with disabilities and illness, Advance apparel and fashion design, Communication technologies in extension, Environment management|
Career in Home Science
Home Science is gaining exposure not only in India but also around the world. The field also attracts various job opportunities in private and public sector. I have enclosed below few top job profiles with salary that falls under Home Science discipline:
|Job Profile||Annual Package in Rupees|
|Assistant Dietician||2 to 3 Lakh|
|Health care Counsellor||2 to 3 Lakh|
|Health Educator||1 to 3 Lakh|
|Product Executive||2 to 4 Lakh|
|Medical Coder||2 to 6 lakh|
|Executive Chef||3 to 4 lakh|
|Food analyst||4 to 6 lakh|
|Nutrition expert||3 to 6 lakh|
The list of top recruiters for Home Science students includes both private and public sectors:
- State government
- Elico Healthcare Services Ltd.
- Aon Hewitt
- Reliance Group of Industries
- Cactus Communications
- Aditya Birla Group
- Hindustan Unilever
- Talwalkars Health Club
- Gold’s Gym
- Indegene Life Systems
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra
- National Institute of Nutrition
- Skydeck infrastructure Pvt Ltd
- ZYLA health
- Sports Authority of India
- EyeFor health care Pvt Ltd
- JG Group etc.
Human Development and Family Studies, Food and Nutrition, Fabric and Apparel, Communication and Extension & Resource Management.
Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 80,000
2 years including 4 semesters
Yes, you can explore many job opportunities after pursuing a course in Home Science.
2 to 6 lakh per annum