IPS officers often get a lot of respect in society. Have you ever wondered what an IPS officer’s salary is? You should know that an IPS Officer per month salary is Rs. 56100/-. Please note that this is the basic salary. They also get a large number of additional benefits.
The Civil Services Examination of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is considered to be the toughest examination in the country. Every year lakhs of students give this exam, but only a few students get success. After passing the civil service exam, the officers of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) are selected.
IAS and IPS are given different responsibilities and they also get different facilities and handsome salaries. So let’s discuss how much salary an IPS officer receives and what other facilities they get.
IPS Salary Per Month in 2023
The basic salary of all IPS officers at the entry-level is the same. After that, the salary increases with seniority and tenure. Overall, the basic salary of IPS Officers ranges from Rs. 56,100 (excluding TA, DA, and HRA) to Rs 2,25,000 Per Month for a top IPS officer or DGP.
|Level||Basic Pay – IPS Salary Per Month|
|Starting Salary of IPS Officer||Rs. 56,100/-|
|Maximum IPS Salary||Rs. 2,25,000/-|
IPS Officer In-Hand Salary
The in-hand salary is the amount that an IPS officer gets after adding all compensations to the basic salary and reducing the deductions. According to a rough estimate, the in-hand salary of a new IPS officer is Rs. 54,000/-
Let’s take a look at a sample IPS Officer Salary Slip to understand their salary structure.
|IPS Officer Salary Components||IPS Officer Salary per month|
|Grade Pay||Rs. 0/-|
|Pay Band||Rs. 56,100/-|
|House Rent Allowance (HRA)||Rs. 4,000/-|
|Dearness Allowance (DA)||Rs. 1,000/-|
|Transport Allowance (TA)||Rs. 3000/-|
|Basic Salary||Rs. 54,000/-|
|Gross Salary||Rs. 64,000/-|
As you can see, there are certain deductions in the Gross Salary of an IPS officer. These deductions include Health Services Contribution, Central Government Welfare Scheme Contribution, Insurance Scheme, NPS Contribution, Taxes, etc.
Know IPS Salary Per Month After 7th Pay Commission
According to the 7th Pay Commission, the overall compensation of an IPS officer during the training period (at the 10th pay matrix level) is around Rs. 56,100/-. The IPS training begins in accordance with the suggestions of UPSC.
The IPS salary begins on the day of the appointment. At the time of the appointment, the IPS is placed on the Junior Scale (Pay Level 10). The 3rd Pay Band: Rs. 15,600 to 39,100, plus INR 5,400 in Grade Pay is used for this purpose.
This compensation varies by the state after being assigned to the state cadre. A hike of around 20% is expected in the basic salary after the implementation of 8th Pay Commission in 2026.
Ranks and Salary
An IPS officer can reach the post of DGP after promotion. The officer posted on the post of DGP gets the highest salary. After becoming DGP, an IPS officer gets a basic salary of around Rs 2.25 lakh per month.
- Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) – When an IPS officer is posted as DSP, he/ she gets a salary of Rs. 56,100/-.
- Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) – After getting a promotion from DSP, the IPS officer gets the post of ASP and a salary of Rs. 67,700/-.
- Superintendent of Police (SP) – An IPS officer gets a salary of Rs. 78,800/- after reaching the post of SP.
- Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) – After SP, the IPS officer is promoted to the post of ASP (SSP) and gets a salary of Rs. 1,18,500/-.
- Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) – The salary of an IPS officer after reaching the post of DIGP becomes Rs. 1,31,100/-.
- Inspector General of Police (IGP) – When an IPS officer is promoted to the post of IGP, he gets Rs. 1,44,200/- as his monthly salary.
- Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) – After IGP, the IPS officer becomes ADGP after getting a promotion and then his salary becomes Rs. 2,05,400/-.
- Director General of Police (DGP) – An IPS officer can reach the post of DGP after promotion and the officer posted on the post of DGP gets the highest salary. After becoming DGP, an IPS officer gets a salary of around Rs 2.25 lakh per month.
|IPS Rank||Position in Delhi Police Salary Structure||Basic Salary (As Per the 7th Pay Commission)|
|Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP)||Assistant Commissioner of Police||Rs. 56,100/-|
|Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP)||Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police||Rs. 67,700/-|
|Superintendent of Police (SP)||Senior Deputy Commissioner of Police||Rs. 78,800/-|
|Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP)||Additional Commissioner of Police||Rs. 1,31,100/-|
|Inspector General of Police (IGP)||Joint Commissioner of Police||Rs. 1,44,200/-|
|Additional Director General of Police (ADGP)||Special Commissioner of Police||Rs. 2,05,400/-|
|Director General of Police (DGP)||Commissioner of Police||Rs. 2,25,000/-|
Perks and Benefits
Apart from salary, an IPS officer gets many other facilities, but it varies on the basis of different pay bands. He/she gets the facility of a house and a car, but the size of the house and car is determined on the basis of the post.
Along with this, security guards, drivers and house help are also given to IPS officers according to their posts. Apart from this, according to the post, money is also available for medical treatment, telephone and electricity bills. All IPS officers are also eligible for lifelong pensions after retirement.
Let’s discuss some of the facilities given to IPS officers.
- Residence – Bungalows or residential units are given to IPS officers based on their ranks, pay scale, and seniority.
- Transport – Officers are given cars based on their rank and position. Luxury cars like a Toyota Fortuner or Innova are given to some senior officers.
- Bills – IPS officers receive free or heavily discounted connections to electricity, water, gas, and telephone.
- Leaves – Officers with seven years of service can take advantage of this benefit and select two years of study leave. They can enrol in courses at foreign universities, and the government will pay for those courses.
- Vacation – When on vacation or for business, IPS officials can stay in government guest homes or bungalows at subsidised rates. They can take advantage of staying at the State Bhawans while in the capital.
- Pension – Lifetime pension and other retirement benefits are available to them.
- Security – For their own safety and the safety of their families, IPS personnel are provided with bodyguards and home guards.
IAS vs IPS Salary
Although both IPS and IAS officials begin with a salary of 56,100 rupees, the maximum pay for an IPS officer is only Rs. 2,25,000/-, while the maximum pay for an IAS is Rs. 2,50,000/-.
When compensation is compared at the highest level, an IPS official’s salary is slightly less than that of a top IAS officer due to the tasks and responsibilities. An IAS officer is responsible for a wide range of extensive tasks as compared to an IPS.
|Pay Scale||Salary of an IAS||Salary of an IPS|
|Salary at the Junior Scale||Rs. 56,100/-||Rs. 56,100/-|
|Salary at the Senior Time Scale||Rs. 67,700/-||Rs. 67,700/-|
|Junior Administrative Grade||Rs. 78,800/-||Rs. 78,800/-|
|Selection Grade||Rs. 1,18,500/-||Rs. 1,18,500/-|
|Super Time Scale||Rs. 1,31,100/-||Rs. 1,31,100/-|
|Above Super Time||Rs. 1,44,200/-||Rs. 1,44,200/-|
|Apex Scale||Rs. 2,50,000 (fixed)||Rs. 2,25,000/- (Fixed)|
|Cabinet Secretary Grade||Not Available||Rs. 2,25,000/- (Fixed)|
Job Profile and Responsibilities
- Enforce public safety regulations that impact the community
- Protect the public by enforcing the law and performing activities like arresting criminals and writing reports.
- Prepare crime reports and monitor investigations.
- Maintain public order during festivals and other public events
- Work with law enforcement from other jurisdictions.
- Ensure that the police department remains vigilant and corruption-free.
Promotions and Career Growth
A newly selected IPS officer gets many opportunities for growth along with the salary hike that comes with each promotion. He or She can get promoted to the following ranks based on his/ her performance.
- Assistance Deputy Police Commissioner
- Deputy Police Commissioner
- Joint Police Commissioner
- Special Police Commissioner
- Police Commissioner
Frequently Asked Questions
IPS Officers get the salary of around Rs. 56000/- in the 10th level of pay matrix as the 7th Pay commission.
It depends on the jurisdiction. Generally, IAS is considered more powerful due to its wide range of responsibilities.
At least 21 years.
Yes, they need to work on probation for at least 2 years.
Generally, they don’t get weekends off. IPS officers often work for long hours under time constraints.