The National Lok Adalat Date 2024 defines the schedule of National Lok Adalats in India. There are four dates in 2024 on which the Lok Adalats will be set up throughout the country for the settlement of pending cases in India.
National Lok Adalat is a platform where disputes between two parties are settled through a process of negotiation and mediation. This system of dispute resolution is an alternative to the traditional court system and is becoming increasingly popular in India.
The main objective of the National Lok Adalat is to provide a speedy and cost-effective resolution to disputes, without the need for lengthy court proceedings. In today’s article, we are going to provide details about the National Lok Adalat upcoming dates 2024.
Lok Adalat Date 2024
Here is the schedule for Lok Adalats in the year 2024.
|1st National Lok Adalat
|2nd National Lok Adalat
|3rd National Lok Adalat
|4th National Lok Adalat
Understand National Lok Adalats
There are many citizens who are still unaware of What National Lok Adalat is. The term ‘Lok Adalat’ means ‘People’s Court’. The first Lok Adalat was organised in Gujarat in 1982 as a voluntary and conciliatory agency with no legal sponsorship for its decision.
National Lok Adalat is a unique legal system in India. It is a forum where disputes are resolved amicably without resorting to costly and time-consuming court proceedings. National Lok Adalat is an initiative of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) of India, established in 1995.
The Legal Services Authorities Act of 1987 gave it statutory status because of its increasing popularity over time. The Lok Adalats’ organizational structure and operation are governed by this Act. Lok Adalats are held by the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) and other institutions that provide legal services.
Types of Cases Resolved In National Lok Adalats
In the National Lok Adalats, pre-litigation and pending cases of the following types can be settled.
|Pending in the Courts
|All types of Civil and Compoundable Criminal cases, as may be permissible under the Act/ Regulations.
|Criminal Compoundable Offences
|Money Recovery cases
|NI Act cases under Section 138
|Labour dispute cases
|Motor Accident Claim cases
|Disputes related to Public Utility services such as Electricity & Water Bills cases etc. (excluding non-compoundable)
|Services matters including pension cases
|Land Acquisition cases
|Matrimonial disputes (except divorce)
|Revenue cases, pending before High Court and District Courts
|Other civil cases (rent, elementary rights, injunction suits, specific performance suits etc.)
Powers of National Lok Adalat
- The Lok Adalats have the same powers as those vested in a Civil Court under the Code of Civil Procedure (1908).
- Additionally, A Lok Adalat also has the authority to set its own procedure for resolving any dispute that comes before it.
- According to the Indian Penal Code (1860), all proceedings before a Lok Adalat are considered judicial proceedings, and every Lok Adalat is considered a Civil Court for the purposes of the Code of Criminal Procedure (1978).
- A Lok Adalat decision is equivalent to a decision from a civil court or an order from another court.
- Every decision made by a Lok Adalat shall be final and binding on all the parties to the dispute. No appeal shall lie to any court against the decision of the Lok Adalat.
Process to Get the Case Referred to National Lok Adalat
It is noticed that many Indian citizens are still not aware of the method by which they can get their cases referred to National Lok Adalat for settlement.
- To get your case referred, you can send an application to the state legal service authority or district legal services authority.
- Remember, you can submit this application only if your case is at a pre-litigation stage.
- Lok Adalat will issue notices to both parties regarding the National Lok Adalat Dates.
- Finally, Lok Adalat will try to find an amicable settlement of the dispute.
Levels and Composition of Lok Adalats
|At Taluk Level
|Organizer – The Secretary of the Taluk Legal Services Committee Members Sitting or retired judicial officer A member of the legal profession A social worker engaged in the upliftment of the weaker sections, OrA person engaged in paralegal activities in the area, preferably a woman.
|At District Level
|Organizer – The Secretary of the District Legal Services Authority Members Sitting or retired judicial officer A member of the legal profession A social worker engaged in the upliftment of the weaker sections, OrA person engaged in paralegal activities in the area, preferably a woman.
|High Court Level
|Organizer – The Secretary of the High Court Legal Services Committee Members Sitting or retired judicial officer A member of the legal profession A social worker engaged in the upliftment of the weaker sections
|State Authority Level
|Organizer – The Member Secretary of the State Legal Services Authority Members Sitting or retired judicial officer A member of the legal profession A social worker engaged in the upliftment of the weaker sections
Benefits of National Lok Adalat
- If the dispute is settled at Lok Adalat, there is no fee to pay to the court, and any fees already paid will be reimbursed.
- The trial procedures are flexible, and the disputes are settled quickly. There is no strict application of procedural laws during the trials at Lok Adalats.
- The disputing parties can speak directly with the judge through their legal counsel which is not possible in a regular court.
- A large number of cases can get settled in a single day. It helps the already overburdened judicial courts in India.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can submit an application to the state legal service authority or district legal services authority.
Yes. In fact, more than 97.64 lakh cases were settled in the first National Lok Adalat of 2023.
Yes, the verdicts of National Lok Adalat are binding and have the same value as other courts in India.
All information provided in this post is entered very carefully. If you find any kind of error then please post a comment regarding the same. We will fix the error. Thanks.