Swami Vivekananda Jayanti 2022 is also observed as National Youth Day. This year, it will be observed on 12th January 2022.
Swami Vivekananda was born on 12th January 1863 to an aristocratic Bengali family in Calcutta as Narendranath Datta and this day is known as Vivekananda Jayanti. According to the Hindu calendar, Vivekananda Jayanti falls on Krishna Paksha Saptami in the month of Paush every year. However, as per the Gregorian calendar, Swami Vivekananda Jayanti is celebrated on 12th January every year and is also celebrated as National Youth Day. Vivekananda was a chief disciple of Ramakrishna and is well known for introducing Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the Western world. He strongly believed that future of a country depends on its people, especially the youth, and all his life teachings were focused on the development of mankind. Complete information related to Swami Vivekananda Jayanti 2022 like how to celebrate along with the history and preaching of Swami Vivekananda are provided here in this article.
Swami Vivekananda Birthday Significance 2022
In the year 1984, the Government of India decided to celebrate the birth day of Swami Vivekananda as National Youth Day. Swami Vivekananda made a lot of efforts for the upliftment of the youth belonging to different sectors irrespective of their caste and creed. From his work and his teachings, he inspired millions of youth not just in India but all over the world. In order to honor him for his efforts, the Government of India declared his birthday to be celebrated as National Youth Day. Apart form this, Vivekananda was also a pioneer for uplifting the status and condition of women in India.
History of Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda was born as Narendranath Datta in Calcutta on January 12th 1863. from an early age he showed an inclination towards spirituality and became a disciple of saint Ramakrishna. After death of Ramakrishna in 1886, Narendranath became a monk and adopted the name ‘Swami Vivekananda’. He not only traveled in India but also visited Chicago in the year 1893 where promoted Indian philosophies. Other than this, he also conducted public and private lectures and classes promoting Hindu philosophy in England and Europe. He spent three years promoting his ideas in the west and then returned to India where he found the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. All his life he worked for the improvement of society through betterment of its people- specially the youth and the women. He told his disciples that he will not live to reach the age of 40 years and died on July 4th 1902 at the age of 39. a collection of all his writings in a set of nine volumes was also published. Some of his notable works include Sangeet Kalpataru (1887), Karma Yoga (1896), Raja Yoga (1896), Vedanta Philosophy (1896), Jnana yoga (1899), etc.
Check- Holidays in 2022
Swami Vivekananda Jayanti Celebration 2022
Swami Vivekananda Jayanti 2022 will be celebrated on 12th January and will also observe National Youth Day. This day is observed in many schools and colleges cultural events and programs are organized at different levels. Seminars, presentations, debate competitions, sports activities, singing and dancing competitions, etc are held by the schools and colleges. Every year a particular theme is decided to mark the birthday of Swami Vivekananda and various events and competitions are organized on the decided theme at states and national level. The main aim behind this is to encourage the youths to walk on the path shown by Vivekananda. Blood donation camps are also run by many clubs on the day of Swami Vivekananda Jayanti.
Swami Vivekananda’s birthday is celebrated at Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission with mangal aarti, devotional songs, meditation, recital of Vivekananda’s teachings and sandhya aarti. Apart from India, Swami Vivekananda birthday is also celebrated at the Vedanta Society of Toronto, Canada with full enthusiasm.
Famous Quotes given by Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda was a believer of youth power and according to him, a country’s future can only be changed for better if its youth feel more empowered. He gave many inspirational quotes for the young generation that still drives them towards betterment. Vivekananda also believed that spiritual awakening can play an important role in the one’s development. Certain quotes given by Swami Vivekananda are provided below:
- You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself
- The more we come out and do good to others, the more our hearts will be purified, and God will be in them.
- Take risks in your life, If you win, you can lead! If you lose, you can guide!
- Arise, awake, stop not till the goal is reached.
- If the world were guided by youth, it would be a better place. They are the ones who are most alive, idealistic, and energetic.
- Talk to yourself once in a day, otherwise, you may miss meeting an excellent person in this world.
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life- think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
- You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.”
- All differences in this world are of degree, and not of kind, because oneness is the secret of everything.
- All the powers in the universe are already ours.
- We are what our thoughts have made us, so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live, they travel far.
- Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this Divinity within by controlling nature, external and internal.