Christianity is the largest followed religion with more than 2.5 billion followers in the world. There are many significant holidays observed by Christians such as Good Friday, Easter, St. Nicholas Day, Christmas, etc. In this article, we have compiled and presented a complete list of Christian Holidays in .
List of Important Christian Holidays 2023
Below here are listed all the important Christian holidays falling in different months for the current year. Note that not all holidays are observed in every country and even vary from one state of a country to other. Check out the Christian Holidays full list along with the date and day on which they will be observed.
Christian Holidays in January
- Epiphany: Friday, January 6,
- The Baptism of Jesus: Sunday, January 8,
Holidays in February
- Candlemas: Thursday, February 2,
- St. Valentine’s Day: Tuesday, February 14,
- Ash Wednesday: Wednesday, February 22,
- St. Patrick’s Day: Friday, March 17,
- St. Joseph’s Day: Sunday, March 19,
- Palm Sunday: Sunday, April 2,
- Maundy (Holy) Thursday: Thursday, April 6,
- Good Friday: Friday, April 7,
- Easter: Sunday, April 9,
- Easter Monday: Monday, April 10,
- St. George’s Day: Sunday, April 23,
Christian Holidays in May
- Ascension of Jesus: Thursday, May 18,
- Pentecost: Sunday, May 28,
Christian Holidays in June
- Trinity Sunday: Sunday, June 4,
- Corpus Christi: Thursday, June 8,
- Saints Peter and Paul Day: Thursday, June 29,
Christian Holidays : July
- Saint Vladimir’s Day: Saturday, July 15,
- St. James the Great Day: Tuesday, July 25,
Christian Holidays : August
- Lammas: Tuesday, August 1,
- The Assumption of Mary: Tuesday, August 15,
Holidays in September
- Holy Cross Day: Thursday, September 14,
- Michael and All Angels: Friday, September 29,
Holidays in October 2023
- All Hallows Eve or Halloween: Tuesday, October 31,
November Christian Holidays 2023
- All Saints’ Day: Wednesday, November 1,
- All Souls’ Day: Thursday, November 2,
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 23,
- Christ the King: Sunday, November 26,
- St. Andrew’s Day: Thursday, November 30,
December Christian Holidays 2023
- Advent (first Sunday): Sunday, December 3,
- St. Nicholas Day: Wednesday, December 6,
- Christmas Eve: Sunday, December 24,
- Christmas: Monday, December 25,
- Holy Innocents: Thursday, December 28,
- Watch Night: Sunday, December 31,
Major Christian Holidays 2023
1. Good Friday
Good Friday commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. There is no fixed date to observe this day and it keeps varying every year. Good Friday is widely observed as alegal holiday inmany parts of the world, including most Western countries and 12 US states. In , Good Friday will be observed on 7 April.
Easter is a very important religious festival of Christians whose date is decided every year according to the lunisolar calendar. It is celebrated two days after Good Friday. Easter is celebrated to mark the resurrection of Jesus (also called Resurrection Day or Resurrection Sunday) after his crucifixion. In , Easter will be observed on 9 April.
Originally a Celtic folk festival, Halloween is a holiday that includes trick-or-treating, ghost tours, bonfires, costume parties and many other scary activities. A carved pumpkin, lit with a candle inside (called a jack-o’-lantern) is one of the most prominent symbols of Halloween. It is observed every year on October 31.
Thanksgiving Day is a traditional North American harvest festival celebrated in the US on the fourth Thursday of November every year. It is followed by Black Friday which is also observed as a holiday in many states. People celebrate the day by preparing delicious dishes that include Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Pumpkin Pie and many more.
Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and involves extravagant celebrations by Christians all over the world. Church services, symbolic decorating, gift giving, family and other social gatherings are rituals of this festival. Christmas is celebrated every year on 25 December.
Frequently Asked Questions
Christmas, the birthday of Jesus Christian
This article lists all the major Christian holidays observed in a year.
Hinduism and Catholicism