- Google is not an Indian company. It is an American multinational company.
- Thousands of Indians are working for Google in India as well as in the US.
- The company’s CEO, Sundar Pichai is originally from India.
- Google is constructing a huge office in Hyderabad to accommodate more than 13000 employees.
If you are using the Internet then you might not need an Introduction to Google. It is one of the biggest tech companies in the world with more than 100 thousand employees. Due to its popularity in India and having an Indian-origin CEO, many people think that Google is an Indian company which is not true.
Very specifically, Google is an American multinational organisation with a strong presence around the World including India. However, we can say that India is the second home to Google because a huge portion of its total workforce is made up of Indians.
Additionally, Google is constructing its largest campus outside of the US in the Gachibowli area of Hyderabad. The size of this upcoming campus is going to be around 7.3 acres.
Google At a Glance
|Official name of the company||Alphabet Inc.|
|Formerly||Google Inc (1998-2017)|
|Established in||September 4, 1998|
|Founders||Larry Page, and Sergey Brin|
|Headquarters||Googleplex, Mountain View, California, U.S.|
|Number of Employees||1,39,000+|
Founders and Origin of Google
The story behind the establishment of Google has been fascinating. It was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1998. They both were bright and ambitious students of Stanford University in California. Google was actually their research project started back in 1996.
Scott Hassan was the original programmer of Google who wrote the source code for the search engine. Page and Brin named this company based on the mathematical term called “googol”, which means a number with a hundred zeros.
Initially, they used a unique algorithm called “Page Rank” to rank various websites on their search engine. Google was an instant hit and it became a go-to search engine for most people around the world within a few years.
Check Sundar Pichai Net Worth
Google’s Operations in India
Google has invested millions of dollars in India across various projects. It has four offices in India at –
In 2004, Google India started with just five employees. The Bengaluru unit has engineers working on various products and services. On the other hand, Gurgaon and Hyderabad offices manage online ads-related services of Google.
The upcoming Hyderabad campus is going to be the largest office of Google after its headquarters in Googleplex, Mountain View, California, US. The new campus will accommodate more than 13,000 employees.
Indian Influence on Google
The Indian influence on Google is evident in many aspects. Let’s discuss a few of these –
- Indian Workforce – Thousands of Google’s employees are either Indians or people of Indian origin. Engineers and Developers from India have played a crucial role in creating some of the popular Google products and services.
- Modification in Products and Services – Google understands the value of the population of 1.4 billion in India. It has modified many services to cater to India-specific needs. It offers localised content and provides support to languages like Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, and more.
- Investors from India – Not many of you might know that Indian-American billionaire businessman Ram Shriram was one of the first angel investors to invest in Google in 1998. Apart from Shriram, many other Indians have also invested heavily in the company.
- Collaboration with Indian Companies – Google has invested and collaborated with many Indian companies including Jio, Glance, VerSe Innovation, etc. Additionally, many third-party Indian companies are managing various services for Google on an outsourcing basis.
- Building a tech ecosystem in the country – Apart from companies, Google has also collaborated with the Government of India to build a tech ecosystem in the country. Its next billion user program is an initiative to increase the reach of the Internet in all sectors of India.
Google’s Revenue in India
In FY 2022, Google generated its highest ever revenue in India which is about 93.49 billion rupees. Here is the year-wise revenue generated by Google India from 2015 to 2022.
|Financial Year||Revenue in India National Rupees (INR)|
|2015||Rs. 41.08 Billion|
|2016||Rs. 59.04 Billion|
|2017||Rs. 72.40 Billion|
|2018||Rs. 93.37 Billion|
|2019||Rs. 41.47 Billion|
|2020||Rs. 55.94 Billion|
|2021||Rs. 63.86 Billion|
|2022||Rs. 93.49 Billion|
Products and Services Offered by Google in India
|Android||Android Auto||Android TV||Bard|
|Calendar||Cars with Google Built-In||Chrome||Chrome Enterprise|
|Google Alerts||Google Arts & Culture||Google Assistant||Google Cast|
|Google Chat||Google Classroom||Google Cloud Print||Google Expeditions|
|Google Express||Google Fit||Google Flights||Google Fonts|
|Google Groups||Google Input Tools||Google Maps||Google Meet|
|Google One||Google Pay||Google Photos||Google Play|
|Google Play Books||Google Play Games||Google Play Movies & TV||Google Shopping|
|Google Store||Google TV||Google Wallet||Google Wifi|
|Voice||Waze||Wear OS by Google||YouTube|
|YouTube Kids||YouTube Music||YouTube TV|
Frequently Asked Questions
The United States of America
The exact numbers are not available. However, more than 40% of Google’s total workforce is Asian which includes Indians as well.
Madurai, Tamil Nadu