Every year National Beach Day is observed by the people of the United States on August 30 to celebrate all the beaches across the nation. In addition to this, the day also provides an opportunity to draw attention to maintaining the cleanliness of the beach and put some effort toward this. National Beach Day was first launched in 2014 and has been celebrated every year since. Get interesting details related to National Beach Day 2023 such as its history, significance, celebration, and more from this article.
National Beach Day 2023 Overview
|Event||National Beach Day 2023|
|Date||August 30, 2023|
|Observed by||United States|
|Purpose of celebration||To draw attention to maintaining the cleanliness of the beach.|
National Beach Day 2023 Date
Below mentioned are the upcoming dates for National Beach Day for the next 5 years.
|National Beach Day 2023||August 30, 2023||Wednesday|
|National Beach Day 2024||August 30, 2024||Friday|
|National Beach Day 2025||August 30, 2025||Saturday|
|National Beach Day 2026||August 30, 2026||Sunday|
|National Beach Day 2027||August 30, 2027||Monday|
National Beach Day Significance
Beaches are the best place to kill summer by enjoying different kind of recreational activities. You can relax by the side of the ocean, go on a walk or involve in any fun or gaming activity such as making sand castles, playing beach volleyball, Frisbee, etc. To celebrate these benefits of beaches and to draw focus on the importance of their cleanliness, National Beach Day is celebrated every year on 30 August.
History of National Beach Day
A National Beach Day was initially launched by the Knights of Columbus out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1929. However, the idea of celebrating the day did not gain much popularity at the time. Many decades later in 2014, a pet and family lifestyle expert Colleen Paige recreated National Beach Day which became an annual celebration.
Celebration of National Beach Day 2023
To celebrate National Beach Day, you can plan a visit to the nearest beach. There you can relax, play games, or involve in other fun activities with your friends or family. You can also take the initiative in cleaning up the beach to celebrate this day in the best manner. Educate yourself and others about the importance of keeping oceans and beaches clean, and their effect on the environment, and encourage them to take part in cleaning activities as well.
Interesting Facts Related to Beaches in the USA
- Revere Beach in Massachusetts opened in 1896 and was the first public beach in the United States.
- According to Leatherman’s ranking, St. George Island State Park is the best US beach in 2023.
- The country’s longest beach shoreline is in Alaska.
- New Smyrna Beach is known as “the world’s shark bite capital” as it experiences most shark attacks in the world
- There is a green sand beach in Hawaii, one out of only four in the world.
- Surfing in America originated in Hawaii.
- However, the title of ‘Surf City USA’ is claimed by Huntington Beach, California.
- There are many black sand beaches in Hawaii as a result of volcanic eruptions.
- At a beach protected by the United States Lifesaving Association, the chance of a person fatally drowning is 1 in 18 million.
- The Congress Hall is the oldest seaside resort in the United States.
10 Best Beaches in America in 2023
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, North Carolina
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Frequently Asked Questions
August 30, 2023
Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
National Beach Day is celebrated without any theme.
There is no holiday observed on National Beach Day.