Paralympics are organized after the completion of every summer Olympics. The 2024 Summer Paralympics or Paris 2024 Paralympics is officially known as the 17th Summer Paralympic Games 2024. This is the biggest sporting event as far as Para sports are concerned. International Paralympic Committee is the authority that holds the responsibility of managing Summer Paralympics.
Summer Paralympics 2024 to be held in Paris, France will start on 28th August 2024. This will be the first when Paris will be hosting the Paralympics games. The decision regarding the same was taken by IOC on 13th September 2017 at their conference in Lima, Peru. In today’s post, we are going to share complete details related to the Paralympics 2024.
Paris Paralympics 2024 Overview
|Host City||Paris, lle-de-France|
|Motto||Come Share (Venez Partager)|
|Nations||To be announced|
|Number of Athletes||To be announced|
|Number of Events||549 Medal Events in 22 sports|
|Date of opening Ceremony||28th August 2024|
|Closing Ceremony Date||8th September 2024|
|To be opened by||President of France (Expected)|
|Opening Ceremony Stadium||Stade de France|
Bids for Paralympics 2024
According to a part of a formal agreement between the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and IPC (International Paralympic Committee), the winner of 2024 summer Olympics bid will also host 2024 Summer Paralympics.
- For Summer Paralympics, five cities submitted their applications. These cities were Hamburg, Rome, Budapest, Los Angeles, and Paris.
- Due to various reasons, three cities i.e. Hamburg, Rome, and Budapest withdrew their applications. After their withdrawal, only two cities were left in contention i.e. Paris and Los Angeles.
- On 31st July 2017, the IOC announced that there is a proposal where 2024 Summer Olympics & Paralympics will be held in Paris, France. On the other hand, the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics will be held in Los Angeles.
- On 13th September 2017, at the 131st Session of the IOS, the proposal was accepted and Paris got the right to host Summer Paralympics 2024.
List of Games and Sports of 2024 Summer Paralympics
The list of the games in the Paris 2024 Summer Paralympics is the same as in 2024 Paralympics. There are going to be 549 medal events in 22 para sports.
- Archery – 5 Events
- Athletics – 164 Events
- Badminton – 16 Events
- Boccia – 11 Events
- Road Cycling – 34 Events
- Track Cycling – 17 Events
- Equestrian – 11 Events
- Football 5-a-side – 1 Event
- Goalball – 2 Events
- Judo – 16 Events
- Paracanoe – 10 Events
- Paratriathlon – 11 Events
- Powerlifting – 20 Events
- Rowing – 5 Events
- Shooting – 13 Events
- Sitting Volleyball – 13 Events
- Swimming – 141 Events
- Table Tennis – 31 Events
- Taekwondo – 10 Events
- Wheelchair Basketball – 2 Events
- Wheelchair Fencing – 16 Events
- Wheelchair Rugby – 1 Event
- Wheelchair Tennis – 6 Events
Paris Paralympics Venues 2024
Most of the events at the Paris Paralympics are going to be held in the city of Parish. However, a few events will also take place in the suburbs of Saint-Denis and Versailles, & Vaires-sur-Marne. The list of Paris 2024 Paralympics Venues is given in the following table.
|Grand Paris Zone|
|Stade de France||Opening and Closing Ceremonies/ Athletics (Track and Field)/ Road Cycling||78338|
|La Chapelle Arena||Badminton/ Powerlifting||6293|
|La Courneuve Shooting Range||Shooting Para Sport||–|
|Paris Centre Zone|
|Paris Bercy Arena||Wheelchair Basketball||15000|
|Champ de Mars Arena||Judo/ Wheelchair Rugby||12000|
|Eiffel Tower Stadium||Football 5-a-side||–|
|Esplanade des Invalides||Archery|
|Grand Palais||Taekwondo/ Wheelchair Fenching||8000|
|Stade Pierre de Coubertin||Goalball||–|
|Stade Roland Garros||Sitting Volleyball/ Wheelchair Tennis||34000|
|South Paris Arena 1||Boccia||–|
|Grand Palais Ephemere||Table Tennis||–|
|Chateau de Versailles||Equestrian||80000 (22000 + 58000)|
|Paris La Defense Arena||Swimming||–|
|National Olympics Nautical of lle-de-France (Vaires-sur-Marne)||Paracanoe/ Rowing||22000|
|Velodrome National and BMX Stadium||Cycling (Track)||–|
|Non – Competitive Venues|
|Le Bourget||Media Village/ International Broadcast Centre/ Main Press Centre||–|
Other Facts about Paris Paralympics 2024
Here are some important facts and figures that you should know about Paris Paralympics 2024.
- France is going to be hosting its first-ever summer Paralympics Games in 2024. However, it is already hosted Summer Olympics twice before.
- The Paralympics Games at Paris in 2024 will include 22 sports with 549 events.
- The opening ceremony will be held on 28th August 2024 and the closing ceremony will take place on 8th September 2024.
- These Paralympics games will provide the perfect opportunities for sportspeople with motor disabilities (amputated or missing limbs, cerebral palsy, paraplegia, tetraplegia, hemiplegia, dwarfism, etc.), sensory disabilities (visual impairment) to showcase their talent.
- Sportspersons with intellectual disabilities can also participate and achieve sporting excellence.
- The emblem of Paris Paralympics and Olympics is the same. It is for the first the Paralympics Game will share the emblem with their corresponding Olympics with no variation at all. Tony Estanguet (President of Paris Olympics 2024) stated the reason behind this. He stated that it is intended to reflect the two events sharing a single “ambition”. He further added that we all should include sports in our daily routine no matter what is our age or disability we have, etc.
India at Paralympics 2024
- India has its best Paralympics at Tokyo 2020. Here, our athlete clinched 19 medals including 5 gold medals.
- India is expected to improve its performance at Paris 2024. The list of Paralympians that clinched medals for India in the previous Paralympics.
- Avani Lekhara – Shooting – Women’s 10 m Air Rifle SH1
- Sumit Antil – Athletics – Men’s Javelin Throw F64
- Manish Narwal – Shooting – Mixed 50m Pistol SH1
- Pramod Bhagat – Badminton – Men’s Singles SL3
- Krishna Nagar – Badminton – Men’s Singles SH6
- Bhavina Patel – Table Tennis – Women’s Singles C4
- Nishad Kumar – Athletics – Men’s High Jump T47
- Yogesh Kathuniya – Athletics – Men’s Discus Throw F56
- Devendra Jhajharia – Athletics – Men’s Javelin Throw F46
- Mariyappan Thangavelu – Athletics – Men’s High Jump T63
- Praveen Kumar – Athletics – Men’s High Jump T64
- Singhraj Adhana – Shooting – Men’s 50m Pistol SH1
- Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj – Badminton – Men’s Singles SL4
- Sundar Singh Gurjar – Athletics – Men’s Javelin Throw F46
- Singhraj Adhana – Shooting – Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1
- Sharad Kumar – Athletics – Men’s High Jump T63
- Avani Lekhara – Shooting – Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1
- Harvinder Singh – Archery – Men’s Individual Recurve Open
- Manoj Sarkar – Badminton – Men’s Singles SL3
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: What are the 22 Paralympics sports to be played at Paris Paralympics 2024?
Answer: The list of 22 Paralympics sports to be played in Paris are as follows.
- Blind Football
- Para Archery
- Para Athletics
- Para Badminton
- Para Canoe
- Para Cycling (Road and Track)
- Para Equestrian (Para Dressage)
- Para Judo
- Para Powerlifting
- Para Rowing
- Para Swimming
- Para Table tennis
- Para Taekwondo
- Para Triathlon
- Shooting Para Sport
- Sitting Volleyball
- Wheelchair Fencing
- Wheelchair Rugby
- Wheelchair Tennis
Question – 2: Who are the sponsors of Paralympics 2024?
Answer: The list of partners of Paralympics is given below.
- Worldwide Partner – AirBNB, Alibaba Group, Allianz, Atos, Bridgestone, Coca-Cola, Intel, Omega, Panasonic, P&G, Samsung, Toyota, Visa
- Premium Partner – Group BPCE, EDF, Orange, Sanofi
- Official Partner – Decathlon, Cisco, FDJ, le coq sportif,PWC, All
Questions – 3: How many countries will participate in the Paris Paralympics 2024?
Answer: It is yet to be announced by the authorities. Actually, it depends upon the number of para athletes qualifying for the Olympics.
Question – 4: What is the emblem of 2024 Summer Paralympics?
Answer: The emblem of both Paris Olympics and Paralympics is the same i.e. A stylized rendition of Marianne. It was unveiled on 21st October 2019 at the Grand Rex.
Question – 5: Will there be any sports at Paris Paralympics 2022 as compared to the last Paralympics?
Answer: No, there is no new sports. The list of sports will be the same.