As per a recent UN estimate, 75% of disabled children in India never enroll in an educational institution in their lives. Owing to the availability of a comprehensive education policy that includes mechanisms to make the Indian school system inclusive, this is still the case.
Inclusive education is an important approach in which children with disabilities (CWD) join the very same institutions as children who do not have impairments. To fulfill student needs, this educational method emphasizes adjustments in system-level practices and regulations.
Even though India has a range of education laws and regulations, statistics and on-the-ground experiences demonstrate that an atmosphere of inclusiveness has yet to be created. Nonetheless, there are several schools dedicated to handicapped children. This blog will take a look at all those best schools in India for disabled children 2022.
Best Schools in India for Disabled Children 2022
Did you fed up with searching school for special child near me, here is the list of best schools for disabled students in India:
School of Hope: Tamana Foundation
Tamana is a non-profit volunteer organization that follows the National Open School Program and was founded in 1985. It is India’s first rehabilitation and research facility for autistic people, and it was the first institution to identify autism as a unique disorder from others. The Tamana Autism Centre – School of Hope was founded to assist those who are cognitively disabled, mentally challenged, or autistic.
The late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, India’s former president, on August 19, 2003, opened the Autism Centre-Tamana, a school dedicated entirely too autistic children.
Apna Fan Club, a social engagement platform for intellectually challenged adults and adolescents, is housed within the centre. The club provides services for:
- V. room,
- Creative arts,
- Computer skills and yoga.
- ECI (Early Intervention Centre),
- Dance and movements,
- Diagnostic centre, and
- Boys’ hostel.
|Location||23-K, CGHS Colony, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi 110057|
Umang is a non-profit organization that helps persons with impairments such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, autism, and other disabilities. Umang offers a wide range of programs to help children with special needs have a better life. Every child is unique, necessitating a tailored approach to learning. Every kid at Umang has an individual growth plan called an IEP (Individual Education Plan) that is tailored to his or her requirements.
It is a specialized special education centre. It was recently given the designation of State Nodal Agency Centre of the National Trust of India. For those with disabilities, Umang offers a full and holistic learning experience. Students aged 2 to 18 are given the chance to reach their full potential and improve their learning via specialized training and personnel. Over 200 children receive academic, functional, and special education services through Individual Education Plans (IEPs).
The school Provides:
- Proper Ventilated Classrooms
- Inclusive Education
- Students have set aside time for activities such as games, athletics, dancing, theatre, painting, art and craft, adventure, and so on. For trekking and mountaineering, the youngsters are accompanied by staff and qualified personnel.
- Physiotherapy unit with all the necessary equipment
- Language trainers and speech therapists
- Counselling and Home Management
- Employment and Vocational Training
- Outstation field trips every year
|Location||Shipra Path, near Technology Park, Shanthi Nagar, Mansarovar, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302020|
Aditya Birla Integrated School
Mumbai’s Aditya Birla Integrated School is a co-ed day school for students with special needs. The Aditya Birla Education Trust founded the school in 2014, and it is associated with the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) and the Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE). English is used as the medium of instruction.
Children with academic impairments such as autism, mental retardation, and aphasia, as well as cognitive impairment are nurtured at the school. It gives several options for pupils to meet their varied demands. The school encourages co-curricular activities and therapeutic programs in addition to academics. The school has a diverse group of top-educated experts, teachers, and counselors that use the most up-to-date worldwide techniques based on individual skill levels and focusing on the child’s learning skills and emotional needs.
The school campus hosts:
- Outstanding academic resources, as well as lots of outdoor playing equipment in a well-kept environment for different co-curricular activities such as dance, painting, music, drama, electronics, gymnastics and aerobics, games, and sports clubs.
- Football, cricket, swimming, and chess are examples of sports that are taught here.
- In addition, the school organizes field trips and excursions based on the yearbook’s topic.
- It also hosts seminars on civic awareness, social conditioning, drug abuse, and safe internet usage, sex ed, personality development, managing stress as well as academic performance, and mental wellbeing.
- The institution also hosts an eye camp and dental exams.
- As part of their daily program, the school provides varied learning methodologies such as speech and language therapy, animal and aided pet therapy, and behaviour modification treatment.
|Location||Dr Dadabhai Naoroji Rd, opposite CST Station, Azad Maidan, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001|
P.J. Sadhana School
SPJ Sadhana School in Mumbai is an ISO 9000-2001 accredited school that serves as a resource centre for training people with disabilities and retraining instructors on efficient teaching methods. The school educates 114 challenged kids ranging in age from four to twenty-one years.
SPJ Sadhana School strives to help children understand and achieve great results by providing chances for them to learn, grow, enjoy life, and make their own decisions, therefore aiding them in becoming self-sufficient.
The school campus provides:
- A Learning environment for the mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth of every child
- High-quality lecture rooms
- State-of-the-art laboratories
- Well-maintained gardens and
- Proper facilities for movement of the children
|Location||Dr. Rosendo Rideiro Children’s Complex Sophia College Campus, Bhulabhai Desai Ro, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400026|
Amar Jyoti School
Amar Jyoti School has been offering free-of-charge education to an equal number of impaired and non-disabled children for the past 31 years.
Amar Jyoti School, Delhi, is a K-VIII school accredited with CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) and NIOS (National Institute of Open School) and has an identical sister school in Gwalior, which was also founded by the trust in 1989.
Undoubtedly, this pioneering inclusive institution has won multiple awards, including two National Awards from the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in 1995 and 2001 for establishing barrier-free surroundings for persons with disabilities and working for the cause of persons with disabilities through education. Due to all these reasons Amar Jyoti School can be considered one of the Best Disabled Children School in India.
The school provides the following services:
- 40 classrooms in which classes take place for children with special requirements.
- Built on a 1 acre site with a 13,500 sq. ft. built-up area (with 20,000 sq. ft dedicated to the hospital rehabilitation block),
- Ramps, loop induction amenities, and vehicles with hydraulic lifts pick up and drop off kids, allowing for simple access and equitable education for disabled children.
- science and computer labs that are well-equipped,
- a 10,000-volume collection library and ten newspaper subscriptions
- The Asia Philanthropy Foundation has financed a dedicated Braille Library with 760 Braille textbooks and 86 Braille narrative books for visually impaired pupils.
|Location||Karkardooma, Vikas Marg, Delhi, 110092|
Asha Kiran Special Needs School
The Asha Kiran Special Needs School in Bangalore is a special needs school that is accredited by the National Institute of Open Schooling and is recognized by the Government of India as a “Special Accredited Institutions for the Education of the Disadvantaged” [SAIED]. Children with disabilities, dyslexia, visual impairment, mental difficulties, slow learners, and children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are served by the institutions.
Dr. Rita James created Asha Kiran Special Needs School, which was registered as a charitable trust under the Trust Act of India in Bangalore in December 1993. The school’s mission is to provide the greatest quality education possible, to aid in the child’s entire development, and to provide students with vocational training so that they may find work when they reach adulthood.
The school hosts:
- Four-floor building and
- A huge playground with mango trees and plenty of fresh air. It creates a supportive atmosphere for each child’s mental, bodily, religious, and emotional development.
- Well resourced library,
- Audiovisual/computer lab, composite science lab, maths lab
- Teacher’s room,
- Dining hall,
- A counseling room,
- Art room,
- Classrooms, speech and therapy room,
- Auditorium and administrative block,
- Dormitories that accommodate 50 boarders, and
- A common room.
|Location||HL 212, Esther Gardens, Jayanthi Nagar – Ramamurthy Nagar Road, Hormavu, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560016|
Mata Bhagwanti Chadha Niketan (MBCN)
Mata Bhagwanti Chadha Niketan (MBCN), founded in July 1999, is a nonprofit special school for physically or mentally challenged children run by the Ponty Chadha Foundation. It’s devoted to the rehabilitation of children with intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, dementia, and other impairments. It strives to provide students, trainees, and their families with the best possible quality of life.
The school campus hosts:
- 35 classrooms,
- one physiotherapy hall,
- four speech therapy departments,
- one seminar hall,
- Kitchen, canteen and a dining hall.
- Wheelchair users will find a ramp and a sensor-operated door at the entry.
- Wheelchair users can use the toilets, which have larger doors and cubicles. Children’s washbasins are supplied at a low height.
- According to NBC standards, the building is fully equipped with a fire-fighting system.
- CCTV surveillance ensures the protection of children.
- There is enough parking for all vehicles, including buses, on the site.
- The school has a sufficient power supply.
|Location||A-12, Noida-Greater Noida Expy, Block B, Sector 132, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301|
The Gateway School of Mumbai is a non-profit school for kids with learning impairments that was founded by the Keshav lal V. Bodani Education Foundation. It is a co-ed day school with English as the language of instruction that is connected with the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) in the United Kingdom.
In Mumbai and throughout India, the school provides high-quality education based on the best worldwide standards in the fields of special education and rehabilitative therapies. The school aspires to provide more opportunities for children to acquire the information, understanding, creativity, skill, and attitude necessary for them to become responsible people of the future.
The Gateway School has the following facilities:
- Therapy Spaces and Classroom
- Indoor Gym
- Interaction Room
- Computing Zone & Library
- Sound Insulator in the Building to prevent noise from outside.
- Free Play Area
- Ample Space for Wheelchairs
- Lifts & Ramps for easy movement
|Location||Sion-Trombay Road, Chembur East, next to Deonar Bus Depot, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400088|
|Contact No.||+91-22-25563613, +91-22-25563614|
In our country, children with disabilities are largely seen as receivers of charity and care, such as special education, open classroom, and one-on-one instruction. There is a need to go further, to acknowledge disability as an identification and a kind of variety rather than merely a deficiency, for example, suggesting the standardization of Indian Sign Language as a beneficial language system for all pupils, not just those with hearing problems.
That is, children with disabilities have educational obstacles as a result of a restrictive curriculum, inadequate classrooms and schools, a lack of adapted evaluations, and deficit attitudes that limit what handicapped children can accomplish.
So, it’s high time that these children also get the benefit of all the schools which have been established for them.
Also check- Best Schools in India