Indian Armed Forces Personnel and Ex-servicemen get a lot of benefits apart from their salaries and pensions. One such benefit is the CSD smart shopping card. CSD stands for Canteen Stores Department. Through this store, the armed forces personnel can get a range of products at subsidized prices. Even four-wheelers and two-wheelers are also available through this store. To be able to buy through the CSD store, you need to register on the official website. In this post, we are providing the complete step-by-step process of CSD login and registration.
Canteen Stores Department Highlights
|Name of the department||CSD|
|Date of Foundation||1st January 1948|
|Headquarters||Adelphi, 119 Maharshi Karve Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Predecessors||Army Canteen Board (until 1927) |
Canteen Contractors’ Syndicate (CCS) (1927-42)Directorate of Wholesale Trade and Indian Canteen Corps (1942-47)
|Management Authority||Ministry of Defence|
Also check: Best Intelligence Agencies in the World
Step by step process of Canteen Stores Department Online Registration
It is easy to register in the Canteen Stores Department’s website. All you have to do is follow the steps mentioned below.
- In order to begin the registration, you will have to visit the official website i.e. afd.csdindia.gov.in.
- On the official website, you need to click on the register button.
- Then, the registration form will appear on your screen.
- In this registration form, you will have to provide the following details.
- Name as printed on the front face of grocery canteen card
- Card ID printed on the front face of the grocery card (Alphanumeric no. starting with GA/GB/GC/GE like grocery card id GA01052027551000J00. Third last is alphabet not number)
- Chip number printed on the back of canteen card or printed on the grocery bill( 16 Digit No. (5312120004689336). Given on reverse of grocery card at bottom right. Also given on grocery bill.)
- Mobile number
- Employment status – Servicemen, ESM, Serving Defence Civilians, On deputation
- Organization – Army, Air Force, Navy, Assam Rifles, Coast Guard, GREF, Other Uniformed Organisations, Defence Civilians
- Date of birth
- Date of Enrollment/ Commissioning ( It is date of joining service. Not Date of Promotion to JCO. Not Date of Joining DSC/other service. )
- Date of retirement
- Entitlement category
- PPO/ Discharge No. (ESM)
- PAN number
- Confirm Email address
- Password that you want to keep for your account
- Confirm the password.
- Scroll down to the bottom and enter the captcha code.
- Finally, click on the “Submit” button.
You will receive your login credentials after submit the form. Then, you may sign-in and start shopping.
Also check: Strongest Navies in the World
Eligibility Criteria for CSD New Registration
Please note that CSD card holder can’t buy a four wheeler through CSD. The complete eligibility criteria to buy from the CSD are given below.
Eligibility Criteria to buy 4 wheeler through CSD
Personnel (Serving and Retired) & Widows (As applicable)
Pay Level 3A to 6
|Rs. 6 lakhs excluding taxes||• 1st car while in service and 2nd car after Retirement.
• 1st car after min 5 Years of service. Gap between purchase of 2 cars to be 8 years.
• For Widows, if the late husband had purchased a car each while in service and after retirement then the widow will not be eligible to buy a car.
• In case late husband had purchased only one car while in service, then widow can buy one car through CSD after a gap of 8 years from the date of last purchase.
|Armed Forces Personnel (Serving and Retired) and Widows as applicable Pay Level 7 to 9||Rs. 7 lakhs excluding taxes||• 1st car as an OR, 2nd car on promotion as JCO and 3rd car after retirement.
• 1st car after min 5 years of service.Gap between purchase of 2 cars to be Eight years. (For Widows, if the last husband had purchased a car each while in service as well as after retirement then the widow will not be eligible to buy a car. In case late husband had purchased car (s) only while in service, then widow can buy one car through CSD after a gap of Eight years from the date of last purchase.)
|Armed Forces Personnel (Serving and Retired) and Widows (as applicable)
Pay Level 10-18
|Rs. 15 lakhs excluding taxes||Once in eight years|
|Civil Defence Officers (Serving only) Pay Level 11 to 18||Rs. 15 lakhs excluding taxes||Once is eight years|
Eligibility Criteria to buy Other AFD Items (Two Wheeler/ Ac / Fridge / Washing Machine, etc)
The canteen smartcard holders of the following categories are authorised to buy AFD Items
- Armed Forces personnel (Serving & Retired).
- Civil Defence Employees (Serving only).
- Gap between purchase of same item/ two wheeler to be min four years.
Check process of How to become MARCOS Commando
Frequently Asked Questions
No, all categories of smartcard holders are eligible to buy other AFD items than car irrespective of their service period.
No, it is no possible the change pre-filled details in the checkout form. Please note that details are picked up from the registration form that the user filled while registration.
There is no need to worry. You may easily reset Canteen Store Department login password by clicking on the “lost your password” button on the login page.
It is an indication that an username is already registered with the email ID.
You need to have the following document at the time of the registration.
Grocery Card/ Canteen Card
Beneficiary Mobile Number